• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2006

735 posts in this topic

Contact the volunteer coordinator through the website.

I'd love to give out free admission to everyone but these shows do cost a lot of money to put on.

We don't think $27 is bad value at all. Considering it gives you access to everything for the full 21 hours the show will be open to the public that's a little over $1.25 an hour.

A movie will cost you at least $10 for 2 hours of entertainment. A concert will cost you upwards of $50 for three hours of entertainment. A Leafs hockey ticket will cost you a small fortune for 60 minutes of hockey. And those are all passive activities.

At Comicon you get access to dozens of professionals (who are around the majority of the weekend, not just a couple of hours a day), dealers, great programming & workshops...

Flash.jpg

Ken Lashley and Draxhall Jump return to the comic book scene this spring. Bigger, badder and faster than ever.

How fast?

"Flash" fast.

DC Comics and Ken Lashley as well as the Draxhall crew have teamed up to bring you the most electrifying, full-throttle comics being made today. From the ground breaking series '52' to 'Legion of Super-Heroes' and now, 'Flash'. Draxhall has their hands in a lot of things at DC.

Ken Lashley has not been on the comic book scene in a while, and his return will be legendary.

"I've been doing a lot of things outside of comic books for the last few years. Lucasfilm, Fox Sports, Hasbro, MLB, to name a few. But my first love was always comics. Drawing 'The Flash' relaunch is a dream come true. I haven't worked on a comic book this good since 'The Age of Apocalypse', and the only place in Canada to see me and the Draxhall crew will be at the Paradise Comics Toronto Comic Con. We support the guys that are true comic book fans."

In attendance at the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon from Draxhall will be:

Marvin Mariano - Pigmentologist Extraordinaire

Greg Parkin - Digital Embelisher

Fedel Preudhomme - Illustration Engineer

Steve Bynoe - Illustrative Designer

Ken Lashley - Penciller - Sequential Purist

Come see G.I. Joe package art, Star Wars Unleashed package art, Flash development art, Licensed Lucasfilm artwork, plus much more.

Got any need for strong, willing, young 18-year old volunteers?

Cause uh.. what do you think i am? Made of $27? I'd rather spend that money on the comics!

Go as a volunteer. It's more fun as you can meet the creators easier.

I did a bit of comparison "shopping" though:

WonderCon $35 US - 3 Day pass

San Diego $50 US - 4 day (goes up to $65 if you buy at the door)

MegaCon - $45.80 US - 3 day

New York Comicon - $35 - 3 day

Wizard World LA - $45 - 3 day

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon - $27 CDN ($34 CDN at the door) - 3 day pass

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Aww... so no free tickets?

I'm looking forward to that Flash run. As long as they keep that costume, and not make it like the one in the latest Wizard, I'll be happy. Not too keen on the writers, but I was pretty excited to see Ken Lashley on the relaunch of the Flash. Too bad though, that book won't be released before the con.

$27 CDN is really cheap, especially for that stellar guest list.

I think that design Wizard used was from a wizard magazine from a few years back where they asked Ken to draw his own versions of the DC mainstays.

The Flash pictured in the promo art featured above is pretty much the look that the character will be sporting in the relaunch, so the real question is "who is the man in the suit?"

We received just a day or so ago that unfortunately PHIL JIMENEZ will be unable to attend the Paradise Comicon is year because he's also committed to appear at a convention abroad.

Here is Phil's e-mail that we received on Wednesday:

"Peter,

I have CRAPPOLA news. I can't make it to your show this year -- I just realized I double booked that weekend and this year I cannot make it. My schedule is just to, to packed.

I'm SO sorry. You know how much I love Toronto and you guys and how much I appreciate all your time and devotion to me and my work. I truly hope I can make it up to you.

I'm SO sorry,

phil"

Obviously there are no hard feelings and we wish him all the best for his trip abroad.

----

On the heels of that announcement came this e-mail from Joe Linsner's associate:

"Hello, folks at Paradise;

Ugh, I am so sorry. But I have to cancel Joe's appearance at your comic convention.

Joe had agreed to attend a comic convention in Greece, over half a year ago, that he thought was the previous weekend. Turns out it's the same weekend.

Gah, i feel horrible about this... Could you please le tme know when your next convention is, & if you're still willing to have us, I can arrange that?

Thanks very much for your time,

Linsner.com"

Watch for announcements soon... we have some BIG replacements in the works!

son of a... oh well... Linsner for me was a "whatever" type thing, but I was really looking forward to seeing Phil Jimenez again this year.

curious about the BIG replacements, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Two new guest additions as of February 6, 2006:

DAVE JOHNSON

cover artist: 100 Bullets (past works include covers for Captain America, Batman, Detective Comics, Bloodhound and more)

art director: Ben 10 (Cartoon Network, debuts spring 2006)

background/prop/character artist: Batman Beyond, Justice League (Warner Bros. Animation)

www.devilpig.com

100bcv13.jpg

MIKE MAYHEW

cover artist: The Pulse, Mystique, Elektra, She-Hulk (Marvel Comics)

illustrations: Mary Jane and Mary Jane 2 novels (Marvel prose)

interiors: Zorro (Topps), Vampirella (Harris) Avengers Finale, She-Hulk 100, "House of M" (Marvel)

Currently working on licensing art for Superman Returns, a new Marvel project, an Upper Deck JLA trading card series and more.

www.mikemayhewstudio.com

091_06.jpg