• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,148 posts in this topic

Okay, here's my first post of my own personal stash this week....

This is from the Virtual Comicon, from the great Mr. MCMiles! Thank you sir!

CaptAtom33.jpg

This is from eBay, it's the first mention of flying saucers in comics and is part of the High Sierra Collection. Has anyone ever heard of that pedigree? CGC didn't make a note of it, so I doubt it's a big deal.

SpiritUFO.jpg

First Ditko Capt Atom! thumbsup2.gif

The High Sierra Pedigree is a tongue-in-cheek invention of Ron Pussell, Redbeard's Comics. He felt pedigrees were proliferating without requisite justification so he decided to create one. The books are uniformly high grade and were in his inventory, but that's about all they have in common.

The High Sierra Pedigree is a tongue-in-cheek invention of Ron Pussell, Redbeard's Comics. He felt pedigrees were proliferating without requisite justification so he decided to create one. The books are uniformly high grade and were in his inventory, but that's about all they have in common.

Thank you for the info! Now that I know about it, I think I like this Ron Pussell guy.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was a little disappionted on the grades but still beautiful copies. The gloss and centering is amazing!! I love black covers!!

Daredevil # 37 CGC 8.5 (off white to white pages)

HPIM1799.jpg

Fantastic Four #76 CGC 8.5 (off white)

HPIM1800.jpg

I didn't know what 'married pages" meant, so I looked it up and found FFB's explaination..

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...=0&fpart=12

"Married pages and covers means that you take a wrap or a cover from another comic book and use it to replace a missing or damaged wrap from the comic you're restoring. A wrap is a piece of paper with four comic pages on it. If you took apart a 32 page comic, you'd have eight wraps plus the cover.

There can be different ways to spot married wraps. If the married wrap is either noticeably darker or lighter than the other wraps, that can be clear evidence of marrying. The cut of the married wrap might also be different than the cut of the other pages, and/or the staple holes might be slightly off on the married page in comparison to the other pages, such that the restorer had to create new staple holes. If only a half of a wrap needs to be married (like when someone cuts out a pin-up and the person restoring the book elects to keep the original half wrap that remains) then the married half-wrap can be detected by the presence of Japan paper where the married half-wrap is joined with the original half wrap.

A married cover can be spotted when the cover looks fresher than the interior pages, or when the interior pages have edge wear inconsistent with the pristine edges of the cover, or when the edges appear to be trimmed a certain way along with the other signs I noted. "

I was a little disappionted on the grades but still beautiful copies. The gloss and centering is amazing!! I love black covers!!

Daredevil # 37 CGC 8.5 (off white to white pages)

HPIM1799.jpg

Great cover 893applaud-thumb.gif

I didn't know what 'married pages" meant, so I looked it up and found FFB's explaination..

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...=0&fpart=12

"Married pages and covers means that you take a wrap or a cover from another comic book and use it to replace a missing or damaged wrap from the comic you're restoring. A wrap is a piece of paper with four comic pages on it. If you took apart a 32 page comic, you'd have eight wraps plus the cover.

There can be different ways to spot married wraps. If the married wrap is either noticeably darker or lighter than the other wraps, that can be clear evidence of marrying. The cut of the married wrap might also be different than the cut of the other pages, and/or the staple holes might be slightly off on the married page in comparison to the other pages, such that the restorer had to create new staple holes. If only a half of a wrap needs to be married (like when someone cuts out a pin-up and the person restoring the book elects to keep the original half wrap that remains) then the married half-wrap can be detected by the presence of Japan paper where the married half-wrap is joined with the original half wrap.

A married cover can be spotted when the cover looks fresher than the interior pages, or when the interior pages have edge wear inconsistent with the pristine edges of the cover, or when the edges appear to be trimmed a certain way along with the other signs I noted. "

If this is the case then this book should be restored not qualified! So, can someone explain how this becomes a qualified book. Removing pages and replacing them with other ones is restoration. Isn't it?

If this is the case then this book should be restored not qualified! So, can someone explain how this becomes a qualified book. Removing pages and replacing them with other ones is restoration. Isn't it?

Sometimes, you can get away with stuff if you're properly married confused-smiley-013.gif Kinda like adding tape to make the book "whole" again....,