• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2006

735 posts in this topic

Re: EVS

It's unfortunate that he can't make it, but it happens. He's got a busy year ahead of himself! Just saw his cover to S/B 27. Nice!

It's nice of you to take the high road with this and not easy to do but some guys have a history of their time being more important than others. He cancelled out on a Boston show. In his Cyberfrog days! 893whatthe.gif

Your show is going to be bigger than huge! Wish I could be there and I may still sneak up. Great City, great show. thumbsup2.gif

CPM Issues Apology to Canadian Fans for Premiere Mixup

(March 10, 2006 New York, NY)

Central Park Media, the leading anime and manga publisher in the United States, has issued a public apology to CPM's Canadian fans for causing confusion concerning the North American Premiere of CPM's upcoming Animation Runner Kuromi 2, directed by acclaimed director Akitaroh Daichi.

John O'Donnell, Managing Director, clarified the situation:

"Unfortunately, due to internal miscommunications at CPM, a commitment was made to two different organizations to screen Animation Runner Kuromi 2 as the North American Premiere. Obviously, only one can be the premiere. I would like to clarify that neither of the con organizers are responsible for this confusion - the problem is 100% CPM's fault.

To solve the problem, CPM has clarified that the screening of Animation Runner Kuromi 2 at this weekend's Toronto Animecon was actually meant to be the "Anime Convention Sneak Preview of the English dub version," and the April 28 to 30 Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon has always been meant to be the Official North American Premiere of the Original Japanese (with subtitles) version, the most authentic treatment of the program ."

Paradise TORONTO COMICON 2006 Programming Schedule

Panel programming will be running all day on Saturday and Sunday. On Friday we will have the Stan Lee Videoconference and show some independant films created by local filmmakers.

The Anime Programming schedule will be announced at a later date.

Friday, April 28th, 2006

5 PM

STAN LEE VIDEOCONFERENCE

6 PM

FRIDAY FILM FESTIVAL: REIGN OF THE FALLEN

(a Star Wars Fan Film)

7 PM

FRIDAY FILM FESTIVAL: HAMLET - A Comedy in Three Acts

Saturday, April 29th, 2006

Note: Two panel rooms will be operating on Saturday and Sunday. Panel names and participants are being finalized and a more complete list will be made available in the upcoming weeks.

Panels will run 5O Minutes.

NOON

Women of Comics SPOTLIGHT ON RAMONA FRADON

INDY COMICS

1 PM

Women of Comics: THE NEW MAINSTREAM

DEGRASSI GRAPHIC NOVEL LAUNCH PANEL

2 PM

Women of Comics - BRINGING THE COMICS PAGE TO LIFE: CARTOON STRIPS

DC COMICS CREATORS 2006

3 PM

Women of Comics - GETTING ‘VERTIGO’

THE MAN OF TOMORROW spotlight on Gerard Jones

4 PM

Women of Comics - RIDING IN ON A DARK HORSE

COVER TO COVER: Comic Book Cover Illustration

5 PM

SPOTLIGHT ON THE 2006 GUESTS OF HONOUR: George Perez and David Lloyd

MANGA: BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEEN EAST & WEST

PLUS: 7:30-9:30 PM

THE 2006 JOE SHUSTER CANADIAN COMIC BOOK CREATOR AWARDS

Sunday, April 30th

NOON

WRITER’S PANEL

WORKSHOP TBA

1 PM

EDITOR’S PANEL

WORKSHOP TBA

2 PM

HORROR & MONSTER COMICS

COMICS FOR KIDS

3 PM

SPOTLIGHT ON FRANK CHO & MICHAEL LARK

FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP w/ Sandy Plunkett.

4 PM

MR. COMICS SPOTLIGHT

WEBCOMICS Panel

THE JOE SHUSTER AWARDS ANNOUNCE THE 2006 HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES:

www.shusterawards.com

Jon St. Ables a.k.a. Jon Stables (1912-1999)

Born in Ulverston, England on December 23rd 1912, Jon Stables left school at 13 to follow his father and older brother to Winnipeg and become an artist. With the outbreak of World War II, he ventured west to Victoria and contributed to the war effort as a painter and sign writer for the shipbuilding industry. It was there he met his wife Esther and the pair were married in May, 1942. Shortly after, Stables was hired by Imperial News Ltd. to work for Maple Leaf Comics, one of the first golden age publishers of Canadian Comics.

Stables fit right in with Maple Leaf’s approach to comics and was by far its most accomplished artist, signing his work with the nom de plume, St. Ables. His facility with bigfoot-style cartooning in the prehistoric Piltdown Pete and equal ease with adventure strips like Brok Windsor and Bill Speed helped make Maple Leaf titles the slickest of all the Canadian Whites. Soon, Stables took over the art editing chores from Vern Miller and became the line’s top cover artist. In 1946, Maple Leaf made an effort to launch several syndicated comic strips based on their features Callaghan and Bill Speed but were unable to make significant inroads.

With two sons to support, Stables and Esther opened a studio and briefly produced a line of colouring books. In 1950, the family moved to California where Stables attempted to pitch ideas and artwork to Disney. Eventually Stables settled in Seattle, working in the art department at Boeing until retiring in 1975. Jon Stables passed away in 1999. He was 87.

Bio compiled by Robert Pincombe (with the aid of Peter Hansen)

Win Mortimer (1919-1998)

Born in Hamilton, Ontario, James Winslow Mortimer was trained from the age of two by his father in the poster department of a Canadian lithography firm. As a teenager, Win became a recurring contributor to the Toronto Star’s Pictures And Poetry feature. After high school, he studied art in New York, returning in 1939 to join the army when Canada entered World War II. Resuming civilian life in 1943, Mortimer designed posters for the Canadian Ministry of Information, then landed a job at DC in 1945. Soon he was chief cover artist for most of the Superman, Superboy and Batman titles, including World’s Finest. From 1949 to ’55, he drew the Superman newspaper strip, but left in 1956 when a syndicate purchased his David Crane strip. In 1960 Mortimer left Crane to return to the Toronto Star, producing the Larry Bannon strip from 1961 to ‘68.

In 1960 Mortimer was back at DC, penciling The Legion of Super Heroes, Supergirl and Plastic Man. From 1968 to ’83, he showed amazing versatility, contributing to a wide range of DC, Marvel and Gold Key titles, such as Scooter, Stanley And His Monster, Spider-Man, Boris Karloff’s Tales of Mystery, The Twilight Zone and Supernatural Thrillers. In 1983, Mortimer joined Neal Adams’ Continuity Associates to work on various advertising and commercial projects including editorial cartoons and a religion oriented comic.

Though not as flashy as many of his comic-book colleagues, Mortimer was an accomplished craftsman whose deceptively low key style prized characterization and storytelling over elaborate artistry. For this reason, Mortimer became one of DC Comics’ most extensively utilized cartoonists during the 1940s and ’50s. His extensive involvement in drawing Superman and Superboy also made him one of Joe Shuster’s natural successors, as well as a “bridge” between the Golden and Silver Ages.

Bio compiled by Henry Mietkiewicz.

Owen McCarron (1929-2005)

You might think you know who Canada’s most successful independent comic book publisher is but if you guessed anyone who draws aardvarks you’d be wrong! Born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Owen McCarron wrote, drew, coloured and self-published dozens upon dozens of full-colour Canadian giveaway comics through his own companies, McCarron Advertising and Comic Book World. McCarron was driven by a love of history and a believe that comics could be to entertain and educate.

McCarron worked for Charlton and DC and Marvel, including the original Ghost Rider and Spidey Super Stories. His reputation for speed and reliability made him one of Stan Lee’s go-to men for emergency work. Owen McCarron’s Fun and Games comics were published weekly by the Halifax Chronicle Herald and the Mail Star.. McCarron pitched the same concept to Stan Lee, who quickly approved the long-running strip Marvel Fun And Games and gave puzzlemaster McCarron free reign.

Through the 60’s and early 70’s Comic Book World was Canada’s only ongoing comic publisher. The prolific McCarron worked out of his home and, with an occasional assist from Robin Edmiston, produced a vast array of titles like Wayne and Shuster Comics, Col. Sanders Comics, Reveen, Louie the Lightning Bug, The Adventures Of Binkly And Doinkel and Li’l Easy Saver.

Among his numerous honours was a Nova Scotia Environment Award for advancing green concerns through his Sammy Seagull and Captain Enviro characters and signed letters from Presidents Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, thanking him for a lifetime of comics! Over his 32 years with the Herald, McCarron many historical docu-comics for the Halifax-Herald newspapers, including a yearly page examining aspects of the Halifax Explosion of 1917. In fact, mere days before he passed away, he was spotted at his local library , working on his next project. Owen McCarron passed away on June 27, 2005.

Some of Owen’s Halifax Explosions comics can be found at:

http://www.cbc.ca/halifaxexplosion/he2_ruins/interactives/docucomic.html

Bio compiled by Robert Pincombe (with the aid of Phil Latter)

Dave Sim (1956- )

Dave Sim was born in Hamilton, Ontario in 1956 and grew up in Kitchener, where he still lives. During the early 1970s, Sim emerged as one of the most influential figures in early Canadian fandom, editing Now and Then Times and contributing to Comic Art News and Reviews, The Comics Report, Dark Fantasy, and other fanzines. Initially, Sim made his mark as a writer, but eventually, with encouragement from Gene Day, he became one of the best Canadian semi-pro artists of the mid-1970s.

In 1977 Sim began publishing Cerebus the Aardvark, the comic book that would change his life and transform modern comics. Although it began as a clever sword-and-sorcery parody, Cerebus later evolved (with assistance from Sim's collaborator, Gerhard), over nearly three decades, into a sophisticated work of art, an ambitious and complex 300-issue graphic novel exploring not only the comics medium, but also other facets of popular culture and society at large, not to mention Sim's personal life. The longest-running comic in Canadian history, it is truly unique and stands as one of the country's greatest achievements in comic art, one that has deservedly received international acclaim, including the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster awards.

Cerebus also eventually became a source of much debate within the comics community, as readers responded to Sim's provocative narratives and editorial commentaries. While Sim's contrarian opinions are certainly open to debate, his longtime role as an innovator, mentor, and advocate for artists' rights are not. No other creator has made a greater contribution to the development of Canadian comics.

Bio compiled by John Bell.

The Hall of Fame Inductees will be presented on April 29th, 2006 at the Joe Shuster Awards Ceremony at the Paradise Toronto Comicon 2006.

Just added to the Paradise TORONTO COMICON 2006:

Xeric award-winning author DANIEL WAY!

Writer of PUNISHER VS. BULLSEYE and the upcoming: WOLVERINE: ORIGINS & GHOST RIDER ongoing series for Marvel Comics!

Pictured below is the cover to Wolverine Origins #1 by Joe Quesada!

WOLORIG001_COV_col.jpg

Daniel Way's past comic book writing work for Marvel Comics include the following:

BULLSEYE'S GREATEST HITS

SABRETOOTH OPEN SEASON

VENOM series

SPIDER-MAN'S TANGLED WEB 16-17

WOLVERINE 187-189

Hey Kevin,

I was just glancing at the schedule and I didn't see the comic book charity auction (did I miss it somewhere?) I really enjoyed that the last time I attended. Are you still having that and what day and time would it be scheduled? Thanks - really looking forward to the show....

Drew

Actually we're still working that one out. We are having an auction to benefit ACTOR and the North York Harvest Food Bank. In years 1 and 2 we had it on the Saturday evening, but last year we had it on the Sunday to give some guests some additional time to complete a sketch for the auction. I'm thinking it will probably run on Sunday. I'll make an announcement as soon as it is decided.

Also, there will be a sketch duel at some point. Probably on Saturday. Pieces from the sketch duel will also be auctioned off to benefit the CBLDF.

Just added to the Paradise TORONTO COMICON 2006:

Xeric award-winning author DANIEL WAY!

Writer of PUNISHER VS. BULLSEYE and the upcoming: WOLVERINE: ORIGINS & GHOST RIDER ongoing series for Marvel Comics!

Pictured below is the cover to Wolverine Origins #1 by Joe Quesada!

WOLORIG001_COV_col.jpg

Daniel Way's current run on Wolverine is great. Can't wait until Wolverine: Origins comes out.

Actually we're still working that one out. We are having an auction to benefit ACTOR and the North York Harvest Food Bank. In years 1 and 2 we had it on the Saturday evening, but last year we had it on the Sunday to give some guests some additional time to complete a sketch for the auction. I'm thinking it will probably run on Sunday. I'll make an announcement as soon as it is decided.

Also, there will be a sketch duel at some point. Probably on Saturday. Pieces from the sketch duel will also be auctioned off to benefit the CBLDF.

news.gifBe on the look out for a Major And I mean Major Announcement from Paradise Comics Early Next Week

I promise you will not be disappointed. thumbsup2.gif

news.gifBe on the look out for a Major And I mean Major Announcement from Paradise Comics Early Next Week

Is it about the con, or about the store?

yay.gifThis news is all about the store yay.gif

Youve been fired? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And they hiring me? insane.gif

I wish I could get fired I think i'm in eternal servitude here frustrated.gif

I wish I could get fired I think i'm in eternal servitude here frustrated.gif

Just Sell me all the Original Art on the walls for $1 each and I guarantee you will be fired insane.gif