• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should this really be happening?

23 posts in this topic

I'm not complaining mind you but...I'm feeling sort of guilty maybe? Here's the deal. I've been saving a FF #48 to put on Ebay for a while that has a color touched spine. I saved it for right before the FF film thinking that maybe I'd get maybe 50.00 back or something. I've had this book for ages. So I put it up on Ebay and totally disclose this. And now these guys are going crazy (at least in my opinion) on the book:

FF #48

Should this thing be going that high? Should I feel guilty? Am I a bad man? Should I just be happy?

You should be thrilled. You disclosed everything in the description so if these guys want to keep bumping the price higher, so be it. You've done nothing but let the market decide. And the market's currently in your favor... thumbsup2.gif

Jim

I think you should just be happy.

You very clearly disclosed the restoration, in much more detail than a lot of other people do, so noone can say you were hiding the restoration.

If, as such, people decide to bid, let them bid, and just enjoy the ride!

You should be happy - I'm guessing alot of buyers don't think $150 is too much to pay for an apparent HG copy that they know has minor restoration - certainly safer than paying 2-3 times as much for one that might have it. Now that the guide has dropped the value of this book in low-mid grade by about a third - does it still routinely sell for 50% of guide in the lower grades?

You should be happy - I'm guessing alot of buyers don't think $150 is too much to pay for an apparent HG copy that they know has minor restoration - certainly safer than paying 2-3 times as much for one that might have it. Now that the guide has dropped the value of this book in low-mid grade by about a third - does it still routinely sell for 50% of guide in the lower grades?

In common with most books, it does sell for way under guide on ebay, it's just that FF #48 is so much more than the surrounding issues in Overstreet, so it still does okay. It's hurt by being practically the most common SA Marvel there is!

And there's nothing to feel guilty about - the restoration is fully disclosed, so yay...just watch the madness unfold smile.gif Actually, $150 doesn't seem an insane amount, still well below what an unrestored HG copy would fetch. If it quadruples in the last 24 hours, then you can start to feel guilty tongue.gif

The WBN 32 is doing nicely (96 bucks as I write this)...If it goes any higher I may sell my VF+ copy wink.gif

You really only thought you were going to get $50? I would have paid that in a heartbeat and considered it the best deal of the year. Great looking book, just be happy! thumbsup2.gif

By the way, nice MS 2 you have....again! I have been outbid, but I am not giving up just yet.

The WBN 32 is doing nicely (96 bucks as I write this)...If it goes any higher I may sell my VF+ copy wink.gif

That price is just plain stupid, and I can remember getting raked over the coals for selling a CGC 8.5 copy for $100.

I think I need to start selling books again... foreheadslap.gif

Nice book. Minor color touch isn't the worst thing to a lot of collectors as long as they know it before purchase. You have done everything right. Hope it goes higher for ya.

There's nothing stupid about that price. It seems like it will probably end up being fair for the seller and buyer. I've had this auction on my watch list for several days now. I would bid if San Diego weren't two weeks away.

My 1st thought was don't worry as the bidders could easily be future non-disclosed sellers...but looking at the feedback - one guy appears to be in France and the other one has never sold a book on ebay. Looks like two collectors who just want to have the book. So go on and have a 2nd helping of whatever your favorite meal is, guilt free!!!

That price is just plain stupid, and I can remember getting raked over the coals for selling a CGC 8.5 copy for $100.

I think I need to start selling books again... foreheadslap.gif

I hear ya! One year ago I sold a slabbed 8.5 for 115.00. This book has gotten silly in the last year. BTW I saw a VF raw #33 the other day going for 75.00 which was ridiculous. Then 2 days later I saw another raw in about the same grade going for 90.00 or so. That's just stupid. I'm crossing my fingers that my raw 7.0 hits 20.00.

I'm not complaining mind you but...I'm feeling sort of guilty maybe? Here's the deal. I've been saving a FF #48 to put on Ebay for a while that has a color touched spine. I saved it for right before the FF film thinking that maybe I'd get maybe 50.00 back or something. I've had this book for ages. So I put it up on Ebay and totally disclose this. And now these guys are going crazy (at least in my opinion) on the book:

FF #48

Should this thing be going that high? Should I feel guilty? Am I a bad man? Should I just be happy?

Why would you feel guilty?You have done nothing wrong but disclose all the information to the bidders! Sit back and enjoy this one!

Davidking623

Re: pricing, I don't think people consider that the seller may have:

a) bought the book from a dealer at full price previously

b) had to pay the slabbing fee

c) if overseas, been hammered by customs when the slabs came back to him

d) have some attachment to the book

There's nothing wrong with a high asking price - I'm staggered that there are always bidders for HG late SA slabs...usually people I've never heard of, whereas on ebay UK, with raw books, you see the same 30 or so names over and over again. In conclusion: if you ask for the moon, you just might get it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's one guy in particular who spent an insane amount on slabbed books in the past year (the clue I'll give you is ASM 19), and just last week sold a bunch of them at nosebleed prices...again, to usernames I'd never seen before...perhaps he's not as foolish as I thought wink.gif

$150 isn't too bad.

Many LCS would be asking $250 for a sharp VF+ copy regardless of the CT.

screwy.gif

FF #48

The book is right around HALF of FMV for it in that grade with slight amateur color touch. That book sold in VF+ TRIMMED with slight (A) a year ago for just a hair under $300!!!!

Thanks gentlemen. Maybe I just severely underestimated it's value. Nothing surprises me on Ebay anymore after today. 137.00 for the WNB #32? With 8 hours left?

And the high bidder has the top two bids, so he's prepared to go even higher! 893whatthe.gif

Can I consign my copy to you? tongue.gif