• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My eBay pet peeve - Sellers with Best Offer Options who don't want to negotiate
1 1

116 posts in this topic

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

I agree with you. It's totally token, and not at all a serious negotiation counter. It's a subtle "eff you." If you'd offered 10% off my books, I would have accepted in a heartbeat.

Really? Interesting, I had no idea that I needed to up my BIN part, thanks. 

See I feel bad because I had a listing at $369 and was offered $315, which was automatically rejected due to my listing :(

there have been other threads RMA :foryou: that you said that it was possible to reach out to rejected bid's and make an offer. I told them I'd go as low as $340, and I heard crickets.... :(

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I agree with you. It's totally token, and not at all a serious negotiation counter. It's a subtle "eff you." If you'd offered 10% off my books, I would have accepted in a heartbeat.

Really? Interesting, I had no idea that I needed to up my BIN part, thanks. 

See I feel bad because I had a listing at $369 and was offered $315, which was automatically rejected due to my listing :(

there have been other threads RMA :foryou: that you said that it was possible to reach out to rejected bid's and make an offer. I told them I'd go as low as $340, and I heard crickets.... :(

I don't quite get what you're saying here....?

I was responding to Mad Genius, if that helps clarify.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I was just stating that I'd accept $340, which is less than 10% off from my $369 price....and it had a best offer; and I missed the chance to "negotiate" because it autoregected an offer of $315. I reached out to them, but crickets...

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is exactly how I took that counter offer. Not even a serious counter IMO. Anything I have listed on eBay with "Best Offer" has AT LEAST 10% wiggle room in the price. If I'm not willing to discount an item at least that much I won't even bother with the Best Offer option. Total waste of time for both parties.

That and you had stated that 10% off with best offer was perfectly reasonable lol

I'm trying to say that I'm learning from you, feel free to correct :foryou:

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I was just stating that I'd accept $340, which is less than 10% off from my $369 price....and it had a best offer; and I missed the chance to "negotiate" because it autoregected an offer of $315. I reached out to them, but crickets...

1 minute ago, MadGenius said:

This is exactly how I took that counter offer. Not even a serious counter IMO. Anything I have listed on eBay with "Best Offer" has AT LEAST 10% wiggle room in the price. If I'm not willing to discount an item at least that much I won't even bother with the Best Offer option. Total waste of time for both parties.

Thanks for letting me know :foryou:

I wouldn't have known that on my own. As you have stated, when I try a best offer with that much off with someone, I get rejected. I figured that was just the way it was meh I'll try not to be "that guy" for you. 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

That and you had stated that 10% off with best offer was perfectly reasonable lol

For me...your mileage may vary. If you had a book at $369, and GPA was around that, I would think $340 was a reasonable offer. Sometimes, you get crickets. 

It hasn't happened a lot, but there have been a couple of times where I didn't take an offer I thought was a little low...and it ended up being a reallly good offer in the end, because the book tanked. I'm looking at you, NYX #4 in 9.8!

:D

Just an extra thought, some buyers have, let's say, $350 to spend, they pick 4 or 5 books above $350 (maybe $369 to $400) and offer $320, believing no one will accept but they might counter.  Then they take the first counter at $350.  That results in crickets for all the other sellers, and no negotiation.

Edited by valiantman

4 hours ago, DjMartini said:

My pet peeve is when a buyer puts in an Offer, I counter and then I never hear from them again. If both parties have the ability to counter (I think at least 3 or 4 times), why not use them all to meet somewhere in the middle? 

Amen! That's happened a couple of times. I've countered the original offer only to have the 48 hours expire with cricket sounds from the other party. If you can't meet the seller's counter make another counter or decline it so not to waste people's time!!!

Another thing is people messaging you regarding your listing asking "what's your best offer" or asking if you could go for X amount of money without bothering to put in an offer. Usually the X amount is some ridiculously un-serious low ball number. These people blow!!!

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Just an extra thought, some buyers have, let's say, $350 to spend, they pick 4 or 5 books above $350 (maybe $369 to $400) and offer $330.  Then they take the first counter at $350.  That results in crickets for all the other sellers, and no negotiation.

Valid points and what "I" assumed, but maybe this should be baked into the "BIN"? No? I have no idea really, but interesting discussion 

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Amen! That's happened a couple of times. I've countered the original offer only to have the 48 hours expire with cricket sounds from the other party. If you can't meet the seller's counter make another counter or decline it so not to waste people's time!!!

Another thing is people messaging you regarding your listing asking "what's your best offer" or asking if you could go for X amount of money without bothering to put in an offer. Usually the X amount is some ridiculously un-serious low ball number. These people blow!!!

See as a buyer or seller I wouldn't mind the back and forth, but I've always offered maybe $20 off.

Most the time I get offer accepted, with sometimes they want to meet half way with $10 off.... usually equating to free shipping lol

This 10% off thing is blowing my frickin mind lol

3 hours ago, MadGenius said:

Nope. My initial best offer was just that - my best offer. The item wasn't a must have for me and wasn't especially rare, so I didn't have a problem walking away if I couldn't get my price, which was more than reasonable. 

Did you include that message stating you couldn't go any higher along with your offer? eBay lets you include messages with offers

1 hour ago, MadGenius said:

2% off is not a negotiation in my mind. To me, that is basically a take it or leave it offer. 

This.  And thats the end of negotiation because by doing that the seller is signalling he's not gonna budge.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

See as a buyer or seller I wouldn't mind the back and forth, but I've always offered maybe $20 off.

Most the time I get offer accepted, with sometimes they want to meet half way with $10 off.... usually equating to free shipping lol

This 10% off thing is blowing my frickin mind lol

I wouldn't mind either if these were serious offers

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Valid points and what "I" assumed, but maybe this should be baked into the "BIN"? No? I have no idea really, but interesting discussion 

I'm kind of the opposite of my example. When I try a Best Offer, it's usually because either I don't need the book but I would take it for a good deal or because I already like the price and wonder if a Best Offer might essentially negate the shipping cost.

So, if I don't need the book, I would be looking for a nice drop (15% or so), but if I like the price, I just want free shipping.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If this is true I have overpaid many times :sorry:

Me too, I guess... but I don't haggle back and forth. That's just time and frustration that isn't worth my dollars.

I have had sellers come back at $1 off the original price with a message that they rally can't budge on the price. :facepalm:

As long as we are putting up our pet peaves. Sellers that put a reserve on their auctions. Does that ever work out?

18 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Did you include that message stating you couldn't go any higher along with your offer? eBay lets you include messages with offers

I've never done this because I don't really see the point, but if I did I don't think it would have mattered. Seller apparently didn't want to budge much off the BIN. That's fine, but then the listing shouldn't have a Best Offer option if that's the case.

1 hour ago, MadGenius said:

If you list expecting at least to give 10% off, why not list it already with 10% off?

If someone offers 10% less than your ask, do you auto-take it, or make a counter offer?