• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book storage questions. Can you help me? Thanks!
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello.

First of all, thank you in advance for any and all advice. So far, everyone has been very helpful and respectful with my "newbie" questions since I joined a few weeks ago. This is a great chat board and I have already learned a lot!

Also, I did not see a forum on comic book storage but I'm sure there is one out there. If anyone is able to redirect this to that forum, please do so (or send me a link). Thank you!

The reason for today's post-

I was a long-time comic book fan and collector (stopped collecting in the 90's, but kept my collection). 

I'm in the process of sorting my collection - trying to figure out the ones that are CGC worthy, and setting them aside for further scrutiny.

My collection is in Mylites or Mylars with nice backer boards.

As I'm sorting, I'm coming across several comics that are collectible, but not valuable enough to have slabbed.  

I'm placing these comics in a mylite that is close to it's size and then I place the mylited comic in a larger, non-mylite silver/golden comic bag with a silver/golden board (as pictured). In other words-

1-comic is placed in mylite cover without board 

2-board is placed in larger cover

3- mylited comic is placed inside larger cover with board behind it and outside of mylite.

The comics like the one in the picture may stay in storage like this for up to a year (I'm taking care of CGC candidates first).

Understandably, I'll be asked "Why are you doing this?", so I'll go ahead and answer in advance- The reason I'm bagging and boarding this way is that I plan on selling these comics individually at a local flea/antique market or possibly a small local comic book show, and I figured bagging the comic like this would reduce some of the handling on the comic. In other words, a buyer could get a look at the front and back cover without actually touching the comic. If the buyer likes what they see, we move on to the next step and check out the interior of the comic.

Also, I hope it's safe to assume that the Mylite will protect the comic from the cheaper, outer comic bag (it says it's archival, but it's not a Mylite).

My concerns-

1) Will storing like this cause any condition issues?

2) If it's safe to store this way, how should I store them? Flat?  Upright?  Extra boards between? (feel free to post pictures or send links).

3) Is there a cheaper way to do this? I'm not doing this to all my non-CGC comics, just ones at a certain price point. The rest I'm leaving in the Mylite w/backer.

4) And again, if it's okay to store this way, is it ok for all comics- "Giant Size", "Annual", "100 Page Giant", magazines, etc.?

FYI- I stopped my sorting and bagging. I bagged about 40 comics like this and then had second thoughts!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

20180921_171204.jpg

20180921_171148.jpg

20180921_171102.jpg

I understand what you are trying to accomplish with this method and it works for me ! You should store them upright. Since they all have boards you do not need any extra boards between them. Do pad them out in the box so they don't slide and have something at the front and back of the box by the handles.

17 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I understand what you are trying to accomplish with this method and it works for me ! You should store them upright. Since they all have boards you do not need any extra boards between them. Do pad them out in the box so they don't slide and have something at the front and back of the box by the handles.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your method, but I prefer sturdier products such as 4 mil mylar sleeves with thick archival backing boards. They're more expensive but worth every penny, IMO. And they help the books look their best when displaying them.

In any event, good luck, Captain...:foryou:

Edited by The Lions Den

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your method, but I prefer sturdier products such as 4 mil mylar sleeves with thick archival backing boards. They're more expensive but worth every penny, IMO. And they help the books look their best when displaying them.

In any event, good luck, Captain...:foryou:

I like the 4 mil also but I like to keep as much air as possible away from the book. SO I will use a mylite with backing board for the comic and then put the combo into a 4 mil sleeve. It's strange, but I've never been a fan of a fullback backing board, preferring the halfpack. I like the comic to have a lot of room to 'swim'.

This is actually a great method. Being able to remove the book from 1 mylar to see the back cover without exposing it to the elements.

I store my non-slabbed comic books flat and in boxes, alternating right-side-up to upside-down, so that staple-side is never repeating. As far as I understand that is the best method.

When selling, obviously you want them standing in-box, so that way they can be flipped through.

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

This is actually a great method. Being able to remove the book from 1 mylar to see the back cover without exposing it to the elements.

I store my non-slabbed comic books flat and in boxes, alternating right-side-up to upside-down, so that staple-side is never repeating. As far as I understand that is the best method.

When selling, obviously you want them standing in-box, so that way they can be flipped through.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:52 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I like the 4 mil also but I like to keep as much air as possible away from the book. SO I will use a mylite with backing board for the comic and then put the combo into a 4 mil sleeve. It's strange, but I've never been a fan of a fullback backing board, preferring the halfpack. I like the comic to have a lot of room to 'swim'.

Thanks for your replies! 

How do you store slabbed comics?

13 hours ago, captain_em said:

Thanks for your replies! 

I have very few right now. I display most of them upright. The couple that I don't, I have stored flat on their backs, because recently people have made me aware that over time gravity might have some effect pulling pages away from staples.

18 hours ago, captain_em said:

Thanks for your replies! 

I have some of my slabs in a safe deposit box at my bank. (I believe there is thread on safe deposit box storage) but so far my books look ok.  The rest are at home with me. I do cringe when a really bad storm happens.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

I have some of my slabs in a safe deposit box at my bank. (I believe there is thread on safe deposit box storage) but so far my books look ok.  The rest are at home with me. I do cringe when a really bad storm happens.

I hear ya! Tornado season kicks in around here in the springtime and lasts through summer! (It's September, but I knocked on wood just in case!)