• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book do you regret getting slabbed?
2 2

66 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think my first sub was only 1 book a New mutants #98 came back a 7.0... I'll likely keep that book forever... it only cost $152 purchasing the book and grading, but I only sent in the one at a time doh! so I didn't cut down on costs... I probably could have made a $20-30 profit there for a while, but it was my first ever!!!

2nd sub was a FF #48 and something else pre-1975, so I only sent in 2 books, didn't learn my lesson. lol 

#48 came back 3.5

And I thought, at the time, that was EXPENSIVE!!! 

I haven't got much better to be honest, it's only 15 book modern subs, and 6-8 book pre1975... make hay while the sun shines (thumbsu

I'm fairly new to this as well and I think it important to use this forum for knowledge and entertainment above all, hence the topic :whistle:.  This collecting obsession almost all of us share is for personal enjoyment almost more than anything.  Yes profitability plays a role BUT getting a Nightwatch #1 slabbed because it was the first comic you bought on the turn-rack at your local Walgreens is the heart of it.

Edited by sagekilz

1 minute ago, sagekilz said:

I'm fairly new to this as well and I think it important to use this forum for knowledge and entertainment.  This collecting obsession almost all of us share is for personal enjoyment almost more than anything.  Yes profitability plays a role BUT getting a Nightwatch #1 slabbed because it was the first comic you bought on the turn-rack at your local Walgreens is the heart of it.

I hear you :foryou:

I have other wanna be keys that are similar only because of the grade they came back, such as mad love cgc 7.0 etc. And other books that are questionable like Batman adventures annual 1 that came back 9.6.

I'd be more concerned with grade though, I would never want to imply what I grade rules and what others do stinks. Even if you have a high grade the shroud #1, more power to you!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hear you :foryou:

I have other wanna be keys that are similar only because of the grade they came back, such as mad love cgc 7.0 etc. And other books that are questionable like Batman adventures annual 1 that came back 9.6.

I'd be more concerned with grade though, I would never want to imply what I grade rules and what others do stinks. Even if you have a high grade the shroud #1, more power to you!

Personally, the CGC experience is figuratively filled with excitement because of the unknown; I love it, can't get enough of it, and consider getting freaking comic books professionally graded genuinely fun.  Not taking X-Factor #5 too seriously and getting heartburn because it's a 9.6 instead of a 9.8 is missing the point of why we do this.  This is supposed to be fun (somewhat of course because this is a business to some) and it stands to reason that we'll make mistakes on submissions but that's life!

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think my first sub was only 1 book a New mutants #98 came back a 7.0... I'll likely keep that book forever... it only cost $152 purchasing the book and grading, but I only sent in the one at a time doh! so I didn't cut down on costs... I probably could have made a $20-30 profit there for a while, but it was my first ever!!!

2nd sub was a FF #48 and something else pre-1975, so I only sent in 2 books, didn't learn my lesson. lol 

#48 came back 3.5

And I thought, at the time, that was EXPENSIVE!!! 

I haven't got much better to be honest, it's only 15 book modern subs, and 6-8 book pre1975... make hay while the sun shines (thumbsu

A lot of my books are 1-2 book submissions because they're signed and the creator signing periods are all over the calendar.  Sometimes there's just no way around it.  :(

Just now, ExNihilo said:

A lot of my books are 1-2 book submissions because they're signed and the creator signing periods are all over the calendar.  Sometimes there's just no way around it.  :(

Oh I forgot to mention those lol

My yellow label are usually 1-2 books at a time too (thumbsu and not even the same artist or creator.... I try to do 2 at a con and have spending money still

It's all in good fun!

I'm mainly saying that with the cost to grade, the more you do at a time the less the shipping when divided among more books...

Sorry if that was lost in the shuffle... and I won't call the actual books regrets, only the process in which I subbed them...

Yellow label excluded...

First let me say that I love this book and would be hard pressed to let it go, but when I sent in a  box full of books to get graded, I mistakenly sent this book in. I had several copies and wanted to sell one after having it slabbed, but mixed them up and this one ended up in the box. To be fair I had missed the small spec of tape on the BC anyway, but hey. I often wonder what it would come back as if I have the spec of tape removed....

