• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Amazing Spider-man #1 out there somewhere
3 3

33 posts in this topic

Gang, I was partly involved with the acquisition of a collection recently.

After the books were received we noticed that the Amazing Spider-man #1 was a 1966 GRR reprint and not the original one from 1963 of which pictures that were originally provided.

It looks like someone who viewed the collection at some point switched out the ASM #1 for the GRR copy with the owners not being the wiser.

I genuinely believe that the owners were not aware of what had happened and were not trying to mislead. They are older and are now genuinely concerned about it. Little old ladies were literally duped. 

The books come from Northern California area of San Francisco / San Jose / Oakland but literally could be anywhere now.

If you see this book anywhere, it has some distinctive markings and your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

659961833_AmazingSpider-man1.thumb.jpg.68a2c3c8a6d301bb5387dd06347943a6.jpg

15 hours ago, VintageComics said:

After the books were received we noticed that the Amazing Spider-man #1 was a 1966 GRR reprint and not the original one from 1963 of which pictures that were originally provided.

It looks like someone who viewed the collection at some point switched out the ASM #1 for the GRR copy with the owners not being the wiser.

I genuinely believe that the owners were not aware of what had happened and were not trying to mislead. They are older and are now genuinely concerned about it. Little old ladies were literally duped. 

The books come from Northern California area of San Francisco / San Jose / Oakland but literally could be anywhere now.

If you see this book anywhere, it has some distinctive markings and your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

That's my area will keep a look out (thumbsu

17 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Looks a lot like my Spidey 1 at first glance so I'll be able to spot it easy if I come across it.

1746020968_Spider-Man1CGC8(2).thumb.jpg.d16f68fb59764a1d62159f6994773376.jpg

Best also to scan similarly centered AS 1s with that triangular right edge chip for any eradication or camouflage of that exact area. Name or another date written across it or scratched out in some way, either crudely or very carefully. The macro-tells are the date, the right edge triangular chip and the centering. Best to be aware that more chips can be deliberately added and the date area can be altered. Books centered this way with minimal wear should be carefully scrutinized for the other two tells or their alteration.

19 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Thanks in advance.

local stores notified?

Edited by kav

ps can CGC be notified so when it comes in for grading as it at some point most certainly will be.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, kav said:

ps can CGC be notified so when it comes in for grading as it at some point most certainly will be

CGC has been notified.

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Don't they know who else viewed the collection?  

These were literally little old ladies but they are working on figuring it out.

The collection has been viewed more than once and over a fairly long period of time so it may not be easy to figure out.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
5 hours ago, kav said:

ps can CGC be notified so when it comes in for grading as it at some point most certainly will be

CGC has been notified.

What good will that do ?

Submitter can say he bought it from a myriad of places/people. Cash transaction. Like so many. Then what ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

What good will that do ?

Submitter can say he bought it at a convention or a myriad of other places. Cash transaction. Like so many. Then what ?

its stolen property-like hot potato the last guy holding it hasta return it.  If there's link to who sold it an arrest can be made.

10 minutes ago, kav said:
12 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

What good will that do ?

Submitter can say he bought it at a convention or a myriad of other places. Cash transaction. Like so many. Then what ?

its stolen property-like hot potato the last guy holding it hasta return it.  If there's link to who sold it an arrest can be made.

Don't think it's that linear but ok. Anyhow, I wouldn't expect the book to show up for many months until it's long forgotten. But who knows.

If he thought of a way to make the switch he'll think of a way to dilute it into the market.

Edited by Gotham Kid

12 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Don't think it's that linear but ok. Anyhow, I wouldn't expect the book to show up for many months until it's long forgotten. But who knows.

If he thought of a way to make the switch he'll think of a way to dilute it into the market.

As I understand it as soon as stolen property is identified the law states that it returns to the owner.  Doesnt matter how long.

Edited by kav

It might be worth keeping an eye out in Portland and Eugene as well as the collection came from north of Sacramento.

@Senormac

Who else is out that way...trying to remember.