• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Views: D*ck Dillin
1 1

51 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, vodou said:

Mundane...that's the word I was looking for. Thanks!

In all seriousness, I've seen you make the case for Sal being transcendent before, and it's fine, I just don't agree. The was a point when he started inking himself (I'm thinking 1990s PPSSM period iirc but maybe a different book?) where he clearly broke with his 1980s and earlier style, but...I'm thinking it's only better (less shtty/muddy) than Byrne inking himself on Namor, NextMen, et al than anything else of worthy of note. I'll give him that, moving with the 90s look in the 90s I guess. But...? Again...just me, not sold on the conclusion, but I understand the premises that bring you there.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. Found his style and his ability morph to match his project over 40 years unmatched. Guess i wont have to worry about bidding against you :-)

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I get that. If you look at some of Sekowsky's art, the position of body parts or location of characters in the scene defy the rules of physics or anatomy. But that seems delibertately stylized. I don't recall it much with Dillion.

That JLA page which was posted by Panelfan is a hoot. I'd be tempted to buy it for the dialog.What's Black Canary doing? Using a soldering iron on a desk terminal?

the dialogue is a very big attraction to pages by Dillin.

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Again to be fair, Sal Buscema was one of the most talented artists working at Marvel and a top 5 comic artist of all time. Its not overly fair IMO to put him with brown, Trimpe, Dillin, and Novick. You dont make it 40+ years of constant quality driven work in comics by being a journeyman.

Agreed! Completely! 

1 hour ago, vodou said:
3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Guess i wont have to worry about bidding against you :-)

Correct. I bought enough Sal for everybody to have two back when they were 3/$1 lol

I came in at the 5-10 a page range in the 80s. So many bad decisions made in the 90 when i unloaded much of it....sigh...

3 hours ago, Will_K said:

It's a Green Arrow swear word.  Although I have to admit I don't remember if it's from JLA or the GL/GA title.  I was going off your appreciation of dialogue.

Got it thanks.

The recent posts by RGL selling this stuff got me reading all the pages - some were very tempting for the dialogue.  

4 hours ago, Will_K said:

It's a Green Arrow swear word.  Although I have to admit I don't remember if it's from JLA or the GL/GA title.  I was going off your appreciation of dialogue.

I ‘m thinking JLA, maybe from his arguments with Hawkman?

23 hours ago, Will_K said:

I think that pretty much summarizes Dillin's appeal from an artistic standpoint.  Dillin basically had 2 looks/phases, when he was inked by Sid Greene or when he was inked by D i ck Giordano and/or Frank McLaughlin. 

One more thing... the annual JLA / JSA crossovers.  More precisely, Justice League of America was pretty much DC's only team book for the better part of 20 years.  Yes, there was the Legion of Super-Heroes.  But except for Superboy, it did not have any of DC's mainline characters (e.g. Batman), no character had it's own title.  Teen Titans was cancelled a couple times.  Freedom Fighters wasn't a major factor.  Challengers of the Unknown, not really.  Blackhawks, also cancelled a couple times.  With a rotation of writers, Dillin was pretty much the only constant in the JLA title.

With certain DC artists getting pricey, the market has worked its way to Dillin.  If you were to weigh Dillin's appeal by artistry vs nostalgia, I think it's mainly nostalgia.

Wasn't it Mike Burkey @romitamanwho bought all of the art from Dillin's family after he passed??  I think it was in CBG or something where MB said that his offer was the best by a wide margin (maybe I overheard him say it).  Maybe MB can fill in some backstory about that.  I bought a few pages back in the day, I wish I got more.

Actually...(I bought Bob Browns art from his daughter directly back in 2007 and i still have whats left from back then on my website and i've never changed a price

(mostly Murphy Anderson inked Superboy pages from the 1960s are what i have left.....Most all of the Marvel pages have sold)

Gary Dolgoff is the guy who bought the Dillin estate in the mid 90s. (he told me he paid i believe 3 dollars per page for everything!)  Only 1 year I remember Gary had all of Dillin's pages at a Chicago con.....none in bags, all in about 15 milk crates standing upright, and all pages were a flat 20 bucks a page...i spent 3-4 thousand dollars with him so i got a cut down to 15 bucks a page.

Ahhh Those were the days!!!

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I  think his art looks like it would work best in a kid’s coloring book.

Nothing wrong with that, if that’s your preference.

You are right - but I think that's cool.  My interest in comics started with cartoons.  I never collected jla. I did watch super friends and other similar shows.  To have that kind of art with matching banter in comic art - is what I find so fun about it. Clearly it inspired the cartoons.  Doesn't mean I dont also love Adams, Miller, Byrne, Buscema and many other hero artists. It's all about the kind of stories you like.  Many Europeans love asterix, tin tin, disney etc.. all stuff aimed at kids. As adult collectors- we love that stuff we grew up with. Unlike the fine art world - we dont buy what others think is good or important. We buy what we enjoy and try and not judge others for their tastes.

1 hour ago, Panelfan1 said:

You are right - but I think that's cool.  My interest in comics started with cartoons.  I never collected jla. I did watch super friends and other similar shows.  To have that kind of art with matching banter in comic art - is what I find so fun about it. Clearly it inspired the cartoons.  Doesn't mean I dont also love Adams, Miller, Byrne, Buscema and many other hero artists. It's all about the kind of stories you like.  Many Europeans love asterix, tin tin, disney etc.. all stuff aimed at kids. As adult collectors- we love that stuff we grew up with. Unlike the fine art world - we dont buy what others think is good or important. We buy what we enjoy and try and not judge others for their tastes.

I did collect JLA; and in fact, still have them. But even then I thought the style was not well suited for the adventures or content. Someone who drew with a finer line and more detailing for a more lifelike appearance, I think would have been more sensible. I gather he was a nice guy, but that doesn't mean I can't dislike his style on that book.

3 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Unlike the fine art world - we dont buy what others think is good or important. We buy what we enjoy and try and not judge others for their tastes.

Wow that's a really wide brush you paint your abstracts with ;)

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Wow that's a really wide brush you paint your abstracts with ;)

Which indirectly goes back to my initial question: besides nostolgia, what is it about his published art people like? Yes, he could manage large groups of heroes, but it also seems to be part of what any professional artist should do. 

I hadn't realized it before I had seen the JLA splash above, but he seems to have been good at the lost art of drawing small, tight buns. That's a valuable skill, and rarely seen in this age of large buns. Why he has Wonder Woman standing like that strikes me as unnatural.

His line work was simple, but not particularly interesting in my opinion. The characters in some of his pieces have unnatural anatomy laid out. 

So, what else justifies some of those prices I have seen besides nostalgia? 

On 11/17/2018 at 2:06 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Which indirectly goes back to my initial question: besides nostolgia, what is it about his published art people like? Yes, he could manage large groups of heroes, but it also seems to be part of what any professional artist should do. 

I hadn't realized it before I had seen the JLA splash above, but he seems to have been good at the lost art of drawing small, tight buns. That's a valuable skill, and rarely seen in this age of large buns. Why he has Wonder Woman standing like that strikes me as unnatural.

His line work was simple, but not particularly interesting in my opinion. The characters in some of his pieces have unnatural anatomy laid out. 

So, what else justifies some of those prices I have seen besides nostalgia? 

I like my only Dillin page because it features main DC heroes and is representative of the period (not edgy, just belonging).  So, nostalgia, yes, with a nod toward an appreciation of the beauty of "workmanship" type material.

JLA #100 p. 4 Giella inks (1972)

justiceleague.jpg

Edited by aokartman
artists