SUB1.thumb.jpg.2d653466a7c82400ccdf47ad4be358ac.jpg

14 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

First let me say that I love this book and would be hard pressed to let it go, but when I sent in a  box full of books to get graded, I mistakenly sent this book in. I had several copies and wanted to sell one after having it slabbed, but mixed them up and this one ended up in the box. To be fair I had missed the small spec of tape on the BC anyway, but hey. I often wonder what it would come back as if I have the spec of tape removed....

SUB1.thumb.jpg.2d653466a7c82400ccdf47ad4be358ac.jpg

I think it's safe to assume that every single one of us has a slabbed book that's not necessarily worthless, but not as valuable as others, and regardless of grade, we'll treasure it over almost anything else!   

I've seen more than one toy dealer at shows who sent in mid-grade, non-key Silver Age books to get graded because they thought that's just what you do. So you have this table full of Funko Pops and action figures and Star Wars stuff and then a couple of random mid-300s Action Comics in 3.5. They all realize that they're not valuable -- but also know that nobody is going to buy them for the cost of the grading.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:59 PM, newshane said:

I "wasted" quite a bit of money in the early days. Had no idea how to grade and my expectations were way off. As a result, I ended up with a lot of turds. 

I chalk it up as a learning experience. Can't say I regret it though. Inspired me to improve my skills! 

My answer kinda lines up with the above. Basically I regret having anything I’ve ever submitted slabbed. My grading was so bad when I got back into the hobby I was generally about 14 grades off.  

BUT, I’ve sinced learned a lot because of my initial “slab-mania.”  even now my collecting is evolving. I really buy to read. If it’s a big key, I try to buy from trusted seller who has already slabbed it. 

Wish I could find my initial “reaction” post to my first batch of books coming back from CGC.  Pretty funny stuff. 

Oh yeah, don’t buy from St Marks Comics in NYC. Owner ripped me off hard when I was green and eager jumping back in hobby. You wanna talk about some S H I I T Y grading? What he called a 9.4 CGC called a 3.5. Honestly. The book was Xmen #100. Seems so short sighted on the owner’s part. Been there since with a pocket of cash. I mean some serious dough. “You wanna look at something on the wall?”

No.  No, I don’t. 

Edited by NoMan

Here is another piece of advice for noobs - always pay attention to the back cover! 

Sounds like common sense, but in my case it was not! lol 

1 minute ago, Schmakt said:

And the inside covers... :-/

Yep. One of the first comics I ever had slabbed was an X-men 16 (60s) that looked like it was in fine condition. My parents bought it for me as a gift years ago from the LCS. None of us bothered to notice the big water stain on the back cover. :(

I never wanted to take it out of the bag because I thought it was worth big money! lol 

21 hours ago, Pirate said:

I'm get tired of looking on facebook and see the books that people are getting back.  No wonder TAT's are slow.  Seems most of the flows through voldy, but my god there are bad bad bad books out there.  

Agree re: TAT’s.  People complaining about slow TAT’s all the time.  Quit sending in junk and clogging up the pipelines.

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Thanks, I guess. :p

EDIT: Just read the whole thing. What a blast from the past. Not only an education in grading but an equal education in who's who around here. Who's cool enough to want to meet in person, who to follow, who to trust to purchase from, who to ignore, etc 

And two years on I was pretty much dead on about it.

Edited by NoMan

The greatest thing that third party grading did...faults and all...was strike a deathblow to the mass delusion that existed in the comics industry. No longer would buyers have to deal with sellers suffering from the delusion that their books were "MINT CONDITION!!!" Of course, that also applied to submitters who likewise had their "MINT CONDITION!!!" books come back 6.5.

It was very good for the entire industry, because, through free market forces alone (the only way it works), it made everyone tighten up. Even receiving dud books is a lesson. 

Anyone who tells you that third party grading as a concept is bad and not to be trusted...? That person is lying to you, and almost certainly to themselves.

Remember: the goal is always to be able to agree with, rather than blindly accept, the number in the upper left hand corner. When you can do that, nobody can take advantage of you, and you can make smart, informed decisions in relation to your collectibles.

Don't have pictures but my 1st submission was 3 books. Two came back PLOD and lesser grades than thought on top of it. Lesson learned on looking for those things... I have never submitted again, just buy them at times. 

22 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree re: TAT’s.  People complaining about slow TAT’s all the time.  Quit sending in junk and clogging up the pipelines.

Yes, but that could be alleviated by hiring more qualified graders.  As the business grows it has to keep up with the demand. 

I have many books that I would like to get graded, but not having them for almost 6 months (pressing and grading) bothers me.