• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Rare is a Jack Kirby Signed Book?

58 posts in this topic

Remember in Infinity War, when Bucky, Cap, T'Challa, and Banner are all being overwhelmed by the Outriders, and then the Bifrost booms, Strombreaker turns the tides, Silvestri's Avengers theme brings your goosebumps to their weakest knees, and Thor's appearance is one of the most glorious entrances in cinematic history?

@MyCameo posting in a topic is literally the exact opposite reaction.

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

Jack signed a lot of comics, although probably orders of magnitude fewer than Stan.  He was a frequent attendee at New York Comic Con when living in NYC and San Diego Comic Con when he moved to SoCal.  And back in the day, the creators signed books for fans for free.  Here's one I had signed at a Phil Seuling show:

Kirbysig1.thumb.jpg.ace03daf91e12a4e3d80146ebdb0f279.jpg

Mr. Kirby passed away years before the advent of CGC, if you're thinking about "officially" designated signatured CGC slabs, so those are nonexistent.  There are, however, other signature authentication services in the comics encapsulation industry.

This is how I like comic books to be signed. Quietly, with no parade, exhibiting some kind of cool dignity.   

Probably a good incentive to actually open up all your books. I have found a few of these first page signatures over the years. Roy Thomas, Chris Claremont (I know he signs there because he did that with me on some Power Man books), etc. Obviously all unverifiable, but kind of neat. That I found them in 50 cent and dollar boxes probably means they are real and someone who got the sig just forgot it was there. Remember, these guys never used to charge. You could go to a show and have John Romita sign 40 books for you. Just be really nice about it. Really makes me wish I had gotten more sigs of these guys when it was easy. Herb Trimpe used to go to plenty of shows. Steranko. I certainly had plenty of otherwise worthless Trimpe books. His sig, even unverified, couldn't have hurt. Plus most of these guys were/are pretty pleasant and its fun to chat. John Romita Senior was super nice. Chris Claremont acted like he had not seen one of his Power Man books for a million years and started reading the corny dialogue to Neil Gaiman, who was sitting next to him signing (Gaiman's line was 300 people long, Claremont's was about 5 people)

Edited by the blob

5 hours ago, Jerkfro said:
5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Maybe, but you can't make up stories about this for CGC. It's fairly common knowledge that CBCS has questionable "authentication" practices. CGC has been air-tight for 18 years now.

All I can say is that it always hasn't been air-tight for every day of that 18 years. I've heard some stories. Obviously, I can't prove anything but what I've heard has come from signature series veterans who have been having comics signed for many of those 18 years. 

Edited 5 hours ago by Jerkfro

It's all an illusion  . . . air-tight, schmair-tight. :whistle:

2 minutes ago, divad said:

Roger that! (thumbsu Never a bad idea to read them either!  :whatev:

+1. There are folks who've never read a comic book. I guess the $$ signs are hard to see past for some. 

8 hours ago, namisgr said:

My post is just above yours, where I wrote:

Mr. Kirby passed away years before the advent of CGC, if you're thinking about "officially" designated signatured CGC slabs, so those are nonexistent.  There are, however, other signature authentication services in the comics encapsulation industry.

I mistakenly thought that since it was right there in a one page thread, you might have read it before posting.

Darn I missed it.

10 hours ago, namisgr said:

I guess you didn't read my post above, either.  It's only a one page thread, people.

I've noticed this is a problem lately Bob in certain corners of the forum.

14 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

+1. There are folks who've never read a comic book. I guess the $$ signs are hard to see past for some. 

Cracking them open can expose. Interesting nuggets. I quite randomly opened a marvel team up to read (because I am old and like self contained stories) only to see it had a short back up story drawn by ditko, something not mentioned on the cover.