• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Local Comic Shops (+)
1 1

12 posts in this topic

As an Owner, Employee, or Customer, is it frowned upon to read comics at a shop (that you may not buy)? I've recently been visiting an LCS about a mile from my home. Over the past couple of years, I've dropped in a few times to catch the vibe, another couple of times to see the extent of their inventory, and I've bought some comics the last few times. I just bought a couple of Superman issues I knew I'd be interested in (the rebooted Superman [Vol. 4?] #1 and Action Comics 9xx post-New 52). As a newer customer, I don't want to seem rude or anything. The comic shop I used to visit when I was a teenager didn't have comics open for reading. You bought whatever you opened (I don't recall seeing them having new issues). This place that I've been dropping into recently has tons of monthly/bi-weeklies/weekly new comics, though.

Sorry for the really long explanation!

I was gonna post another topic for this, but if you can give me 2 answers that would be even better! How can I expand my comic book knowledge and be a better contributor to the site? I'm probably a genius when it comes to the cinematic universes, but my book knowledge is fairly lacking in comparison. So many of you know iconic covers, first appearances, can names issues from a partial cover or a single panel. Where do I even start, and how do I continue to develop my knowledge base?

For your first question, spend $. When I was a heavy reader in the mid 90's I had a pull at a shop where I probably dropped an average of $150 a month. This equated to a 70+ book a month pull. Not insane, but a decent amount. I would also go through and "read" through a pile of other stuff while I was at the shop. Mostly I'd flip through a bunch that I was curious about. Sometimes I'd read the first 4-5 pages and decide I wanted to read it on the couch with my other books so it would go in my pile. Sometimes I'd get bored by the book, so it would go back on the shelf. As long as you're not just at a shop to read a bunch of new stuff for free, you shouldn't have any problems with a store owner, unless he's a total tool. 

2nd question: You can learn all kinds of stuff from the internet. This chat board, as well as many others has tons of information. However, the most learning you'll ever do is when you read the comics themselves. You'll retain way more information if you're passionate about what you're reading. Being a "genius" in regards to the MCU isn't an impressive feat. I'd say there are probably hundreds (thousands?) of posters on this site alone that could boast that same thing if it were even slightly impressive. Read comics. Read the Overstreet (even if it is hopelessly outdated on most pricing and has been for as long as I can remember) It still provides some interesting information in regards to the market through the market reports. Find stuff you like in regards to comics, and you'll enjoy learning more about them as far as first apps etc go. This board is a wealth of information. Go back and read the super long threads. Most of them are long for a reason, as they are insightful and entertaining. 

For your first question, it's hard to say. As a customer, I couldn't care less if someone is reading comics without buying them. From a store owners standpoint, it's still hard to say. Some care and some don't. Of the 2 main comic stores in my city, one definitely doesn't want people reading comics without buying them. Flip through them to check out the art, no problem, but read the story and put it back on the rack, nope. The other one doesn't seem to care, at least I've never heard them chastise anyone for it. I still remember as a kid, walking past a Rexall drug store on my way to my Jaycees air rifle class. I'd sometimes stop in on my way home, but my friends and I found out, the hard way, that the fastest way to get yelled at or kicked out was to get caught reading the comic books or trying to look at the dirty magazines. As far as the druggist was concerned, one was just as bad as the other. As to your second question, the short answer is to read and study the subject matter. There is no shortage of books, magazines or websites to get all kinds of information on the hobby. My suggestion is to decide what portions of the hobby interest you the most, then read all you can on the subject. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that while a lot of members of this board appear to have alot of knowledge about the subject, in most cases this knowledge is the result of keen interest and ongoing study of different aspects of the hobby, and in many cases, these members have been compiling their knowledge for the better part of their lives. I'm 48 years old and I've been collecting comic books and reading about their history since I was 8 years old. Even after 40 years of study and collecting, I consider myself knowlegeable about comics, but by no means an expert. Just enjoy the hobby and you will gain knowledge of it as a byproduct.

8 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

... to keep in mind, though, is that while a lot of members of this board appear to have alot of knowledge about the subject, in most cases this knowledge is the result of keen interest and ongoing study of different aspects of the hobby, and in many cases, these members have been compiling their knowledge for the better part of their lives. I'm 48 years old and I've been collecting comic books and reading about their history since I was 8 years old. Even after 40 years of study and collecting, I consider myself knowlegeable about comics, but by no means an expert

I’ve been collecting just as long, and have seen writing and art styles change so much, and it’s understandable that to keep on top of this you need to investigate books that aren’t on your immediate reading or pull list, especially from newer, unfamiliar creators. I’ve never gone beyond having a skim through to see if there’s anything that looks interesting, never reading the entire issue in depth, partly because I assume that the story will be drawn-out, sorry, decompressed, and I’m missing maybe five or more issues anyway.

If an LCS employee or owner called me out for exploring the possibility of some additional purchases in this manner, then it’s easy enough to go away and read reviews, defer a purchase until later in the year, and then buy the trade collection online or elsewhere, or in digital format. 

When I started collecting in the 70s, as far as broadening your knowledge goes, living in the northern UK was something of a vacuum; very difficult to get any heads up on an interesting new title or creator, or anything I’d missed from earlier Ages, and very different to the accelerated pace of online learning about the history of the medium, and the ease of both researching and obtaining quality, new reading material, which is now so easily achievable, away from the confines of an LCS.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Thanks for the feedback!

It's just hard to figure out where to start. Like I said, I picked up Action Comics #957 and Superman Vol. 4 #1, since they're both the first issues of the current Superman stories. I was looking for Detective Comics #934, since that appears to be the first of the DCU Rebirth. I couldn't find Batman Vol. 3 #1, or Man of Steel Vol. 2 #1, either. It is crazy to me that there seem to be 9-10 different ongoing stories involving primarily Batman or Superman.

I have a decent amount of hardcover Marvel collected stories, so I'm trying to focus on DC stuff. I don't even wanna get started with other publishers right now lol. I'm thinking about just going back and picking up the New 52 series since they're all finished (I have the Justice League run already).

I'll probably try to get into X-Men, too, since that was my favorite as a kid.

10 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Thanks for the feedback!

It's just hard to figure out where to start. Like I said, I picked up Action Comics #957 and Superman Vol. 4 #1, since they're both the first issues of the current Superman stories. I was looking for Detective Comics #934, since that appears to be the first of the DCU Rebirth. I couldn't find Batman Vol. 3 #1, or Man of Steel Vol. 2 #1, either. It is crazy to me that there seem to be 9-10 different ongoing stories involving primarily Batman or Superman.

I cannot help with the issues you are looking for but I just wanted to say...

I feel for you, it was this kind of craziness back in the 90's with the Onslaught storyline then the Rebirth of the Characters/Titles that made me stop buying/reading new issues each month, you needed to buy 10 different titles just to keep up!!! :pullhair:

Hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy what you buy!!!  (thumbsu

From a customer perspective, I might occasionally flip through new books i'm unfamiliar with just to see if it captures my attention.  I have never, nor would i ever advocate reading an entire issue in a shop.  It's a comic book STORE...not a library.

Also, i would never open a back issue book without the consent of the store employee.  Especially considering the books are typically taped and if the tape catches and damages the book, that's on you.

On 9/11/2018 at 2:06 PM, Real Elijah Snow said:

I would also go through and "read" through a pile of other stuff while I was at the shop. Mostly I'd flip through a bunch that I was curious about. Sometimes I'd read the first 4-5 pages and decide I wanted to read it on the couch with my other books so it would go in my pile. Sometimes I'd get bored by the book, so it would go back on the shelf. As long as you're not just at a shop to read a bunch of new stuff for free, you shouldn't have any problems with a store owner, unless he's a total tool.

Agree.  Don't read a whole book, you're picking it up to browse it.  After reading 4 or 5 pages, you should know if you care to continue.  If yes, buy, if no, shelve it.  Buy something though, so you're not just showing up, picking up and putting down a bunch of stuff and then leaving.

To the second question, don't worry about it.  You'll pick things up if you read threads.  Someone will mention something, and then you'll be curious and go google it.  Or someone will mention something obliquely and you'll ask.  Reading threads and participating in them will get you a wealth of info.  If you learn something here, pass it on to the next guy who asks so it's not the same people having to repeat it. 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:34 PM, TwoPiece said:

Where do I even start, and how do I continue to develop my knowledge base?

My motto is:  Read what you buy.   Even if it is a $500 back issue, carefully read it.  Eventually the lore, history, plots and artists start to seep into your brain.   Also Trades are a good way to find collected works that may be harder (or more expensive to find).    Don't let the Plastic Encapsulation Police tell you what to do with your CGC books and for the love of god, don't get caught up in this variant crapola

Edited by Mercury Man

11 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

My motto is:  Read what you buy.   Even if it is a $500 back issue, carefully read it.  Eventually the lore, history, plots and artists start to seep into your brain.   Also Trades are a good way to find collected works that may be harder (or more expensive to find).    Don't let the Plastic Encapsulation Police tell you what to do with your CGC books and for the love of god, don't get caught up in this variant crapola

Haha, thanks.

I've already said it a few times that the only variants I like are the DC directs of Action Comics #1000. Otherwise I really hate them.

As a customer, I don't like it when people read comics in the shop because I don't want to buy a "used" comic. I want to buy a NM comic, not something with spine stress because 8 people read it because they were too cheap to pay for it. Comics are only a couple dozen pages. Open it and take a look at the art to see if you like it, then put it back if you don't like it.