• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Determines Values?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello , I am not really new to collecting but I have always done it for my love of art , x-men and certain artists from the 1960's. I have a large collection of basically anything to do with the uncanny x-men including uncanny x-men 1-300 , new mutants 1-100 , x-factor 1-100, hulk 181 and even the spin-offs and some guest appearances in other runs. Value is something that is not too important for me but I do notice sometimes when I log onto comicspriceguide.com I find books that drop sometimes 1000$ in one night. I am EXTREAMLY curious as to who decides that all of a sudden Fanstastic Four #28 is worth 299$ instead of 1400$ in 8.0 and how is that even possible unless all the prices are not legit in the first place. Some of these books are over 40 years old so I do not see how they can change in price so rapidly , did someone just unearth 400 copies of this old book? if so where is the news about it or any idea of why. Please anyone who can shed some light into these type of mysteries I would be super grateful. 

This statement is generic but true...

"Any Collectible Is Only Worth What A Collector Is Willing To Pay For It."

Some Newer/Modern books become "Hot" due to Movies or Gimmick Covers, etc. and skyrocket in value for a "short" period of time due to supply and demand, then when the "hype" dies down the prices come back down to earth.

Anybody can change a price at anytime and ask any amount that they choose, if nobody buys it then it is obviously not worth the price they are asking for it.

FMV is generally determined by what a book sells for at auction (eBay, My Comic Shop, Comic Connect, Heritage, etc.)

Checking eBay sold listings will tell you what people are actually willing to pay for them.

The Overstreet Price Guide although it is never current is based on "Average" selling prices throughout the previous year.

As a retired econometrician, I’ll defer to my pedogocical instincts to elaborate on jerkfro’s well founded comment that the market determines price.  

Price is a function of supply and demand.  For the investor, the current equilibrium price is probably of less interest than how prices will change. For the market price to change, there has to be a shift in either the supply curve or the demand curve.  

Among many other things, demand is a function of disposable income.  As today’s youngsters who may have a deeper connection with Harry Potter and Marvel movies enter the work force in 10-20 years and gain more disposable income, it is very reasonable that the demand curve for these type of items  will gradually shift with corresponding increases in equilibrium prices.

Similarly, when the economy crashed in 2008, several important things happened in the collectibles market caused by shifts in both supply and demand.  First, due to a reduction in invested assets and overall liquidity, the market was flooded with people trying to sell collectibles to raise cash (shift in supply).  Additionally, the demand for collectibles also shifted as individuals with economic concerns lacked adequate capital and were concerned with the risk associated with these types of investments.

The overall decline in price during this period was exacerbated by both shifting supply and demand curves.

This is clearly a very simplified, dumbed down illustration.  I simply want to suggest if you want know where prices are likely to go in the future, try to understand what factors influence supply and demand and how these forces are likely to evolve over time.

Sorry for the rant.  While I enjoy collecting comics, I clearly defer to you experts in an attempt gain knowledge and insight.  Pricing theory, on the other hand, is more in my domain so I had a hard time refraining from comment!

On 8/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, EzraPetruik said:

Hello , I am not really new to collecting but I have always done it for my love of art , x-men and certain artists from the 1960's. I have a large collection of basically anything to do with the uncanny x-men including uncanny x-men 1-300 , new mutants 1-100 , x-factor 1-100, hulk 181 and even the spin-offs and some guest appearances in other runs. Value is something that is not too important for me but I do notice sometimes when I log onto comicspriceguide.com I find books that drop sometimes 1000$ in one night. I am EXTREAMLY curious as to who decides that all of a sudden Fanstastic Four #28 is worth 299$ instead of 1400$ in 8.0 and how is that even possible unless all the prices are not legit in the first place. Some of these books are over 40 years old so I do not see how they can change in price so rapidly , did someone just unearth 400 copies of this old book? if so where is the news about it or any idea of why. Please anyone who can shed some light into these type of mysteries I would be super grateful. 

Just curious when was FF #28 worth $1400? Looking at GPA, 2016 price average 8.0 was $334, 2017 price average was $333, most recent sale this year was $318. I have never input my comics into comicspriceguide.com so I'm not really familiar with how they work. Perhaps they had it entered incorrectly &someone recently caught the mistake and made a correction? Seems more likely than it dropped to almost 1/5th of it's previous value overnight. Other than that there was a 9.2 that sold in 2017 for $1434. That's the closest I see to that price. (shrug)