• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Stan Lee's Most important or Memorable Book?

64 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

The intro of Spider-Man.  One of the top 3 superheroes of all-time (we can argue his spot in the top 3 all day).

I don't think we can. Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man are the 3 most-recognized comic book heroes of all-time.

IIRC, Spider-Man was also Stan's favorite hero that he created.

40 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I want to say FF #1, but I'm having a hard time dismissing AF15, or even ASM 1. AF15 really captures the essence of a hero so well, in a way that FF1 doesn't even concern itself with. It's hard to pass on. 

FF 1 was still a basically old school type story but with a bit of a twist.  I dont think it qualifies as best of/most important Stan lee.  I picked a book where his signature modern type story really took off.  Readers after that were like face it Tiger, I just hit the jack pot.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't think we can. Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man are the 3 most-recognized comic book heroes of all-time.

IIRC, Spider-Man was also Stan's favorite hero that he created.

I meant his place in the top 3, not if he is top 3 (clearly he is).

she was originally introduced by Lee and Romita as “just for fun,” but they soon found the character running away from them.

According to the two creators, Gwen Stacy was always meant to be Peter Parker’s one true love, but in collaborating on Amazing Spider-Man, they found that Mary Jane had “all the personality,” and efforts to make Gwen more interesting and attractive seemed to fail. When Gerry Conway succeeded Stan Lee on the title, he agreed and famously killed Gwen off, partially to bring Mary Jane to the forefront of Peter Parker’s love life.

1 minute ago, kav said:

FF 1 was still a basically old school type story but with a bit of a twist.  I dont think it qualifies as best of/most important Stan lee.  I picked a book where his signature modern type story really took off.  Readers after that were like face it Tiger, I just hit the jack pot.

That was Stan at the height of his powers. ASM 39-40 are as classic as it gets.  41 isn’t shabby and then you get MJ in 42!  Just so much “awesome” every month.

2 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

That was Stan at the height of his powers. ASM 39-40 are as classic as it gets.  41 isn’t shabby and then you get MJ in 42!  Just so much “awesome” every month.

There's some argument to be made for this one-all the characters together at a party, Osborn and peter both knowing who each other is, Osborn punching him in the gut how's it GOIN ol buddy ol pal?  Jameson saying you'd never get him to a head shrinker Capt Stacy saying 'too bad'.  It was just top notch drama and character writing.  Shakespearian.

Spectacular_Spider-Man_Magazine_Vol_1_2.jpg

We all know what the most influential comics are. As far as his best stories, FF 51 and SS 1 have already been mentioned, but I also really enjoyed his collaboration with Moebius on Silver Surfer. It seems the Surfer was one of his favorite characters to write. A lot of his best work revolves around him.

X-Men 1.  In X-Men 1, the thread of morality that Stan had been building in the Marvel Universe burst into full flower.  As he put it:  "“All of our characters were freaks in their own way. The greatest example was with X-Men — they were hated because they were different. The idea I had, the underlying theme, was that just because somebody is different doesn’t make them better. . . . That seems to be the worst thing in human nature.”

The moral views that Stan interjected into comics, first hesitantly, then allegorically, and then full-throated (as in the 1968 Soap Box after MLK and RFK were killed) were what made Marvel different:

b2af7d60-c0e7-45ba-82f5-516f6679b640.jpg

His words, sadly, are still true.  If only more people took the quote "With great power comes great responsibility" seriously.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

X-Men 1.  In X-Men 1, the thread of morality that Stan had been building in the Marvel Universe burst into full flower.  As he put it:  "“All of our characters were freaks in their own way. The greatest example was with X-Men — they were hated because they were different. The idea I had, the underlying theme, was that just because somebody is different doesn’t make them better. . . . That seems to be the worst thing in human nature.”

The moral views that Stan interjected into comics, first hesitantly, then allegorically, and then full-throated (as in the 1968 Soap Box after MLK and RFK were killed) were what made Marvel different:

b2af7d60-c0e7-45ba-82f5-516f6679b640.jpg

His words, sadly, are still true.  If only more people took the quote "With great power comes great responsibility" seriously.

X Men 1 I can see the argument but the writing was pretty bad.  As far as FF 1 just because it was his first, thats like saying Muhammad Ali's best/most important fight was his first cause thats when he started.  Nope.

1 minute ago, kav said:

X Men 1 I can see the argument but the writing was pretty bad.  As far as FF 1 just because it was his first, thats like saying Muhammad Ali's best/most important fight was his first cause thats when he started.  Nope.

I'm not going for "best," I'm going for "most important."  And I think the argument for X-Men 1 is pretty strong.  It's the first book that had a strong central storyline with a very prominent moral center beyond cops and robbers, and it is a storyline which has more than lasted the test of time.  

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Without FF #1, AF #15 never exists...

Discuss.

I said most important or memorable

I probably would have to say FF1 most important because of your statement. But memorable?

My first Marvel was Amazing Spiderman #3. It rocked me like no other comic book had ever done. It seemed almost real. Every school had a "Peter Parker". And every Peter Parker's dream was to be Spiderman. A very sad life for Peter. He couldn't display his powers nor could he get close with anyone. And, as time as shown, Spiderman has far eclipsed the FF4 in popularity. Now which issue or issues? Hard choice for me...

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'm not going for "best," I'm going for "most important."  And I think the argument for X-Men 1 is pretty strong.  It's the first book that had a strong central storyline with a very prominent moral center beyond cops and robbers, and it is a storyline which has more than lasted the test of time.  

It had a specific moral center about 'others' but Peter not being able to buy medicine for his very sick aunt and still not tempted to turn to crime is also a very strong moral center.  I'm not sure the X Men would have held to their principles if Professor X was sick-I could see them busting into some place to save him.

Going back as a fan boy i would say FF1 started it off for me as a Stan lover.I know he goes way back but as a kid for me he will always be the man who made comics great :headbang:

Edited by comicjack