• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC 52 Big Pages (later 48) 25 cent appreciation club
4 4

151 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, Silver said:

I forget where I read it but I once read an article that said something like these 25 cent books were a disaster for DC. They were locked into some kind of deal that they had to produce them for a year or so. Meanwhile, rival Marvel still had 15 cents books on the stands. I think this is when Marvel overtook DC in sales. I believe they both ended up go to 20 cents around the same time. I personally love the 52 pages, they were some of my favorite in my early collecting years due to the reprint material in them. I have all of the Superman titles, Brave and the Bold, Forever People, Tarzan, etc. I love the heft of the books as well as the extra stuff they threw in to fill them up. 

Correct. It's been well documented in Twomorrows publications, blogs, and various books the past 20 years.   I first learned of it in the mid 1990's reading: The Comic Book Heroes: The First History of Modern Comic Books - From the Silver Age to the Present by Gerard Jones , Will Jacobs

The maneuver was pretty much the coup de gras in Marvel taking over the leader spot in the industry.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/1/2019 at 4:35 AM, billbrown7080 said:

I just went through My Batman,Detective,Superman,Action,Adventure,Flash,and Justice League last week and Pulled all the Big 52 and Giant Size 80 Pagers ...

I have Almost 2 boxes full of these...

when I first went through my comics years ago, There was no notable increase in value between these books and others...but 2 weeks ago I went through a new guide and Nearly all of them JUMP in value 25% to 30% from the previous book...

I wouldnt call them KEYS, but there certainly seems to be a market for them...

I havent got mine graded yet, but I couldnt believe how many I found...

I also have a very hard time trying to grade these books because they are so much thicker, sometime the spine looks weird and I dont know if thats damage or just normal...

I see several books in your sigline I would be willing to take off your hands if you dont want em!  I'll pay shiping too!

Screenshot 2021-10-19 6.07.57 PM.png

"Old School" slabbed Kirby and Cardy covered 52pgs.  Both purchased raw in 1998 and slabbed around 2001.  I picked up a bunch of Oakland's in August 1998, less than 2 weeks prior to them being made "publicly available", but the Forever People 8 was not one of them.

1737643077_ForeverPeople_8.thumb.jpg.ad91c2cf373e59f524826bcc7d5af7ea.jpgAction409.thumb.jpg.1d4ef1b96bfcb985008c40cfd5dcf414.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/19/2021 at 6:41 PM, MAR1979 said:

"Old School" slabbed Kirby and Cardy covered 52pgs.  Both purchased raw in 1998 and slabbed around 2001.  I picked up a bunch of Oakland's in August 1998, less than 2 weeks prior to them being made "publicly available", but the Forever People 8 was not one of them.

Action409.thumb.jpg.1d4ef1b96bfcb985008c40cfd5dcf414.jpg

One of my favorite superman stories and great swanderson art.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:30 PM, MAR1979 said:

Correct. It's been well documented in Twomorrows publications, blogs, and various books the past 20 years.   I first learned of it in the mid 1990's reading: The Comic Book Heroes: The First History of Modern Comic Books - From the Silver Age to the Present by Gerard Jones , Will Jacobs

The maneuver was pretty much the coup de gras in Marvel taking over the leader spot in the industry.

Also, this thread title gets it slightly wrong-- the first books said 48 pages, and soon thereafter the wording was changed to 52 pages.  Exact same package.  They just decided to start counting the covers in the page total!  Like us 9-year-olds were going to do the math to compare the $$/page ratio between DC and Marvel before making the purchase!  :bigsmile: