• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC label changes through the years - a visual guide
3 3

75 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, valiantman said:

I added a note to the page: 

• Books which have been reholdered may keep the original grading date but receive a current label at the time of reholdering.

http://www.cgcdata.com/labels

lol I could have sworn it was June, maybe that was the date of the 1st "fix" to them? idk :tonofbricks: 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I could have sworn it was June, maybe that was the date of the 1st "fix" to them? idk :tonofbricks: 

A reholder after April 2016 (such as June 2016) would get the current label even if the book was graded in 2001. 

The CGC serial number lookup would/should say graded in 2001, but the label would be current.

I think a few of the Edgar Church books have recent Pedigree labels and grading dates from 20 years ago.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, valiantman said:

A reholder after April 2016 (such as June 2016) would get the current label even if the book was graded in 2001. 

The CGC serial number lookup would/should say graded in 2001, but the label would be current.

I think a few of the Edgar Church books have recent Pedigree labels and grading dates from 20 years ago.

I think I confused you. I thought the first of this label was in June, if you say April I believe you.

What I was saying was.... There were problems with the current label cases, because the current label came with new style cases. I had emails back and forth in June of 2016, because of the new cases and label being fixed with inner wells etc. I was just trying to clarify my train of thought from mentioning June in the 1st place.

No Worries

On 5/11/2022 at 12:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think I confused you. I thought the first of this label was in June, if you say April I believe you.

What I was saying was.... There were problems with the current label cases, because the current label came with new style cases. I had emails back and forth in June of 2016, because of the new cases and label being fixed with inner wells etc. I was just trying to clarify my train of thought from mentioning June in the 1st place.

No Worries

Got it - CGC made an announcement in June 2016 that they had made changes in April 2016, so there is some "documentation" that supports the memory of June as well.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/5383/

Hello all I was wondering about older slabs/ labels.  I was wondering--does anyone have pictures of the 2003-2006 labels.

I have one that seems to have been tampered with.  It has cracks and also the label on top is peeling off.  

Also does the label with the CGC grade # have a perforated look to it. Like the edges are torn from a perforated paper?

On 3/2/2023 at 12:49 PM, xriddx said:

Hello all I was wondering about older slabs/ labels.  I was wondering--does anyone have pictures of the 2003-2006 labels.

I have one that seems to have been tampered with.  It has cracks and also the label on top is peeling off.  

Also does the label with the CGC grade # have a perforated look to it. Like the edges are torn from a perforated paper?

The top label peeling off is actually pretty common.

-bc

On 3/2/2023 at 12:49 PM, xriddx said:

As mentioned, yes the top label peeling off is very common.  It's one of the reasons they changed the design to make the top label inside the case.

I think the edges do appear a little fuzzy from perforations, but the pics I have on-hand aren't clear enough to be sure.  I'll check when I get home and post if that's not the case.  If you can post some pics of your suspicious label the board detectives are pretty good at identifying discrepancies.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:41 PM, thewritestuff said:

Does anyone know when CGC added a little barcode to the back of their slab labels?

The QR code (if that's what you mean by barcode) was added on the back in mid-2022.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10362/qr-code-comics/

Been reading here a long time but my first post (Collecting since 1975).  I picked up this blank label, encapsulated book.  Never seen a blank CGC label before, doesn't look cracked open and has the hologram that looks real.  Any ideas? 

1.jpg

On 4/30/2023 at 9:25 PM, Mail6565 said:

Been reading here a long time but my first post (Collecting since 1975).  I picked up this blank label, encapsulated book.  Never seen a blank CGC label before, doesn't look cracked open and has the hologram that looks real.  Any ideas? 

1.jpg

@valiantman

On 4/30/2023 at 9:25 PM, Mail6565 said:

1.jpg

It's probably a legit "sample" from the days when CGC was showing off how the product would look. Some samples have text on the label (including the word "SAMPLE"), but I'm not surprised if there were some without any text, since the holder itself was new at the time and some people were probably just interested in seeing how the holder would look. In the early days (1999-2001), this book would have had a red label (instead of blue), but if CGC was showing the holder and "general idea" then a blue label makes sense.

Edited by valiantman