• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Green Lantern Comics

15 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

We have one for the Flash. What are the rarest Green Lantern Comics? These come to my mind right away.

comallamerican89.jpg

I'm no resident GA Green Lantern expert, but I have come across #89 quite a few times at local shows/stores. I'm not sure it's exceedingly rare, at least not in comparison to some other specific issues.

Edited by Howling Mad

I don’t think #30 and #38 are rare by any means but #30,34,36 and #38 are all popular and quickly left in collections when obtained. You can debate if it’s due to being Streak covers or drawn by Toth (I think both!). #30 gets a bit of a boost too for  being the first appearance of Streak and collectors have always been drawn to those last issues of series in the GA.

Edited by N e r V

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

I don’t think #30 and #38 are rare by any means but #30,34,36 and #38 are all popular and quickly left in collections when obtained. You can debate if it’s due to being Streak covers or drawn by Toth (I think both!). #30 gets a bit of a boost too for  being the first appearance of Streak and collectors have always been drawn to those last issues of series in the GA.

I put together a GL run. 6.0+ and no resto. Wasn’t easy.

Strongly disagree with you on #30. That’s a rare mainstream book. There are a couple beaters floating around, but good luck getting a VG+ or better copy. I bought mine in ~2014. It’s a 6.0, and it’s the best I’ve seen since (and the best I had seen at least 3 years before). The census only has four copies at or above grade. I agree with you on #38, though -- not all that challenging, relatively speaking.

GL #31-33 and #36-37 are rough. Particularly in grade. I think #2 is fairly tough too, though there are ~30 in the census. 

On the All-American, I can only speak to #89-102. Those are all tough, if you want a decent copy. #89 is challenging in grade. Very tough, in fact. #102 is probably easiest in that set, but certainly not plentiful. I adore that part of the title. Under appreciated.

10 minutes ago, BarristerBaker said:

Strongly disagree with you on #30. That’s a rare mainstream book. There are a couple beaters floating around, but good luck getting a VG+ or better copy. I bought mine in ~2014. It’s a 6.0, and it’s the best I’ve seen since (and the best I had seen at least 3 years before). The census only has four copies at or above grade. I agree with you on #38, though -- not all that challenging, relatively speaking.

GL #31-33 and #36-37 are rough. Particularly in grade. I think #2 is fairly tough too, though there are ~30 in the census. 

On the All-American, I can only speak to #89-102. Those are all tough, if you want a decent copy. #89 is challenging in grade. Very tough, in fact. #102 is probably easiest in that set, but certainly not plentiful. I adore that part of the title. Under appreciated.

I was referring to not rare in terms of actual existing copies not how hard it is to find copies today in the market. I’m both a fan of Streak and Toth and put together several sets of the issues I mentioned (30,34,36,38) over the years and these have always been popular with collectors. #30 is at least a slight “key” book and there have always been collectors wanting that issue more. I know a number of Rex the wonder dog collectors also add the Streak issues into their “dog” collections too. It’s a cute dog cover as well making it popular.

Good info though. I didn’t realize that some of those issues are now tough to find in the market...

52 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I was referring to not rare in terms of actual existing copies not how hard it is to find copies today in the market. I’m both a fan of Streak and Toth and put together several sets of the issues I mentioned (30,34,36,38) over the years and these have always been popular with collectors. #30 is at least a slight “key” book and there have always been collectors wanting that issue more. I know a number of Rex the wonder dog collectors also add the Streak issues into their “dog” collections too. It’s a cute dog cover as well making it popular.

Good info though. I didn’t realize that some of those issues are now tough to find in the market...

Yeah, I like the “critter books” too. I had to pick up Streak, Krypto, Bullet Dog, etc. some time ago. 

Yes, those books are all fairly challenging to find in decent shape. Has been that way for at least the last 5 years. I can’t speak with much certainty before that time period. 

2 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

I agree that GL #30-33 and #36-37 are tough in grade ( particularly #36 ).

Regarding All-American, I found #91-96 to be a real challenge but agree that #102 is relatively easy. The toughest of the entire run I believe is #7.

If we also include Comic Cavalcade, I would nominate #22 as the scarcest .

13 hours ago, N e r V said:

From the CGC census, it definitely confirms that all of these GL covers featuring Streak the Wonder Dog should not be termed Rare in the actual definition of the word, although it might indeed be rare in terms of being found in grade.  hm

I believe these later issues have a reputation for supposedly being more rare and in demand, and as such, would naturally encourage collectors to have more of these particular copies graded.  Especially in terms of the GL 30 which is by far the go to cover out of the entire GL run once you get past the first few issues of the title.  Highly doubt it has much do do with Streak being on the cover and probably more to do with the anatomically impossible but homely looking femme fatale in striking yellow that is standing next to Green Lantern.  :luhv:

Most likely a definite keeper for collectors once they manage to get their hands on a copy of this book as it hardly seems to show up in the marketplace.  Even the Heritage archives indicates only a handful of sales over all of the years, with none of them grading out higher than a CGC Fine 6.0.  I do definitely like the appearance of this copy here relative to its assigned CGC grade of only a VG+ 2.5:  :takeit:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Green Lantern #30 (DC, 1948) CGC GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-whitepages....

4 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:

Strongly disagree with you on #30. That’s a rare mainstream book. There are a couple beaters floating around, but good luck getting a VG+ or better copy. I bought mine in ~2014. It’s a 6.0, and it’s the best I’ve seen since (and the best I had seen at least 3 years before). The census only has four copies at or above grade.

+1

In full agreement with you in terms of GL 30 here and maybe one of the reasons why Overstreet continues to have this particular book designated as Rare in his price guide after all of these years.  Especially if you are comparing it to other mainstream DC super hero books.  (thumbsu

Glad to see that you've got the highest graded copy after all of these years of slabbing. :applause:  Makes me wonder if another higher graded copy will eventually show up in the marketplace.  Especially since the Church copy was only originally graded by Chuck as a Fine copy which probably means more like a VG+ copy in terms of today's apparently tighter grading.  Not sure if there are other pedigree copies out there, but there is not a Larson copy as the Larson List indicates no GL's at all.   hm (shrug)

33 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

From the CGC census, it definitely confirms that all of these GL covers featuring Streak the Wonder Dog should not be termed Rare in the actual definition of the word, although it might indeed be rare in terms of being found in grade.  hm

I believe these later issues have a reputation for supposedly being more rare and in demand, and as such, would naturally encourage collectors to have more of these particular copies graded.  Especially in terms of the GL 30 which is by far the go to cover out of the entire GL run once you get past the first few issues of the title.  Highly doubt it has much do do with Streak being on the cover and probably more to do with the anatomically impossible but homely looking femme fatale in striking yellow that is standing next to Green Lantern.  :luhv:

Most likely a definite keeper for collectors once they manage to get their hands on a copy of this book as it hardly seems to show up in the marketplace.  Even the Heritage archives indicates only a handful of sales over all of the years, with none of them grading out higher than a CGC Fine 6.0.  I do definitely like the appearance of this copy here relative to its assigned CGC grade of only a VG+ 2.5:  :takeit:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Green Lantern #30 (DC, 1948) CGC GD+ 2.5 Cream to off-whitepages....

Dog hater! :smirk:

Anyway isn’t the original GL gay? Don’t think he cared about any old femme fatale...

A dog on the other hand is man’s best friend...:smile:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

In full agreement with you in terms of GL 30 here and maybe one of the reasons why Overstreet continues to have this particular book designated as Rare in his price guide after all of these years.  Especially if you are comparing it to other mainstream DC super hero books.  (thumbsu

Glad to see that you've got the highest graded copy after all of these years of slabbing. :applause:  Makes me wonder if another higher graded copy will eventually show up in the marketplace.  Especially since the Church copy was only originally graded by Chuck as a Fine copy which probably means more like a VG+ copy in terms of today's apparently tighter grading.  Not sure if there are other pedigree copies out there, but there is not a Larson copy as the Larson List indicates no GL's at all.   hm (shrug)

Mine isn’t the highest graded, just the best I’ve seen for sale. There’s a 7.0 and a 9.6 in the census. I believe the Verzyl estate owns that latter one. I forget if it’s a ped copy or not. 

Tough run to assemble in any reasonable shape, that GL.

2 hours ago, BarristerBaker said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Mine isn’t the highest graded, just the best I’ve seen for sale. There’s a 7.0 and a 9.6 in the census. I believe the Verzyl estate owns that latter one. I forget if it’s a ped copy or not. 

Tough run to assemble in any reasonable shape, that GL.

Yes, you are indeed exactly right.  (thumbsu

In my rush to post, I really meant to say that your CGC 6.0 graded copy appears to be the highest graded copy made available in the public marketplace to date.  doh!