• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Classic Cover designation
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 4:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Sometimes CGC changes their mind about the designation. When I bought this book off Heritage’s “make an offer” program, it arrived with a piece of plastic on Caps machine gun, obviously left over from the encapsulation process. O.o  So after awhile I sent it back for a reholder, but when I received it back, cgc had removed the classic cover designation. I asked em why, and got back the answer they do what they want. It was a useless answer, IMO

Ummm........the answer would appear pretty self evident and you have only yourself to blame for the removal of the classic cover designation.  hm

By removing the piece of plastic on Cap's gun, you ended up removing the one single attribute that made this a classic cover in the first place. doh!  lol  

On 11/5/2021 at 4:37 PM, Dave2739 said:
On 11/5/2021 at 12:58 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Hey

I have this issue

I also have issue with that :flamed:

Well then, I believe Arnold here would then have some serious issues with the two of you and wants to meet both of you in the back alley to shall we say..........*ahem* discuss your concerns: :slapfight::slapfight: lol

Amazon.com: Gym Arnold Schwarzenegger Chest Pose Canvas Poster Decorative  Wall Art Painting Posters Home Living Room Bedroom Gift Decor for Men and  Women Teens 16×24inch(40×60cm): Posters & Prints

On 11/6/2021 at 1:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Well then, I believe Arnold here would then have some serious issues with the two of you and wants to meet both of you in the back alley to shall we say..........*ahem* discuss your concerns: :slapfight::slapfight: lol

Amazon.com: Gym Arnold Schwarzenegger Chest Pose Canvas Poster Decorative  Wall Art Painting Posters Home Living Room Bedroom Gift Decor for Men and  Women Teens 16×24inch(40×60cm): Posters & Prints

EbAso3iUcAEDXBk.jpg.5b76089ef77e4c915488f54978ab9a3a.jpg

Rob tried.

Edited by grendelbo

On 11/6/2021 at 1:00 PM, NoReserve said:

Actually I believe you are correct. I think it was only a promo piece, shown in Wizard perhaps. There is no issue with this as the cover.

I believe it's a pinup in Avengers 1 or something like that. I remember seeing it, will have to check my box 

On 12/3/2018 at 11:53 AM, zosocane said:

Which artist holds the distinction for drawing the most covers that CGC has designated a 'classic cover.'  hm

Also, which is the most recently published comic that holds a CGC 'classic cover' designation?  hm hm  Is there something after Batman 251 from 1973?

imageproxy.jpg.b51d8a0e2b3f7e62b73cc3f13

I think the most recent comic to have a classic cover designation, and undeservedly so, is Harley Quinn 26.

there are sooooo many covers far more deserving, such as ASM 50, 100, Wonder Woman 199 (Jeff Jones), batman 400, etc

On 11/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think the most recent comic to have a classic cover designation, and undeservedly so, is Harley Quinn 26.

there are sooooo many covers far more deserving, such as ASM 50, 100, Wonder Woman 199 (Jeff Jones), batman 400, etc

Sorry, Harley Quinn 25.  This garbage is somehow a ‘classic cover’

image.jpeg.7c7250eb1b67b6ae639d0093f11f4231.jpeg

On 11/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

If ASM 50 isn’t a silver age classic cover, what is?? Again, since it’s already a key book for the first appearance of Kingpin, I think the tendency is to look past the simultaneously amazing cover. Same with Avengers 57, though to a slightly lesser extent.  :sumo:

On 11/6/2021 at 3:50 PM, PopKulture said:

If ASM 50 isn’t a silver age classic cover, what is?? Again, since it’s already a key book for the first appearance of Kingpin, I think the tendency is to look past the simultaneously amazing cover. Same with Avengers 57, though to a slightly lesser extent.  :sumo:

Agree, ASM 50, Avengers 4, Avengers 57, FF 4, FF48.......all classics. Interesting, I never knew there was a "Classic Cover" designation. 

CGC appears not to use the Classic Cover notation if the book is a key otherwise.

Almost as if it goes without saying a key has a classic cover. Notations are used instead to mention appearance, origin, crossovers, etc.

ASM 50 could read:

First appearance Kingpin (Wilson Fisk).

Origin Spider-Man retold.

Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon cameo.

Classic Cover.

But that's a lot. The labels detract from the book enough as it is.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:00 PM, Timely said:

When I worked as a grader for CGC I added many of the “Classic cover.” notations you see. Some were already added when I got there in 2004, but not many outside the obvious, Det 31, Superman 14, etc. I’m pretty sure I added the majority.

I always wondered how the classic covers got chosen. It wasn’t an Overstreet thing. CGC just applied their own brand to the ones they thought worthy.

”they” being you. I liked your choices. I’ll bet you labeled the All Select 2 as a classic cover, and once you left, someone else felt differently.