• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,150 posts in this topic

Sorry, it always makes me laugh when people collect slabs of books that I remember buying from my LCS when they first were published.

What is truly sad and scary is that the later issues (350-425), the modern drek as some call it, are nearly impossible to find slabbed 9.8. I took a look at my raw copies, the ones i bought from my LCS, and not many of them would score a 9.6. most would rade between 9.2-9.4.

They aren't nearly impossible, it just that nobody thinks they are worth slabbing. Even if they would grade out as 9.9 copies, collectors just wouldn't slab them.

Sorry, it always makes me laugh when people collect slabs of books that I remember buying from my LCS when they first were published.

What is truly sad and scary is that the later issues (350-425), the modern drek as some call it, are nearly impossible to find slabbed 9.8. I took a look at my raw copies, the ones i bought from my LCS, and not many of them would score a 9.6. most would rade between 9.2-9.4.

They aren't nearly impossible, it just that nobody thinks they are worth slabbing. Even if they would grade out as 9.9 copies, collectors just wouldn't slab them.

Probably but I wish they would cause I would certainly like to add them to my collection being the completionist that I am. I also know a few others that would also like to add them to their sets.

Yes, it's SLAB-MANIA!

I don't usually buy slabs, but I couldn't resist these ebay wins.

First, Strange Terrors 2. Not just a slab, but a pedigree!

The grade is pulled down by some staple rust.

Scanning the label -- HAW!

1690490-strangeterrorslabel.jpg

I'm not sure how Big Apple got pedigree status, since most of the books I have seen are not high grade books. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not from me!

Jack

I would slab em if they were good condition. Mine too are in the 9.2 range. I loved this X-Men time frame. Granted these wouldn't be worth more then $40 or $50, but still that's double your money.... which is what most strive for a modern. Sometimes people just love a cover so much that they want it graded for a nicer presentation. I would LOVE to get my hands on U. X-Men 350, one of my favorite covers. That Maggot one is nice. Whatever happened to Maggot anyways?

The big purchase finally is in my grubby mits!! headbang.gif

mm0162.jpg

Dear god.. is it unrestored? and what's it grade? and can I see the back cover tongue.gif

Oh and Congratulations! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.gifyay.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Thanks Sid! I am one happy camper. cloud9.gif

It is restored to be sure. Otherwise it would be in someone else's collection! grin.gif

I call it about a 5.5 to 6.0.

Here is the back:

mm0163.jpg