• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So What's Selling?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

Keys and especially 1st appearance keys. I personally switched to only keys as collecting a run was going to force me to buy books I didn’t really want to spend on. Would you rather have the 1st appearance of juggernaut or the 5th and 6th appearance of the vulture? 

The books my buds or I have able to sell at small shows quickly this year in almost any condition (as long as they are not restored) at good prices are ASM #13, #14, #15, #31, #50, #101,and #300. I would assume #129 as well, but have not had any to sell.The others in the series don’t move quickly at all unless they are very high grade and priced low.

Plus Hulk #1-6 and #180-181 (of course). FF #48 and #49 as well as Silver Surfer #1, #3 and #4, GSXM #1 and MSH #13.

And HOS #92, Flash #123, Detective #359, Hawkman #4 and Batman #181. New Gods #1 seems to be in demand as well.

And Golden Age Batman issues featuring Joker, Catwoman or Two-Face.

Things I have not been able to sell even though they seem to sell for online dealers are keys featuring the Black Panther, Adam Warlock, or Night Nurse as well as Ms. Marvel #1, Shazam #1 and many others. 

Thanks for listening,

Gardner

10 hours ago, jason4 said:

Keys and especially 1st appearance keys. I personally switched to only keys as collecting a run was going to force me to buy books I didn’t really want to spend on. Would you rather have the 1st appearance of juggernaut or the 5th and 6th appearance of the vulture? 

Did you single those out arbitrarily?  Early X-Men are a horrible read.  Amazing Spidey 49 and 63 are Romitas, much better.  Instead of buying run books you didn't really want, you're stuck overspending for unrelated keys you didn't really want.  I'm so jealous!

He is part of the masses, though.  In case of movie, buy key, particularly the ones the internet tells people they should want.

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Did you single those out arbitrarily?  Early X-Men are a horrible read.  Amazing Spidey 49 and 63 are Romitas, much better.  Instead of buying run books you didn't really want, you're stuck overspending for unrelated keys you didn't really want.  I'm so jealous!

He is part of the masses, though.  In case of movie, buy key, particularly the ones the internet tells people they should want.

Yeah, but I like juggernaut a lot even of he was introduced in a clunky fashion. With that said, spiderman 1 - 101 should probably be viewed as keys (ok, there are a couple of stinkers in there)

9 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I like the juggernaut character since I was a kid watching xmen cartoons. I don’t care if the story was clunky...Stan lee introduced an amazing character and that’s why I’d rather collect that key than books from asm 1-100 that don’t have as much historical significance (just an example was some later vulture books). 

Id also rather have a Spider-Man 2 than a later jug book even if the story isn’t as good just to illustrate my point. Topic is what’s selling and keys are what’s selling and rising. I bought a Spider-Man 48 15 years ago and it’s still worth about the same amount I paid then (30$). I also bought a Spider-Man 129 for 80$ and it’s now worth 900. 

5 hours ago, jason4 said:

Id also rather have a Spider-Man 2 than a later jug book even if the story isn’t as good just to illustrate my point. Topic is what’s selling and keys are what’s selling and rising. I bought a Spider-Man 48 15 years ago and it’s still worth about the same amount I paid then (30$). I also bought a Spider-Man 129 for 80$ and it’s now worth 900. 

Your brilliance as a speculator has nothing to do with the discussion of what's selling now, but thanks for playing.

I'm feeling like the floor on what people will spend for a key has risen.  Once upon a time, Wolverine and Punisher struggled to reach $1000, now modern variants are there all the time.  $100 seems like chump change  now... How many $20s are people willing to dish out before there's any resistance?

On 12/1/2018 at 10:13 AM, the blob said:

What's to pop? Half the stuff that was hot 5 years ago is dead. Stuff goes down, up, sideways.... a bubble implies a wide segment of the market is overheated. Some are, many books are not.

Yep, bubbles never happen and prices never go down.

I am pretty sure I have heard this before.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:35 PM, FlyingDonut said:
On 12/2/2018 at 9:09 PM, comicstock said:

Hey, Donut!  Are you still doing regular eBay listings and if so, what is your name over there?

flying-donut

New ones up every night!

That link seems to be taking me to an area for managing my own personal listings....

Here is a link that should take you to FD's listings though..... https://www.ebay.com/sch/flying-donut/m.html?_trksid=p3692

2 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Yep, bubbles never happen and prices never go down.

I am pretty sure I have heard this before.

I am perplexed as to how you read what I wrote and interpreted it that way. In 1993 there was an overall bubble. Practically everything was supposedly hot. Now we have a market where a lot of keys are super hot and nobody cares about the other 99.9% of the books out there. There may be a mini bubble for some of those keys, but the rest of the market is already deflated. Lots of buying opportunities if you think anything may bounce back.

52 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am perplexed as to how you read what I wrote and interpreted it that way. In 1993 there was an overall bubble. Practically everything was supposedly hot. Now we have a market where a lot of keys are super hot and nobody cares about the other 99.9% of the books out there. There may be a mini bubble for some of those keys, but the rest of the market is already deflated. Lots of buying opportunities if you think anything may bounce back.

honest question.  what was hot 5 years ago that isnt now?

11 hours ago, njwis said:

honest question.  what was hot 5 years ago that isnt now?

X-Factor 6, Preacher, Silver Age / Bronze Age Filler Books

13 hours ago, Dr. Balls said:

Peter Panzerfaust.

Thief of thieves, walking dead, scalped, hellblazer, chew, every image # 1, some gotg books, some deadpool books.  Many variants hot in 2013. Ok, not all of these are dead, but some have cooled a lot.

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

Thief of thieves, walking dead, scalped, hellblazer, chew, every image # 1, some gotg books, some deadpool books.  Many variants hot in 2013. Ok, not all of these are dead, but some have cooled a lot.

And not to say they will all stay dead. If I can find a chew 1 cheap I would buy it, but that is still around $400 in 9.8. Was it once up to $700-800? (Not sure) A 9.8 #2 just sold for under $40 shipped. I sold a pristine  raw copy for $75 when slabs were around $200.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, the blob said:

When were silver and bronze filler hot unless in 9.8? (I guess some in 9.4-.6)

They may not have been defined at hot but they sold a lot quicker and at higher prices 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

They may not have been defined at hot but they sold a lot quicker and at higher prices 5 years ago.

I guess, I never did well, sometimes some old avengers sold decently. In the early 2000s they moved a lot faster, but the prices were still not great.  Shipping costs keep on going up, particularly to Canada, which when I was selling a ton 15 years ago were a disproportionate % of buyers.

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

I guess, I never did well, sometimes some old avengers sold decently. In the early 2000s they moved a lot faster, but the prices were still not great.  Shipping costs keep on going up, particularly to Canada, which when I was selling a ton 15 years ago were a disproportionate % of buyers.

The exchange rate hasn't been fabulous lately either.