• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not a happy camper today.

59 posts in this topic

don't know if these guys got down on their hands and knee's with a magnifying glass or what, but they saw flaws in my book that I have never seen before.

i'm not sure you're completely cognisant of the grading process...didja think they'd flip it over in the mylar once or twice, then send it back?

post a scan of the book if you can

don't know if these guys got down on their hands and knee's with a magnifying glass or what, but they saw flaws in my book that I have never seen before.

i'm not sure you're completely cognisant of the grading process...didja think they'd flip it over in the mylar once or twice, then send it back?

Sal, you'll be waiting a while for the scan...see the Marketplace for his two FDQ threads. Basically, he's someone who probably bought these books back in the day, and hasn't realized that the grading standards have tightened considerably. He thinks that a book can be 9.4 with six spine stresses, but very defensive when people try to help. screwy.gif

Resend it.

I had a Comic Graded at 8.0 once. I know it was way higher then a 8.0, so sent it back in. Well suprise suprise it came back a 9.2.!!!

CGC is about as UN-trustworthy as you can get.

Really,

I can see a +/- 1 grade but 3 grades higher? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Resend it.

I had a Comic Graded at 8.0 once. I know it was way higher then a 8.0, so sent it back in. Well suprise suprise it came back a 9.2.!!!

Really,

Tell me about is frown.giffrown.gif

Sal, you'll be waiting a while for the scan...see the Marketplace for his two FDQ threads. Basically, he's someone who probably bought these books back in the day, and hasn't realized that the grading standards have tightened considerably. He thinks that a book can be 9.4 with six spine stresses, but very defensive when people try to help. screwy.gif

oh yeah, i'm aware of those threads. i was hoping maybe this time would be the one time he followed through on it

Resend it.

Well excuse me for asking.. but I suppose we are to take your word that your book magically went from a 8.0 to a 9.2 just because you said so?

Well color me skeptical.... and point me to the thread where you posted scans of the books if there are any already.

To make such a claim, and offer no proof , is all to easy to write off as false.

Sure your story might be perfectly legit.. but when you added your anti CGC statement.. well it makes your claim look a bit self serving.

Even board members who we know personally are still expected to offer up something other then just a story if they accuse somebody, or in this case CGC of being as you say.. "As Un Trustworthy as you can get"

I dont imagine CGC has muffed a few grades.. and many would come back +/- X grades apart.

But when 3 different sets of peepers take a look at a book. I cannot see how all three would arrive at 8.0 the first go around. And then 9.2 the next.

Please elaborate on your book if you would, I actually am very interested in your claim. But just leary of your intentions/position in making such a claim.

Ze-

Resend it.

Really,

Tell me about is frown.giffrown.gif

No disrespect meant but I forgot to add the yeahok.gif graemlin after "Really"

Well excuse me for asking..

First let me say, if i came off as rude in any way it was not my intentions.

No i do not think very highly of CGC, as a have had a few bad dealings with them. For all i know they may be a first rate company, and i have just been hit with a unbelievable run of bad luck.

The first was a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, a few years back, and it came back graded 3.0 with some restoration. I was not upset with the grade, or the restoration. I was however very upset with pen marks that somehow had been added to the cover. Pen marks that were not on the cover when it was shipped to CGC. The best way i can describe it was it looked like whoever graded it dropped a pen from their mouth and it hit the book. I over looked this one as "dumb luck"

More recently i sent off a issue of A.S.M #102. This was a high grade issue (IMO) It came back with a grade of 8.0. It also came back to me with two small dings, and a tear on the back cover. All of which were not on the book when it was shipped.

My problem with CGC is not the grades they give me. Grading is subject to opinion, my problem is my books seem to end up a bit damaged. you could say the damage was done to the 102 in the mail, but the pen marks on the cover of the #15 are another story. Imagine if this A.F #15 was a higher grade.

The book i was refering to was a copy of A.S.M (1st series) #36. I had it graded, and it came back what i thought was low, but grading as i said is subject to opinion. About a year later it was sent back, and came back with a much higher grade. Only thing i can figure is someone the 2nd time missed something from the 1st time around.

I am not alone in my worries of CGC. This past weekend at Comic-Com i found a few others who were afraid to let CGC handle their high grades. One guy had very high grade copies of Marvel Boy he wanted graded, but was to afraid to "risk it"

Despite all this bad luck, i will still use CGC in the future. Hopefully my luck will turn around tonofbricks.gif

don't worry, if fraud-boy Joel109 comes on here again into this thread, it will be to defend himself with some lame excuse about how he CAN'T post a large high res scan or why he can't give you the serial number to call for grader's notes. Maybe everyone here is mean, but it'd be pretty simple to exhonorate himself.

don't worry, if fraud-boy Joel109 comes on here again into this thread, it will be to defend himself with some lame excuse about how he CAN'T post a large high res scan or why he can't give you the serial number to call for grader's notes. Maybe everyone here is mean, but it'd be pretty simple to exhonorate himself.

How do you post high res scans online?

Everything i scan has to be cut down or i get a message telling me the pic is too large.........

Wow Foolkiller...that seems a little harsh! From what I've read here it seems to me that this poor guy suffers from bad and/or delusional grading skills and a serious lack of common sense when it comes to buying expensive books on eBay. I think he is simply another example of a large majority of the eBay comic book buying and selling community who are basically honest but fall into one of three categories:

1) People who have never heard of Overstreet grading guidelines

2) People who are familiar with Overstreet guidelines but are just really bad graders

3) People who are familiar with Overstreet guidelines but have extremely poor eyesight

It was all a hoax by ZeMan crazy.gif

No it wasn't.... gossip.gif

My hoax was indeed a hoax.. flowerred.gif

blush.gif I'm lost foreheadslap.gif