• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reholding VS Recertification?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

The fees section of CGC states reholding so I sent a Cgc graded slab at 9.6 in for a new slab. I just looked at the shipping invoice and it’s graded now at .0. From reading a previous thread a .0 means they can’t grade it. At the bottom of the fees page it states that recertification may not get the same grade. That being said, they say reholding in the fees section so I thought that was two different things and now I’m very concerned I just screwed myself. Should I be worried? If reholding may get a different great they should state that!!!

Edited by dcampbell07

I'd strongly consider calling or emailing CGC with your issue.  They literally have employees they pay to help paying customers with their questions and concerns.  And they will do so with a less condescending tone than I have.

Why on earth would crowd-sourcing an answer from anonymous internet strangers be better than calling a company YOU PAID MONEY TO AND HAS POSSESSION OVER YOUR COMIC?

Also, Grading and Re-holdering are different things, and things are only regraded during re-holdering if the original slab is super damaged or there is SUPER OBVIOUS EVIDENCE the grade is not the same as the posted grade.  But seriously, get your invoice number and call them.  You have ZERO REASON to trust my random opinion.

13 minutes ago, revat said:

I'd strongly consider calling or emailing CGC with your issue.  They literally have employees they pay to help paying customers with their questions and concerns.  And they will do so with a less condescending tone than I have.

Why on earth would crowd-sourcing an answer from anonymous internet strangers be better than calling a company YOU PAID MONEY TO AND HAS POSSESSION OVER YOUR COMIC?

Also, Grading and Re-holdering are different things, and things are only regraded during re-holdering if the original slab is super damaged or there is SUPER OBVIOUS EVIDENCE the grade is not the same as the posted grade.  But seriously, get your invoice number and call them.  You have ZERO REASON to trust my random opinion.

Why ask here? Did I misread the forums title?

the slab was not damaged just an older one. It was not damaged in shipping because I dropped it off at a con. But yes I should call Cgc and no you don’t have to be a jerk about it.

Edited by dcampbell07

30 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

the slab was not damaged just an older one. It was not damaged in shipping because I dropped it off at a con. But yes I should call Cgc and no you don’t have to be a jerk about it.

I'm definitely being a jerk about it (as I stated above).  And I get that this is the newbie section.  But my understanding of it is that it would be for 'newbies' as it relates to comics or even CGC.  Not a newbie as it relates to life in general or operating as a human.  My comment isn't really about comics or CGC, I just think it would be better for  people here (and everywhere) to contact customer service first in some cases, and I legit do not understand why that wouldn't happen.  Maybe its a generational thing where people randomly text or post on social media to get opinions on stuff before taking action, I don't know.  And there's probably very reasonable situations when that makes sense.  But this doesn't seem like one of them, and understanding the difference seems like a useful thing. 

And now, maybe next time you (and hopefully other readers) have a question here (or elsewhere) about some issue with a product/service, maybe you'll think "Hmmm...Is this really the best place to direct my question?"

Because some internet stranger might be a jerk about it.

And yes, I really didn't have to be so rude or condescending about it.  But play random internet stranger games, win random internet stranger prizes. 

Edited by revat

20 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

Calling CGC is certainly the right thing to do here; there may be a very simple reason why your grade changed the way it did. In any event, good luck. :foryou:

58 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

The fees section of CGC states reholding so I sent a Cgc graded slab at 9.6 in for a new slab. I just looked at the shipping invoice and it’s graded now at .0. From reading a previous thread a .0 means they can’t grade it. At the bottom of the fees page it states that recertification may not get the same grade. That being said, they say reholding in the fees section so I thought that was two different things and now I’m very concerned I just screwed myself. Should I be worried? If reholding may get a different great they should state that!!!

Not to worry, just an error

6 minutes ago, revat said:

I'm definitely being a jerk about it (as I stated above).  And I get that this is the newbie section.  But my understanding of it is that it would be for 'newbies' as it relates to comics or even CGC.  Not a newbie as it relates to life in general or operating as a human.  My comment isn't really about comics or CGC, I just think it would be better for  people here (and everywhere) to contact customer service first in some cases, and I legit do not understand why that wouldn't happen.  Maybe its a generational thing where people randomly text or post on social media to get opinions on stuff before taking action, I don't know.  And there's probably very reasonable situations when that makes sense.  But this doesn't seem like one of them, and understanding the difference seems like a useful thing. 

And now, maybe next time you (and hopefully other readers) have a question here (or elsewhere) about some issue with a product/service, maybe you'll think "Hmmm...Is this really the best place to direct my question?"

