• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,136 posts in this topic

Fourth : Strange Tales 120 (Harry "Burntboy"s copy)

strange-tales-120F2.jpg

Thank you CGC (and Harry!), I got the expected Universal 8.5...with OWW pages! 893applaud-thumb.gif This one's a keeper, and the former Blowout copy will soon be back in the hands of it's previous owner...

thumbsup2.gif

glad it turned out so well..........i'll have to check what the grade was when i bought it off e-bay about 3-4 years ago (part of a 25 book package with issues from 116 up to the 140's).

i'm pretty sure it was touted as LESS than an 8.5...........hope the rest are similarly undergraded................. grin.gif

my OO copy of this book was a 9.4 and was sold to TB a couple of years ago..............

Second one : Strange Tales 103 Mass. Copy

ST-103-Massachusset-2.jpg

To my satisfaction, CGC gave it a Universal 8.0 White cloud9.gif

don't want to rain on your parade, but 8.0 for a comic with all the visible/extensive damage on the right front cover?!?!?! 893whatthe.gifconfused.gif

regards

That damage is called pre marvel chipping, a manufacturing defect resulting from the use of dull blade...if you want to know more about it there used to be a long thread on this in the grading & resto section... Some are allergic to it, not me grin.gif

If it wasn't for that, this book would most probably be a 9.2 and I would never had the opportunity to buy it...given my budget and the fact that ST 103 is one of the most difficult Silver Age Marvel comic book to get in decent or high grade...

Best,

Frederic

thanks for the info.

yet, this production flaw allows for it to go that high?!

i agree that apart those flaws the book looks gorgeous with vivid/rich colours (in hand it must be nicier i presume)!

congrats for a great set of books... thumbsup2.gif

regards

thanks for the info.

yet, this production flaw allows for it to go that high?!

i agree that apart those flaws the book looks gorgeous with vivid/rich colours (in hand it must be nicier i presume)!

congrats for a great set of books... thumbsup2.gif

regards

My understanding, is the following : With heavy pre chipping you can get to the 8.0 level (my ST 103 for example) if the rest of the book is reeaal nice. With light pre chipping (see ST 105 Pacific Coast copy on Heritage's archives) you can get as high as 9.0.

When a chip falls down then you get seriously hammered by CGC (see ST 108 CGC 7.5 copy on Heritage's archives and Burntboy's FF 16 CGC 7.0 on TVComics.com)

Still, it was a gamble when I bought that raw ST 103... as I had no certitude of getting that 8.0, although as you pointed out , that book is incredibly fresh (supple pages, great color saturation and gloss...and nice smell! insane.gif) and has great structure appart from the pre chipping.

It is one of my grail and it will be a keeper for a long time. cloud9.gif