• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM-Restored ASM #1

35 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm taking the advice of a follow poster here who suggested I post my Restored ASM #1 here...

I've got several questions I hope you guys could help me with.

1. of course, in your opinion what is the grade.

and 2. whatever that grade is, how do I tell the value? how much does It being restored take away from the value?

Hypothetically lets say you guys agree its a 3.0 Restored....do I look up how much a universal 3.0's value is and then whatever that value is take like 50 to 60% off of mine for being restored?

Thank you guys SO MUCH for any and all advice you give

PS sorry I dont know why the pictures of the back came out upside down

20181203_172415.jpg

20181203_172424.jpg

20181203_172436.jpg

20181203_172444.jpg

20181203_172501.jpg

20181203_172511.jpg

20181203_172634.jpg

20181203_172641.jpg

20181203_172656.jpg

20181203_172704.jpg

20181203_172711.jpg

20181203_172718.jpg

20181203_172603.jpg

20181203_172536.jpg

20181203_172526.jpg

Edited by billbrown7080

I call this an apparent 2.5

The restoration appears to be amateur

The level of restoration appears to be extensive ( are the tears on the back sealed?)

Current value of a 2.5 Blue label unrestored:

2018  (14) $5,841 Hi  $3,300 Lo

I would put your book at about $1700 - $2500

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I call this an apparent 2.5

The restoration appears to be amateur

The level of restoration appears to be extensive ( are the tears on the back sealed?)

I would put your book at about $1700 - $2500

thank you so MUCH for the response...

do you think its worth sending to CGC? or do you think it would get "The Label of death" I've been hearing about?

also where did you find this-

It will get the purple label. But, unless you keep it forever, how can you sell it to someone else and describe it accurately? 

And a 2.5 R sold this year for $3300, so I actually think you’ll do better with the purple label than if you sell it as an unknown restored quantity. The lower grades take less of a hit than the higher ones. 

34 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

thank you so MUCH for the response...

do you think its worth sending to CGC? or do you think it would get "The Label of death" I've been hearing about?

also where did you find this-

the "label of death" is always possible when you are dealing with unknown restored books. Is the cover and all the interior pages original to the book then it will get a purple label. If the cover is married from another book , or if any interior pages are married from another book it will get the green label qualified.

The information came from GPA analysis.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/Default.asp

GPA is a website that collects the data from several different sources pertaining to the sale of CGC graded books. Very useful  but does cost a subscription. My opinion it is worth it but I am not sure you need it.

Do you grade it? Potentially. Your buyers will be more comfortable buying the book if they know what it really is.

Edited by Artboy99

It looks like moderate or heavy color touch and multiple reseals.

However, this book is still an investment worthy.  If I were you, I wanted the restoration removal.  It will drop few grades but the unrestored 1.0 to 2.0 copy can be sold between $1900 to $2400.

Keep it for at least 5 years.

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

It will get the purple label. But, unless you keep it forever, how can you sell it to someone else and describe it accurately? 

And a 2.5 R sold this year for $3300, so I actually think you’ll do better with the purple label than if you sell it as an unknown restored quantity. The lower grades take less of a hit than the higher ones.  

Thank you....

I know this will sound stupid to long time collectors like you guys...

But everything you guys are telling is stuff I needed to know.

I truly didnt know if I should send it to CGC, If it would hurt or help...I didnt know how much the Amateur Restoration effects it.

but between this thread and another thread I made, everyone seems to be in universal agreement If I'm looking to sell A Big Key issue, sending it out is a must to get the best value....again this is just something I did not fully understand until now

But The problem is, Now that I know that....I've probably got around 60 to 70 Big Time Keys that surely need to be sent out....and thats quite a bit of money....

Do you know if any of The Grading company do discounts if you sent them A bunch of Keys in bulk?

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:

It looks like moderate or heavy color touch and multiple reseals.

However, this book is still an investment worthy.  If I were you, I wanted the restoration removal.  It will drop few grades but the unrestored 1.0 to 2.0 copy can be sold between $1900 to $2400.