And yes, I really didn't have to be so rude or condescending about it.  But play random internet stranger games, win random internet stranger prizes. 

I still think you're one of the most helpful people here...:foryou:

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Calling CGC is certainly the right thing to do here; there may be a very simple reason why your grade changed the way it did. In any event, good luck. :foryou:

So I called, and the customer service rep was even shocked. After they called some people he got clarification. On reholders they always put .0 as the grade. So I guess this was a learning experience for all who read this thread! That being said they shouldn’t put .0. I think my heart stopped when I saw that!!! 

Just now, dcampbell07 said:
8 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

So I called, and the customer service rep was even shocked. After they called some people he got clarification. On reholders they always put .0 as the grade. So I guess this was a learning experience for all who read this thread! That being said they shouldn’t put .0. I think my heart stopped when I saw that!!! 

Despite my previous jerkiness, I'm glad you came back to provide the result so we could all learn something.  And I'm even more glad your issue resolved smoothly.

11 minutes ago, revat said:

Thanks dad.

32 minutes ago, revat said:

My comment isn't really about comics or CGC, I just think it would be better for  people here (and everywhere) to contact customer service first in some cases, and I legit do not understand why that wouldn't happen.  Maybe its a generational thing where people randomly text or post on social media to get opinions on stuff before taking action, I don't know.  And there's probably very reasonable situations when that makes sense.  But this doesn't seem like one of them, and understanding the difference seems like a useful thing. 

Don't ever go on reddit seeking help.  There are so many posts in different subs where people seek the answer from strangers instead of doing a simple google search.  The inability of some people to think critically and analytically for themselves in astonishing.  People don't want to do the work themselves to get an answer.  They just want the easy answer.  And I'm sure we've all been there before, but I think it's helpful as a matter of establishing good habits, for people to learn how to find answers on their own.  If you do the work and still can't find the answers, then by all means post and see what the "think tank" can come up with.

I've said it before, and i'll certainly say it again, it's just one of those "teach a man to fish" kinda moments.

(NOTE: I realize there are some specialized instances where the answer can't be found with a phone call or online (most opinion related inquiries or PGM threads for example), in those instances, i have no problem seeking out opinions/advice.)

Edited by ExNihilo

22 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

Thanks dad.

LOL. I think there probably is a generational difference of opinion going on here. Us old timers like to fend for ourselves and not necessarily ask for help. Sometimes, myself definitely included, we can get cranky about it. We are usually cranky from sleep deprivation because we have to keep getting up to urinate all night long. Give us another chance !

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Don't ever go on reddit seeking help.  There are so many posts in different subs where people seek the answer from strangers instead of doing a simple google search.  The inability of some people to think critically and analytically for themselves in astonishing.  People don't want to do the work themselves to get an answer.  They just want the easy answer.  And I'm sure we've all been there before, but I think it's helpful as a matter of establishing good habits, for people to learn how to find answers on their own.  If you do the work and still can't find the answers, then by all means post and see what the "think tank" can come up with.

I've said it before, and i'll certainly say it again, it's just one of those "teach a man to fish" kinda moments.

(NOTE: I realize there are some specialized instances where the answer can't be found with a phone call or online (most opinion related inquiries or PGM threads for example), in those instances, i have no problem seeking out opinions/advice.)

This isn't reddit. And thanks for enlightening me on the policy of what questions newbies can ask. Some times people should just kept their opinions to themselves and move on to the next thread. If you don't want to help maybe stay out of the Newbie Forum, just saying.   This is one of the "teachable " moments LOL. ;-)  

Edited by dcampbell07

2 hours ago, dcampbell07 said:

Sometimes it's better to go right to the source and call their 800 number. Yes, this forum is for questions but you don't always get the correct answer from the crowd. People want to help don't get me wrong but sometimes the answer given is not correct. 

8 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

This isn't reddit. And thanks for enlightening me on the policy of what questions newbies can ask. Some times people should just kept their options to themselves and move on to the next thread. If you don't want to help maybe stay out of the Newbie Forum, just saying.   This is one of the "teachable " moments LOL. ;-)  

My response was directed at revat and a confirmation of human nature in the age of the internet.  Whether it's this sub or reddit is irrelevant, the same issues permeate "forum" type websites all over.  What you choose to post is your prerogative. The discussion and lessons that stem from your question and how you respond to them are the "teachable" moment in this instance.  I have no beef with your post to be honest.  It's something I've never encountered nor did I have an answer to it.  And could have very easily been something I myself might find myself posting in the future (we're none of us immune to this...I imagine a look back at my post history will have some very easily answerable questions that come with age/experience).  But I wanted to voice my agreement with revat's sentiments.  2c