• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your collection by the numbers
3 3

48 posts in this topic

How, if at all, do you guys track your collections? I am a spreadsheet nerd, so I try and keep a listing of every book I own (including duplicates) with the box it's in, the year, publisher, grade and OSPG values. I also try and keep the price I paid for the book (even if it's an estimate), and I try and keep track of what I sold the book for (if I ever do so). I'll save you the time...I'm a nerd. But, I love numbers. I know that I have 112 issues from the publishing year 1964, and I have 413 issues of the Amazing Spider-Man, and I have more issues of DC than Marvel (by only 53 books). 4,547 issues overall. I love keeping track of where the holes in my collection are, etc.

I assume I am not alone, but anyone else out there worse than me?

2 hours ago, elibowman said:

How, if at all, do you guys track your collections? I am a spreadsheet nerd, so I try and keep a listing of every book I own (including duplicates) with the box it's in, the year, publisher, grade and OSPG values. I also try and keep the price I paid for the book (even if it's an estimate), and I try and keep track of what I sold the book for (if I ever do so). I'll save you the time...I'm a nerd. But, I love numbers. I know that I have 112 issues from the publishing year 1964, and I have 413 issues of the Amazing Spider-Man, and I have more issues of DC than Marvel (by only 53 books). 4,547 issues overall. I love keeping track of where the holes in my collection are, etc.

I just started tracking my books out of necessity.  I got tired of wondering if I had a book, buying it, and then coming home only to find it was there all along.  I have ~3,100 books and can't be bothered to go through every book to determine a grade.  It's hard enough determining the proper name/number with Marvel and their re-numbering.  (For example, Mighty Thor and Thor are two different titles with their own volume numbers, but as far as legacy number goes, they all count as v1 issue number XXX.)  Not only that, I'm going through and adding in writers/artists/cover artists for all books.  Oh, and publication month/year.  I know there are apps that do this, but I'm too cheap to pay for them.  :(  So I'll just sync with google docs so I can see what books I need while on the run.  (or alternatively, I use the CLZ app to track the books I need)

2 hours ago, elibowman said:

I keep a Google sheet with two tabs. One is for Adventure Time stuff (yes, I know, but hey, we're all collecting funny books). The other is everything else. I keep the title; grade; what I paid; guide value if I don't know what I paid; and any notes like classic cover, cover artist, pedigree. I'll denote volumes by year, so I might have Silver Surfer (2012) and Silver Surfer (2014). I should be current after the most recent culling. I don't add any comics to the boxes until I've cataloged them. I don't keep info like you're keeping: publishing date, publisher, etc.

3 hours ago, catman76 said:

In the 30 years I have been collecting comics I have never once counted how many I have or done anything like that. It never really crossed my mind.

Ha. I’m a numbers guy. I think about stupid stuff like that all the time. I know how many books are in each box I own. 

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

no tracking but about 3 long boxes... trying to get it down to 1.... how much does 3 long boxes hold anyway

I’m in the same boat. I’d love to get down to one long 

7 hours ago, elibowman said:

I am a baby boomer, with hard copy tracking sheets.  All I know is I have 200+ shortboxes, which might be 300 at this time.  I would like to shoot excel in the head.  I simply hate it.

3 hours ago, catman76 said:

In the 30 years I have been collecting comics I have never once counted how many I have or done anything like that. It never really crossed my mind.

Me either, just seems strange to me.

As far as knowing what I have? I can tell you exactly what I have , and what I need without any spreadsheets. 

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
4 hours ago, catman76 said:

Me either, just seems strange to me.

As far as knowing what I have? I can tell you exactly what I have , and what I need without any spreadsheets. 

Me either.

As far as knowing what I have? I probably can't tell your exactly what I have, without referring to inventory sheets.  And those are probably only 20% accurate 

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Me either.

As far as knowing what I have? I probably can't tell your exactly what I have, without referring to inventory sheets.  And those are probably only 20% accurate 

Well of course, you have a sh@tload more books then I.

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I am a baby boomer, with hard copy tracking sheets.  All I know is I have 200+ shortboxes, which might be 300 at this time.  I would like to shoot excel in the head.  I simply hate it.

Also a baby boomer, but never met an excel spreadsheet I didn't like! It's very useful to be able to swap between US and Australian currency in value fields by changing one cell, for example. Here's an extract of mine. Columns are comic - grade (with notes about how estimated) - price in AUD but can be shown in USD if required - date of acquisition - source.

spreadsheet.JPG.0a31121c7bc41b46f20f3e0e364ceb5c.JPG

Wow - looking at the prices I paid for those books at the time, I'm off to work on a time machine...

No obsessive - compulsive collecting or anything like that here, but I do have 348 comics from 17 different series. All are Marvel. 327 of them are Amazing Spider-Man vol.1. 40 are Silver Age, 171 are Bronze (1 Conan, 1 Luke Cage, 1 Star Wars, 1 Tarzan and 167 Spideys) and 138 are Modern (136 Spideys and 1 Star Trek). 

I use the CLZ comics app to keep track of them.

3600 books and all are listed/graded(by me) and cataloged with pictures.

The lists/pics are stored on my computer and two flashdrives.

I do not keep track of what I paid for them, some were gifts and bought my me 30-35 years ago.

I do remember paying $15.00 each for my ASM 14 and Avengers 4 back in the early 80's.

Paid $35.00 for my F.F #12 in the early 90's.

I don't have enough to track. Marvel slipcases. < 10 graded books. New 52 Justice League run. Started the DC Rebirth Action and Detective runs. Some randos here and there. 2019 will be a big year for me seriously turning from playing cards to comics, and Excel will probably be my go-to for keep a comprehensive list of what I have, and which books I own that are really worth anything. Mostly since I'll be sharing a lot of my read-able stuff with my best friend. I'll need a library of what I'm "supposed to have".

I track the following for each book:  Title, Issue#, Date, Publisher, Price Paid, CGC costs if I had it graded, My Grade, Comments, Seller's Grade, Seller (including site EB for Ebay, CB for the boards, etc), Date Purchased.

I also track books sold and include date sold, purchaser, and price sold.  I have 8,362 books.  Down from 9,021 at the end of 2016.

Edited by lonetree

29 minutes ago, lonetree said:

I track the following for each book:  Title, Issue#, Date, Publisher, Price Paid, CGC costs if I had it graded, My Grade, Comments, Seller's Grade, Seller (including site EB for Ebay, CB for the boards, etc), Date Purchased.

I also track books sold and include date sold, purchaser, and price sold.  I have 8,362 books.  Down from 9,021 at the end of 2016.

I wish I had been keeping track of where I got a book. I have some books that are original owner dating to the mid/late 80s when I started buying off the newsstand. I have a ton of eBay books, and a pretty good number purchased here on the boards. I would love to see some percentages of what I have acquired online vs. in person.