• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,163 posts in this topic

these are 4 of the nicest. and the average price was only $3ea on e-bay............... thumbsup2.gif

Would you like to double your money? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

i'm just filling out my run from 1-80 with just the line drawn covers. i still can't get over the color and gloss on these babies!! if you tilt them just right, the reflection is blinding......... 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

and actually, condition isn't all that important to me. for books from the 40's a decent G/VG does me just fine. i've just never come across any of the old line-drawn books that looked like these........... cloud9.gif

i'm just filling out my run from 1-80 with just the line drawn covers. i still can't get over the color and gloss on these babies!! if you tilt them just right, the reflection is blinding......... 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

and actually, condition isn't all that important to me. for books from the 40's a decent G/VG does me just fine. i've just never come across any of the old line-drawn books that looked like these........... cloud9.gif

Agreed. I wasn't going to bore anybody with this latest addition to my collection but since they've already passed out by now what the hey.

Rough edges on the bottom right. Darkening along the right edge.

1182560-Aprl4.jpg

First edition HRN75 wink.gif

that's VERY nice for an original edition!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup2.gif

and there's just something about a Classic with a 10 cent cover.......... cloud9.gif

keep in mind that as one of the OLDEST members of these boards, i still never saw a 10center on the stands...................

Hi. My first cover post. I just got this one in yesterday.

btw - what is the optimal size to scan and/or post cover scans at? My first attempt and the board told me the file was too big.

1181688-BraveBold_57_small.jpg

Sorry, getting the hang of things here.

FYI - you can edit your initial post after uploading the attachment and put the url in there. This way you don't have to create two posts just to post the scan of the book.

Oh and that's one of the nicest copies I've seen from a scan - awesome book thumbsup2.gif

Hi. My first cover post. I just got this one in yesterday.

btw - what is the optimal size to scan and/or post cover scans at? My first attempt and the board told me the file was too big.

Sorry, getting the hang of things here.

FYI - you can edit your initial post after uploading the attachment and put the url in there. This way you don't have to create two posts just to post the scan of the book.

Oh and that's one of the nicest copies I've seen from a scan - awesome book thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. I was wondering how you guys got the scans into the original post. Now I know. foreheadslap.gif

And, my first smiley.

and there's just something about a Classic with a 10 cent cover.......... cloud9.gif

keep in mind that as one of the OLDEST members of these boards, i still never saw a 10center on the stands...................

Weren't comics sold most everywhere? Even if you didn't buy them when you 5, 8 or 10, they were still around.

Weren't comics sold most everywhere? Even if you didn't buy them when you 5, 8 or 10, they were still around.

Living on 211 Street south of the Loop (Chicago) you couldn't help but run into those 10 cent covers.....at that time (1957 & up), the main selection could be found in or around the train stations, Illinois Central a commuter train to the Loop, & the Northwestern (different stations) which acquired other lines heading south to St Louis.....I remember the book rack at the 214 Street station (combined w/the Greyhound station) being as tall as I was - 4 foot and a good 4 foot wide......you could also find books in and around the rural bus stops, at the mom & pop stores.....here you would find the Archie’s, Donald Ducks and stuff like that...a book or two but nothing like the selection at train stations, they had MONSTER books at the train stations....with "Shock Theater" on TV and MONSTER books at the train station it was a great time to be a kid!

Living on 211 Street south of the Loop (Chicago) you couldn't help but run into those 10 cent covers.....at that time (1957 & up), the main selection could be found in or around the train stations, Illinois Central a commuter train to the Loop, & the Northwestern (different stations) which acquired other lines heading south to St Louis.....I remember the book rack at the 214 Street station (combined w/the Greyhound station) being as tall as I was - 4 foot and a good 4 foot wide......you could also find books in and around the rural bus stops, at the mom & pop stores.....here you would find the Archie’s, Donald Ducks and stuff like that...a book or two but nothing like the selection at train stations, they had MONSTER books at the train stations....with "Shock Theater" on TV and MONSTER books at the train station it was a great time to be a kid!

ok, i guess i somehow confused you guys (Adam and Mica included) when i said i never saw a 10center on the stands. but, i clearly was referencing my previous statement regarding Classics (illustrated, that is...........).

when i was a kid first buying comics in 1956, i don't believe there were any Classic Illustrated comics still selling for 10 cents. i only recall the painted 15 cent covers for as long as i can remember. (in fact i just checked in last years OS and it would appear that issue #81 was both the first painted cover and the first 15 cent book and released in early 1951, when i was three years old. subsequent reprints of all books, were then issue as 15 centers).

of course i wasn't referencing 10 centers in general - everybody on these boards knows that i have hundreds upon hundreds of mid-late 50's DC 10 centers.... grin.gif

ok, i guess i somehow confused you guys (Adam and Mica included) when i said i never saw a 10center on the stands. but, i clearly was referencing my previous statement regarding Classics (illustrated, that is...........).

Sir, I caught the tail end of the exchange and I was of the notion the comment referred to 10 centers in general......I have no knowledge of what you have or don't have. My related experience was not meant as a slur, my intent was to share a moment in time lost forever. Looking back on the thread, the reference is clearly made in regards to Classic Illustrated. It appears this was understood by all but me. w/r TSTQ