• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Man #1 (Legacy #601)

9 posts in this topic

So, I visited my LCS on Wednesday, and noticed a ton of low-number Marvel comics. Turns out they rebooted most of their titles recently! Long story short; I bought the first 5 issues of the rebooted Iron Man series.

Of those who have read a few issues, are you finding the dialogue in these a total turn-off..? "You're James Rhodes, it's what you do." Who speaks like that!? Stark also keeps saying "Rhodey" seemingly every time he addresses him. I almost threw up on the 3rd book because of how bad the dialogue is.

I know it could just be the writer. I plan on getting into the new Thor series to see if that one's any good. The crappy writing in this one has me feeling really down on Marvel comics right now. I was getting excited. seeing all these titles rebooted, making me anxious to read these stories from the beginning. My excitement became flaccid after issue #3.

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I plan on getting into the new Thor series to see if that one's any good.

I can't get past the artwork on Thor.  I bough the first 4 issues, it's like a bad acid trip (or so I assume).  Anyway, new comics are getting harder and harder to get behind, for the reasons you mentioned.  It seems like you can get by with either a lazy artist and a good writer, or a lazy writer and a good artist, but Marvel seems to be pairing up both of the lazies.    

Captain America is pretty decent right now.  

Edited by Mercury Man

19 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I can't get past the artwork on Thor.  I bough the first 4 issues, it's like a bad acid trip (or so I assume).  Anyway, new comics are getting harder and harder to get behind, for the reasons you mentioned.  It seems like you can get by with either a lazy artist and a good writer, or a lazy writer and a good artist, but Marvel seems to be pairing up both of the lazies.    

Marvel's writing is better now than it was prior to Fresh Start.  Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk is fantastic.  Chip Zdarsky did a good job with Marvel 2-in -1.  Cates is...well, everything he's touched has turned to gold.  But the art...I can't believe Marvel doesn't have any supremely talented artists on its payroll.  It's like DC has locked them all in to exclusives and holds a monopoly on artist contracts (Lee obviously, Capullo, Fabok, Reis, etc).  I follow Brett Booth on insta and he's locked in to an exclusive contract but DC can't even find a decent project that they can both mutually agree on.  There's this constant tug-a-war for talent and right now DC has more of it.  Marvel needs to add a heavy hitter (like HIckman/Weaver).

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I'll take a good look at a few pages before I buy them, then. Thanks for the heads-up.

Aside from Man of Steel Vol. 2 being very "meh" for a 6-issue limited run, it did setup Superman Vol. 5, and neither the art nor the writing is poor by any means. I'll be fairly disappointed if I can't 'get into' a current Marvel series.

On 11/5/2018 at 5:13 PM, ExNihilo said:

But the art...I can't believe Marvel doesn't have any supremely talented artists on its payroll. 

I think they do.  I think it’s more the house style and the style of the times.  There’s a lot of Bryan Hitch style art being done, by guys who aren’t Hitch.  They really need an art director who emphasizes clean lines and sequential storytelling.

It reminds me of when I started collecting in 1979 and didn’t like the art in DC books.  Of course, I didn’t realize then that a whole bunch of guys who weren’t Neal Adams were trying to draw like Neal Adams.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:47 PM, Mercury Man said:

Thanks again for the heads-up. I took a look at Thor yesterday, and the artwork is not good IMO. Definitely not my style. I did buy Cap #1 because the art looks good.

One of the shop owners said he doesn't like the look of Green Lantern #1. Specifically used "dated", but I love old comic artwork. I don't remember ever distinctly disliking any 20th century stuff.

4 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

One of the shop owners said he doesn't like the look of Green Lantern #1

Yeah, I passed on that due to the art.  Now at $4-$5 per new book, I need to be more discerning.  I am dropping more titles this week.  Just can't keep up financially, when I would rather stockpile the money for some SA stuff.