• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Russ Heath, DC War legend, passes away at 91
3 3

83 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

From Newsarama:

Russ Heath

"The family of Russ Heath has confirmed the comic book legend passed away Thursday evening at the age of 91 in Long Beach, California, after battling cancer.

Born in 1927, Heath broke into comic books working on Western stories for Timely Comics (now Marvel Entertainment), including Two-Gun Kid.

Moving on to horror and war stories, Heath worked for EC Comics for a time before co-creating the Haunted Tank at DC Comics and drawing the first appearance of the Losers.

Heath’s illustrations were well known outside of comic books as well. Several panels of fighter jets from his work on DC war comic books were appropriated by Roy Lichtenstein for his paintings, including his works “Blam,” “Brattata,” and “Whaam.”

Heath also contributed to Playboy’s comic strip Little Annie Fanny – even living at the Playboy Mansion for a brief period.

Heath also worked in commercial art, illustrating battle scenes to advertise toy soldiers which ran in comic books for many years.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl
MTUzNTEyNTM2OQ==
Credit: Russ Heath

In his career, Heath was recognized with a 1997 Inkpot award, a 2010 Comic Art Professional Society Sergio Award, and the National Cartoonists Society’s Milton Caniff Award in 2014. In 2009, he was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame."

I had the opportunity to get to know the crusty old guy earlier this year, for which I am immensely grateful. He lived about a mile away from where I moved last year, so I got to visit many times before he relocated to Long Beach in the spring. He was a kick in the pants, let me tell you. 

Thanks for letting me into your life, old fella, and I'll see you again.

Very sad news indeed. A true legend, and one of my favorite artists of all time.  :(

4 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

:( So sorry to hear this, such beautiful work from this man. Thanks to him for all the great stories.

@entalmighty1 will want to know this.

Very sad to hear this.  He was one of my all time favorites.  DC War wouldn't be worth looking at without Heath and Kubert.

:sorry: 

Russ will always be remembered by me for his beautiful Star Spangled War Stories dinosaur covers and stories.  Couldn't get enough of those as a kid when they were being issued.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at an NYC comic book show a few years ago.  Got him to sign 131 (at the bottom of pg 1 NOT on the cover lol) - Russ cover and story...

Edited by pemart1966

24 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I loved this man's work oh how the world will miss him.Rip Mr Heath :angel:

...and he was such a genuinely cool guy.... I wish I could have been at one of those SDCC Dinners …….. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu