• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC--How about a census update?

31 posts in this topic

BTW, the CEO of HD who decided to do this was a former GE exec.

Yeah, Nardelli, bringing up the rear so far amongst the GE Annointed Three.

Oh, and welcome to the boards!

I'm just having a hard time understanding why an IT system, which is updated in real time, can't show census updates in real time--it means that they have separated systems, poorly integrated systems, or a means to control the market under certain conditions.

I mean--as a CGC Society member I can read the certification number immediately and read invoices immediately--yet the census remains an enigma. Weird. Maybe our resident census guru valiantman can offer some nuggets of wisdom here.

And while I'm on this train of thought--why can't the estimated turnaround times reflect actual real time data? There's no reason for a webmaster to manually update these. Unless of course, they want to hide the real deal from the public.

Am I noticing a pattern here confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm just having a hard time understanding why an IT system, which is updated in real time, can't show census updates in real time--it means that they have separated systems, poorly integrated systems, or a means to control the market under certain conditions.

I mean--as a CGC Society member I can read the certification number immediately and read invoices immediately--yet the census remains an enigma. Weird. Maybe our resident census guru valiantman can offer some nuggets of wisdom here.

And while I'm on this train of thought--why can't the estimated turnaround times reflect actual real time data? There's no reason for a webmaster to manually update these. Unless of course, they want to hide the real deal from the public.

Sterling, are we getting conspiracy theories ramped up again 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sterling, are we getting conspiracy theories ramped up again 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just passing time (kinda like passing gas) since there's no census update to keep me busy... 27_laughing.gif

Maybe our resident census guru valiantman can offer some nuggets of wisdom here.

It is my understanding that the census portion of the CGC website

relies on a manually-created aggregated extract of the live database.

(Not manually-created, as in, doing the match for each book,

but manually-created, as in, kicking off a program that creates this extract.)

I don't know enough about the system to say why the census can't get this extract automatically.

Maybe our resident census guru valiantman can offer some nuggets of wisdom here.

It is my understanding that the census portion of the CGC website

relies on a manually-created aggregated extract of the live database.

(Not manually-created, as in, doing the match for each book,

but manually-created, as in, kicking off a program that creates this extract.)

I don't know enough about the system to say why the census can't get this extract automatically.

you mean these guys haven't heard of schedulers like CRON? Gesh...

I can see it maybe being a problem if their web hosting is outsourced and doesn't have support, but my thought was that all of their IT systems were localized on site.

CGC boards. Questions about CGC census updates. CGC graders/employees quick to respond about some things, no response yet here.

Could someone from CGC PLEASE explain the process and timing for updating the census that thousands of people rely on, please?

The foot dragging on the census updates is the only only only aspect i have known CGC to be pompous. I mean you can call them 50x a day and bug the poohicles out of em' about the status of your comic order and they will always treat you nicely. But this census they have a totally different attitude about it.