• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scarcity of Actions

76 posts in this topic

I think print runs and sales figures are a big factor. There's a reason 1938-45 is called the Golden Age. Comics sold like hot cakes in those years.

After the war, comics lost their footing, and never regained those consistently high figures.

I think that these early actions are even more hard to find since this post was started back in July. That's only 6 months. I have been looking for a book for about 6 weeks now. No luck. I am wondering, if I should looking into starting a Superman run instead.

If you're talking about ebay perchance, I've been finding the last month or two to be lousy in general for GA books, not just Actions. Hopefully it will pick up soon. Out of curiousity, which Actions are you looking for, & what grade/price range?

My goal is Action Comics #1 through #30 Plus some of the keys. Especially the Tank covers. #21 through #30 4.0 Keys a little higher grade. #1 through #202.0 to 3.0 all must be UNRESTORED I had #27 #28 and #29 but was forced to sell earlier this year. Now I am looking

Unrestored anything below # 60 is not easy at all.The place is littered with amature restoration.Why do you think they want to give restored books the blue label?

By the way,i do not believe cgcs claim that only 5 percent of all goldenage is restored.Go to any convention at all.There are purple labels all over the place.

By the way,i do not believe cgcs claim that only 5 percent of all goldenage is restored.Go to any convention at all.There are purple labels all over the place.

Remember, all Golden Age includes a lot of lower grade non-superhero books worth less than $100, especially if one uses the broadest definition of GA (up to 1955). A check of the CGC census reveals that the pricier a book, and the more of a key that it is, the greater the likelyhood of restoration. So 5% may indeed be low for 1938-1945 Actions, but sounds plausible when one considers all Golden Age books.

these Actions under #66 are getting tougher to find in almost any grade, unrestored, and complete. especially the war covers.

however, I think with most GA material it just take longer to aquire what you are looking for, you mentioned you have been looking for a book for 6 weeks, that's really not that long when your talking GA books, start thinking in terms of years, the issues I'm currently looking for I've only seen come up for sale (on eBay) 1-2 times per year..(which I got way outbid on each time),

people are always selling, you just have to wait longer than you might want to.

that's my experience anyway..

Alton- Superman 11,15,18 surely aren't that hard to find, no? I feel like I see these come up pretty often.

6 weeks looking is not long at all, true. If I had $1 for each decent copy of #39 I've seen in the last 6 years, I'd have $0.

true Matt, the Supermans do come up for sale more often, and because of that I've decided to try to get them in grades 6.5 or higher, which takes a little more time (and money), a little over a year ago I ordered a Superman #18 from Metro in 6.5, and it looked great ! on the outside,.. the inside front and back covers were tanning fairly badly, I lamented on whether to keep it or not, but ended up returning it... I'm not a high-grade snob by any means,. but it seems to me that each time I see a decent copy for sale, there's always some hidden defect usually page quality, that kills the deal for me....

now when it comes to the Actions, I'll take lower grades 3.0/4.0 but I still want nice pages, unrestored and complete...

so the #39 is a tough one to find in decent condition ?? I hadn't noticed that. I'll have to watch out for one of those for ya..

I agree most of the Superman issues tend to come up for sale more often than the Actions. I've certainly had the oportunity to purchase any issue of Superman I've wanted numerous times, though since I'm focusing on Actions, I haven't. Superman #4 seems to be EVERYWHERE. I've been thinking of wallpapering my room with it 27_laughing.gif True though, finding early Supermans in grades over 6.0 is certainly a collecting challenge and would be quite a run.

I also agree finding decent, unrestored Actions under #60 or so is difficult. Especically difficult is finding unrestored copies under issue #20. Waiting 6 weeks to find a copy? Which issue is it? I've been waiting years to find a few issues I'm looking for.

Your right Matt, I don't recall seeing Action 39 very often, and when I have its been lower grade.

Maybe the print runs were higher for Superman than Action? Or maybe collectors just aren't letting their copies go? Any other possibilities why Supermans seem more plentiful than Actions?

Yeah you're right most dealers seem to have a copy of Supes #4. I think Metro has 5 or 6 for example. I actually do like the cover a lot. I guess since its so readily available, I can wait for a great deal to come along.

Yeah you're right most dealers seem to have a copy of Supes #4. I think Metro has 5 or 6 for example. I actually do like the cover a lot. I guess since its so readily available, I can wait for a great deal to come along.

I feel the same way, it's like once I get all the hard to get stuff. then I can get the more common books..

I see alot of # 7 as well.