• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aaarrghh....I knew it was coming
4 4

41 posts in this topic

Pardon the vent - Knew this was coming and there was discussion in one of the HA threads but just got the email...

Dear Jeff,

Please note: As of September 1st, Heritage Auctions will be required by state law to charge applicable sales tax on any items delivered to addresses in Oklahoma for the following categories: Art & Antiques, Comics, Currency, Entertainment, Historical, Jewelry, Timepieces & Luxury Accessories, Movie Posters, and Sports. 

Exemptions include dealers with valid sales tax numbers who are purchasing for resale and who furnish us with a properly completed resale certificate for Oklahoma.

Please see paragraph #25 in our Terms and Conditions for more complete information.

Sincerely,

Heritage Client Services
3500 Maple Ave. 17th Floor
Dallas, TX 75219-3941
Bid@HA.com
1-800-872-6467

I love having Heritage down the street from me here in Texas. I will sometimes drop by at their live auctions, and I dropped in on the Verzyl reception they hosted after funeral services.

but I hate hate hate paying the local taxes!! I always tell myself I won’t bid more than $1k on anything but I always do 

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

So true, Jack.

Will Rogers, an Oklahoman said, "The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."

Everyone knows how to spend your money better than you do lol

9 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’m not sure about that if you are selling them too and reporting it.  (shrug)

Im not a CPA 

I have one chained to a desk in the basement;) 

You can as far as I know, just use it for ones you INTEND to sell. For a lot of us, we just buy books to keep and the selling is incidental...

30 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Im not a CPA 

You’re not supposed to but really if you are doing it as a business what’s your collection and what’s inventory can blur and no one is likely to find out unless you put up a red flag in some way with which is which.

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Im not a CPA 

You can as far as I know, just use it for ones you INTEND to sell. For a lot of us, we just buy books to keep and the selling is incidental...

Is there a deadline that you have to sell your purchases by in order to qualify?  hm

After all, everybody sells eventually whether it's a few months later or a few decades later.  (thumbsu

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is there a deadline that you have to sell your purchases by in order to qualify?  hm

After all, everybody sells eventually whether it's a few months later or a few decades later.  (thumbsu

That’s it. Only you would know what’s in play or not in your inventory and/or collection. You’re on the honor system there depending on your own conscience.

Kind of like when you claim a lunch as a business meeting or use office products for anything other than business uses. 

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:
17 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
17 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Im not a CPA 

The deadline is the day before you're called in by the IRS for an audit .... 

34 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:
17 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
17 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Im not a CPA 

The deadline is the day before you're called in by the IRS for an audit .... 

Well, that still gives you a full 24 hours for you to contact either CC or CL to draft up and back date (only if necessary) an invoice for you acknowledging receipt of your books for their next auction.  :bigsmile:

I wouldn't even bother with Heritage because I highly doubt they would be willing to do something like this for you.  (tsk)  lol