• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I am inspecting old books...

33 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

The book looks dingy and deserves cleaning and pressing but how could i ever slab it?  I cant...

it appears to have a subscription crease down the middle ever so slightly, but would probably still present well graded..... yet unless you could get "jack kirby in pen on splash page" on the label, it would be difficult lol 

45 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Structurally the book is solid and unmolested. Regardless of any problems with it it could look great with minor cleaning,  Finding the the Kirby signature was like finding spanish dubloons it shocked me!  Not everything is about selling...

lol true (thumbsu Congrats! :shy:  but keep it raw and cherish it!!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

23 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Structurally the book is solid and unmolested. Regardless of any problems with it it could look great with minor cleaning,  Finding the the Kirby signature was like finding spanish dubloons it shocked me!  Not everything is about selling...

A great early FF with "The King's" signature...nice!  (thumbsu

In the end I broke down and sent it in for slabbing and pressing.  I want to see the book clean and missing the "subscription " bend.  I dont think the bend took color off, its not a crease its a bend and shows in lighting.  The spine and all four corners look good.  Maybe they will put the Kirby note on label.  Im running out of big money books to send in to CGS, i think this one deserved a place.  As for 500 to 1000 buck books yes plenty left...

No lol, in 1978 the book looked like it does today,  It was only about 18 years old at the time.  Hence my observation it was a barber shop book or some other highly trafficked business.  I am sure the comic book angels will reward him for serving his duty so well...

On 10/31/2018 at 5:00 PM, Karl Liebl said:

In the end I broke down and sent it in for slabbing and pressing.  I want to see the book clean and missing the "subscription " bend.  I dont think the bend took color off, its not a crease its a bend and shows in lighting.  The spine and all four corners look good.  Maybe they will put the Kirby note on label.  Im running out of big money books to send in to CGS, i think this one deserved a place.  As for 500 to 1000 buck books yes plenty left...

While I agree the book is worth slabbing and will present nicely, I hate to inform you that pressing will not remove the subscription 'bend'. It is obviously a color breaking crease. A crease that long will usually hold a book in the 5.5 range. I think they will put the Kirby note on the label and it will not affect the grade. Good luck.