Keep it for at least 5 years.

but would collectors be able to tell that it was at one time restored and then had restoration removal?

or is it better to have even that, than a restored copy?

7 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

but would collectors be able to tell that it was at one time restored and then had restoration removal?

Maybe you can send it to CCS under CGC for the screen. They can tell you if it is removable or not. You will find it out about their price.

Probably it was restored few times.

11 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

I've probably got around 60 to 70 Big Time Keys that surely need to be sent out....and thats quite a bit of money....

I’m in the exact same boat. I’m selling off other books I wouldn’t CGC to pay for the grading. 

10 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

Removed resto is better than restoration, value wise. And CGC can screen your books to tell you whether it makes sense to remove the resto. I’ve sent them 4 books with resto. They were able to work with 2... the other two they deemed not removable, due to the degrading of the book. 

16 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

But The problem is, Now that I know that....I've probably got around 60 to 70 Big Time Keys that surely need to be sent out....and thats quite a bit of money....

just send out a couple of your better ones in the first batch and wait 3/4 months ,...(hopefully the TTA #27 is not color touched)

32 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

just send out a couple of your better ones in the first batch and wait 3/4 months ,...(hopefully the TTA #27 is not color touched)

nope, My Amazing SM #1 is my only Major KEY thats restored....

My TTA 27, Daredevil #1, SGT. Fury #1, Hulk 181, FF 48, TOS 52 are all without any restoration...I'd like to maybe send out those 6 to get started...

Or maybe My ASM #1 to 10(only #1 is restored).

I'd also like to send them out it sets,  like Send my Hulk 180,181 and 182

Or Fantastic Four 48,49 and 50........

or Hulk 181, Giant Sized X-Men #1 and X-Men 94....

I bet those might be easier to sell as a set if I got them sent out to be graded.....Or maybe not, Maybe the best way to sell them is individually to different people, Maybe selling them as a set to 1 person would result in them wanted a better deal.....lol I have no clue how to try and sell comics..lol

27 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

nope, My Amazing SM #1 is my only Major KEY thats restored....

My TTA 27, Daredevil #1, SGT. Fury #1, Hulk 181, FF 48, TOS 52 are all without any restoration...I'd like to maybe send out those 6 to get started...

Or maybe My ASM #1 to 10(only #1 is restored).

I'd also like to send them out it sets,  like Send my Hulk 180,181 and 182

Or Fantastic Four 48,49 and 50........

or Hulk 181, Giant Sized X-Men #1 and X-Men 94....

I bet those might be easier to sell as a set if I got them sent out to be graded.....Or maybe not, Maybe the best way to sell them is individually to different people, Maybe selling them as a set to 1 person would result in them wanted a better deal.....lol I have no clue how to try and sell comics..lol

IMHO, you should sell the keys individually.

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

You find out how much it's worth by how much someone is willing to pay for it. 

True but I wouldnt even know how to list it to try and sell it....

I dont know how to grade restored books and I dont know how much Restoration takes away from the value...

so If I wanted to try to sell it, I wouldnt even know where to start to advertise it?

do I claim its a 2.0 to 3.0 restored?

but then what kind of starting price do I put on it, I certainly cant ask what Overstreet lists for a regular 2.0 or 3.0? I need to know how much the restoration takes away from the value, If Oversteet lists a 3.0 as 2400.00....do I take 50% off My restored copy?

I get that the book's value is whatever someone will pay for it, But I just need some kind of starting point, I need some kind rough grade/value of the book to at least know where to start if I tried to sell it.

thanks for the reply though...

I'd definitely check to see if the resto can be removed. Five blue label 1.0 have sold in the last 90 days at an average of $3185, with $3150 the most recent this month. Looks to be quite a bit higher than any of the 3.0 restored versions and only 1 of those has sold in the last 90 days. (shrug)

Just now, Not A Clone said:

I'd definitely check to see if the resto can be removed. Five blue label 1.0 have sold in the last 90 days at an average of $3185, with $3150 the most recent this month. Looks to be quite a bit higher than any of the 3.0 restored versions and only 1 of those has sold in the last 90 days. (shrug)

So you think might might be higher than a 3.0?