• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Theo Holstein Superman #1 on ebay

85 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

most of his sales are person to person such as the complete mad story sales....

You and I can attest to this, but many folks here see preduction ads on eBay and come away thinking loony tunes.  Granted, his style turns a lot of collectors off, but you gotta admit, it does grab attention.

Since his targeted demographic is mostly outside the comic collector market it's impossible to assess the overall impact of his advertising.

On 12/21/2018 at 11:40 AM, pemart1966 said:

Do we assume that the "Marvel Mystery Comics 1 Labelled Number 2" is the November version or is there a version that is actually labelled #2?????  :o

I'm pretty sure this was the issue he was referencing in his ad:

f4f1ef69-b1e5-4c23-86e1-cd4ac7bb54b5_zps

I kinda like the notion of the FIRST issue of Marvel Mystery Comics being on par value-wise with Marvel Comics. :idea:

56 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I kinda like the notion of the FIRST issue of Marvel Mystery Comics being on par value-wise with Marvel Comics. :idea:

that is what he was referring to....there have been a lot of under the table sales by him and a lot good stuff  bought and sold, for sure he has the best barks oil collection out there, I know he recently won the portrait with all the ducks from a Ha animation  art sale and he recently sold the CB oil looking in the window.

23 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

OK, so maybe I translated his meaning a little wrong...but this is a weird statement, "Not interested in paying top dollars for unrestored Superman 1 or Action 1 Because they all need to [be] conserved and restored to protect the[m] from decaying into dust."

So, in a sense he IS saying restored and conserved are better, because unrestored are going to decay into dust...

I get the part about not wanting to pay top dollar for unrestored...but to say ALL books need to be conserved or restored is not true...

I don't think he said restoration is "better"; his words indicate he's saying it's "inevitable."   I can't imagine anyone saying a book should be restored before it needs "conservation".  But if no books are treated there will come a time when there's simply none left or at the very least only copies which are encased in special slabs with inert gases and kept in cold storage.  

I've heard a number of fans say that they worry the abhorence of restoration is so extreme that it prevents people from making efforts to conserve books that need it.   

I spoke with a guy some years back about some major keys I had with brittle pages.   He described the book as having "cancer" and said I "can't" treat the pages because restoration is forbidden.  I countered that when a body has a treatable cancer, nobody ever says you "can't" treat it.  But I got his point.  Which was basically that the market is effed up and he didn't know how to sell something unless it fit very neatly into the parameters of the moment, and at that moment the CW was that restoration was considered a worse sin than allowing something to crumble to dust. 

22 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Theo is consistent.  He's been quoted in the press saying that Superman 1 was in his opinion the biggest book in the hobby for years.  Made me wonder if he had a high grade copy tucked away.  I still wonder, because this may not be his best copy.

The first comic with all original material about a fictional character?   Nope.  Clancy the Cop, 1930.   First superhero comic book in solo title?   Nope.  Popeye, 1931.    Yeah, I know those are debatable on many fronts.   But some of the hyperbole about Superman 1 gets a bit over the top.  

22 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

As of 2 years ago he does not have a better copy.. the last one he bought was from HA which was a 5.0 unrestored for around 72k and then sold that copy on C-link for 100k  or so to buy some barks paintings including one for over 200k of Scrooge jumping in the money from ha.com

however I can tell you from day one there were two books besides Superman 1 that are his all time favorites....one is Cap 1 and second is tales of terror annual #1 which had limited distribution. He has always liked Superman 1 better than action 1....his theory is that Superman one contains action 1 plus the separate origin... he has a point... my self I like them both but prefer action 1...

as far as cover less copies they have been trashed for years until they began to be broken up for pages making them even more difficult to obtain... Action 1 and Tech 27 and Superman 1 cover less still are great buys despite the word getting out.

it might be interesting to see if an unrestored coverless copy could overtake as some point a heavily restored copy in the future....time will tell

That would be absolutely nuts.  Which means it will probably happen.

6 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

An auction house once told me about a non-paying bidder. Obviously they couldn't mention the person's name, but "It rhymes with B.O. Molstein."

I am going to need to feed that into the bat computer and see if it can decipher this riddle hm

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

An auction house once told me about a non-paying bidder. Obviously they couldn't mention the person's name, but "It rhymes with B.O. Molstein."

I've heard that too, but then I've also heard tell of an auction house that rhymes with laughter accused in the past of using shills to push client hammer prices.  

No one's perfect, but I guess the moral of this story is that an impressively large footprint makes it easier to step over critics.

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

D'OH doh!  ....thanks for clarifying.

I notice how highly thought of Tough Kid Squad was but it's not one you really hear about much now.  What happened to cause its fall from its former lofty perch?