• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your collection by the numbers
3 3

48 posts in this topic

Lot easier now since I've reduced my numbers by 90%. 

Now I have a box full of super cool and very pricey books, as opposed to a bedroom full of BS. 

When I started collecting comic books I initially used a small spiral notebook to track them. After about a year that was no longer working, so I switched over to index cards.
A few years went by and that got to the point where the cards would no longer fit in the 3 by 5 plastic storage box, so I changed to Excel. Then about 4 years ago I got
ambitious and downloaded the home version Microsoft SQL server. I was then able to upload my Xcel list into SQL server with just a bit of code.
About 4 months ago I encountered a issue with my desktop, as suddenly nothing was displayed in color. I had to run the process to restart my PC from scratch. :pullhair:
 I then reloaded all the usual software one needs and also loaded SQL Server, but now it's the 2017 version. Of course my table that stored my comic books was also lost. I rebuilt it, and created a new DB today (thanks to being inspired by this thread), just to track the top books in my collection.

Edited by frozentundraguy

Hi, All

I've been collecting since I was seven and have been keeping a running total since I was ten (I'm fifty-one now).                                                                                    I write every book I get down in ledger (Cash book). I enter the place number, the title, month, issue number, cover price and the year. I used to re-enter the books in alphabetical order every year in a new book until it became too much work.  I also use Comic base to track the collection I have over 55, 000 books.                       Here are a few older pictures of the ledgers. 

150.JPG

149.JPG

144.JPG

I can’t believe how many cavemen are on this thread, only a couple actually mentioned an app. Or website. I use comicspriceguide.com and it’s perfect to keep track of my collection of over 30k books. I input whatever new books I get and can look over my collection very easily. It’s got the info for purchase date, what you paid for it, option for graded or signature, etc. And there is an area for notes where you can put other misc. info, for example CGG, white pages, etc.

I've been using a couple different online options primarily because:

1. They allow me to see the return on investment over time based upon current sales.  This makes it easy to spot trends.

2.  They allow me to carry this information with me anywhere. 

3.  They easily create visualization of the data which makes it easy to spot trends.

4.  They incorporate CGC census data within the app.

5.  I can upload pictures of my books into the app.

Finally,  one in particular allows me to input specific info such as where I purchased,  from whom,  graders notes, it imports page quality if I input the CGC certification number, and will print value/inventory reports based upon all of the above.   I'm a data nerd but I am not crazy good with excel and I grew up in the 80's so paper and pencil was less of a thing for me (not to imply ageism, just reflecting some of what I've seen in this thread).

Comicsmv.com (the less useful of the two but still good for visualization and recent sales-free)

Gocollect.com ($5.99/month-much more detailed, takes more time but allows for many more options)

I'm returning to these boards after many years away and enjoying the conversation.   I hope this was useful.