• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a good deal?

8 posts in this topic

It looks nice, but because of the tanning I would NOT think this is a "File" copy. More likely one of the Harvey "warehouse" find books. The warehouse books are nice with notable gloss, but usually have some degree of tanning.

So, if this seller has been collecting mostly horror comics for 20 years he should be aware of this. His eagerness to pass it off as a "possible File copy" gives me cause to ponder..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

.....but yes, it is a very nice book and he is otherwise very forthcoming with lots of scans & who he got it from, etc.

I agree with Keith re: the warehouse find. Unfortunately, the term "file copy" and "warehouse find" are now being intermingled. But that has the earmarks of a warehouse book.

It looks nice but note, especially on the back cover where it is more obvious, the ink/oil transfer stain. It is huge and, judging from the way it looks from the outside back cover, may be a bit strong on the inside of the cover. I am betting the front cover will follow suit.

the rizzuto wheaties ad on the back makes it at least a $250 book!

looks nice, i could certainly see cgc giving it a 7.0, maybe better, given that they're not so harsh of 50 y.o. books

Is it worth the $75.00 or do you think I should bid more for it? It looks nice.

If the book is as advertised it is certainly worth the $75. But, how much more? Only you can decide. At least from my perspective. If you are really interested I would suggest you solicit more details from the sleller. Especially ask about the ink/oil tranbsfer stain. It manifests itself as a green "coating" on the inside of the covers. You can see it as an irregular greenish blob around most of the back cover. But the real thing is how deep it is on the inside of the covers. Since this book WAS part of the warehouse finds, there may be more out there that do not exhibit as much ink/oil transfer. But if such does not bother you (I am pretty tolerant of it) then it is worth pursuing. But I would not pay more than Overstreet for any pre-code horror excpet for a very few keys. And this one is not a key, just an apparantly nice example.

PS - I say "ink/oil transfer" because it USED to be called an "ink transfer stain". Apparantly, the terminaology has been changing and now I see "oil transfer stain". So I combine them into ink/oil transfer stain. Regardless of the word, the symptom is still the same. A light to sometimes very very deep green layer on the covers. While it is most prominent on the inside of the covers, it will also reduce the "pop" of the oustide covers, as it tends to reduce the intensity of the whites, the whites helpijng to make a book seem to "pop".)

Hope all that makes sense!