• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

grading and restoration

7 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

I have recently purchased ASM 2 and 3 and there is some tape on the inside cover 2 pieces on ASM 2 and a hole that looks suspect of a fill probably with Japan paper on the back cover of ASM 3. my first question is since i'll be sending this in to grade and would like blue labels would it be best to submit them through restoration removal to remove that small hole in the back cover as its the back cover I can live with a hole as the comic has chipping on the front cover. and Does 2 pieces of tape count as restoration? and or should I submit them for grading and see how they come back before re sending if needed to have the restoration removal?

Thanks,

Not required, but unless you have a good reason not to post them, you'll probably get a better answer with pictures, as the size of the tape(s) and what it looks like they're doing might factor in to the answer.

From what I understand anything you do to repair/restore a book will get you a Green or Purple Label but you can request a Blue label and it will be graded as if the repair/restoration is not present.

CGC does not count tape as a repair or restoration, the book will be graded taking all defects into consideration as if the tape was not there.

As already stated, without pics or an exact/detailed description of the entire book it will be near impossible to determine a grade on these books, from what you posted stating tape and a hole they could be anywhere from a FR 1.0 to a VG 4.0.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable.

"Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies."

Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

here are a few I snapped on the day I bought them i'll try to get some more close up shots later this week 

There are 2 # 2's sorry for the side ways pics on some 

ASM 2 a.jpg

ASM 2 b.jpg

ASM 3 .jpg

ASM 6a.jpg

ASM 9.jpg