• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF 52 Jury is In...

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

Pulling down the heads of books in a circular rack at 7/11... big bend at top staple.  The FF52 had it.  Don't worry about my money Ill be ok...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f7.jpg.4c62a7a633d4965d405a52dbda199455.jpg

(thumbsu  Love the reply and the car !!! I hope the engine wasn't warm, else your books may look like this................

$_57.JPG

7 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

The grader notes were "light wear spine, light wear top page, light wear bottom page"  There are no creases!  I checked package tracking it is close and should arrive tomorrow.  I will post some pics...

Often grader's notes won't mention some defects. So just because an flaw is not noted doesn't mean it isn't there.

Just take my word for it there are no creases in the cover,  I think I got low balled fine.  It is what it it is,  I think i get the slabbed book back tomorrow,  I am excited to see it after pressing and want to see what difference it made.  Its the first book i sent in.  I will post pics and you can decide for yourself.  If i see damage from pressing i will say and if improvement i will say too.  Half of the people here have FF 52 better than mine, its not a big deal.

That's a really nice copy Karl. I'd be quite happy with an 8.0 White pager.

You'd also do well to take the advice of the members here trying to help you out (Bomber-Bob, seanfingh, Artboy99 etc). They're seasoned collectors who are very familiar with CGC's grading standards. I've learned a ton from their posts here on the boards and from other members like them.

Regarding your statement that there are no creases on the cover, I can see at least 4 that break color just in the area of the spine between the bottom of the top staple and the Human Torch's hand. 

Creases aren't just "folds" in the paper, they are also the ticks on the spine (what you call rack rash?). I think this might be an instance where your terminology differs from that used and accepted in the hobby, by CGC etc. This is where listening to seasoned members can be an educating experience.

3 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Just take my word for it there are no creases in the cover,  I think I got low balled fine.  It is what it it is,  I think i get the slabbed book back tomorrow,  I am excited to see it after pressing and want to see what difference it made.  Its the first book i sent in.  I will post pics and you can decide for yourself.  If i see damage from pressing i will say and if improvement i will say too.  Half of the people here have FF 52 better than mine, its not a big deal.

Obviously, you think your CGC8 FF52, deserves a higher grade.

Call CGC and complain.:blahblah:

It' definitely a $5K comic :wishluck:

10 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Here it is.  No, I don't see any damage from pressing, it pretty much looks the same,,,

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_701.jpg.d1c253b4db46a50d62b3178b5edf6d61.jpg

If you had the book in hand, I'm sure the press flattened out the surface. It's just that there was nothing with this book that a press could improve. The top two corners are the biggest culprits along with the top edge wear. It's a great looking book for an 8.0 with White Pages, always a good thing. I'm sure it's a tweener between 8.0/8.5 . 

It really does look better than an 8 but it is what it is.  I fired two more shots over CGS bow that I KNOW are both better than this!  FF45 and FF49, sorry, I don't have a 48 so these will have to do.  I will let you guys know how they turn out... muhahahahaha

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ea.jpg.4107277dc2aa5a21ad627e72b7812e54.jpg