• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is your Overstreet Grading Guide falling apart?

30 posts in this topic

Do you wish your Guide would lie flat?

Here is the solution. $5 or less at your local Kinko's or other printing/bindery shop for the spiral binding.

If they are careful only to cut 1/16th of an inch off the spine edge before punching the holes,

the binding won't interfere with pictures or text at all, not even in the glossary where the text comes very close to the spine.

Just show them the glossary first and ask them to try to keep the holes away from the text if possible.

ogg5.jpg

oh I forgot...I haven't bought this one this year.

Oh yeah. The prices don't reflect reality. Can't use OSPG...

GPA on the other hand... cloud9.gif

Who said anything about the Overstreet PRICE guide?

The scan above is of the GRADING guide. makepoint.gif

Hmm... smile.gif

Maybe you guys should have a binder on it when the next edition comes out. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks more.

Yup. And it would be nice if the next guide had magazine sized pages that allowed bigger scans and better detail of the defects. [hint hint]

grin.gif

I hear ya. We'll see what we can do.

I agree with the above comments and would like to add one thing. A feature that I really liked about the 1992 guide that was not a feature of the 2002 guide were the "zoomed in" pictures showing fine details of defects on a book. Although the pictures were black and white, they did a good job (given their B&W limitation) of highlighting defects that were not as visible in the less-zoomed picture of the entire book. With printing clarity having improved since then and with the use of higher-definition color photos, the next version of the guide could have the best of both worlds and would be a much improved resource.

I have two copies, a nice Gemstone edition that I barely touch, and the Random House edition that I completely thrash.

Arnold, suggestions for future editions: more textual content on +/- grades, split grades, and eye appeal. I'd also like to see more visual examples coming from the Silver, Bronze, and Modern Ages, being that GA books are on a different curve. Also, a treatment on how to grade books that are otherwise NM or VF (etc...) if not for a single flaw. The 'defects' sections of the first edition kind of touched on it, but the 2nd edition has no mention.

FFB: I agree, the defect pics were a great part of the '92 book and should definitely come back into it.

House: There are a lot of misconceptions about media mail, and at the time of printing the book it was even murkier, so it's not surprising that may be a bit off the mark.

House: There are a lot of misconceptions about media mail, and at the time of printing the book it was even murkier, so it's not surprising that may be a bit off the mark.

Oh, I'm not really complaining. It's still murky!

I've even had postal clerks deny me bound printed matter on comics. When you've got an in-between item like a comic book (more like a magazine than a book) it's not surprising that not all clerks are on the same page.

It probably is an area to revisit in the next edition.

Best,

Marc