• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So are no grade the standard on Raw books on ebay now
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, fastballspecial said:

With this large influx of new sellers it seems assigning a grade is
becoming less and less. Is it now the buyers responsibility to figure
out the grade from pics?

Unless you're looking at items by an established seller, someone known in the hobby for tight grading, what does the grade matter in an ebay listing?  How often does a seller grade a book NM, and even if the images are blurred and small, it's obvious that it's no better than FN? Unless I'm looking at Leroy's, Peter's, Bob's, Mark's, Roy's, or other of whom I know to be tight graders, I put deciding the validity of the actual grade on the images, not the seller's grade. And if those images are lacking in compass or detail, I ignore the listing altogether, because the guys grading close to snuff are using images where flaws can be seen and they're not trying to obscure them.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, fastballspecial said:

becoming less and less. Is it now the buyers responsibility to figure
out the grade from pics?

Unless you're looking at items by an established seller, someone known in the hobby for tight grading, what does the grade matter in an ebay listing?  How often does a seller grade a book NM, and even if the images are blurred and small, it's obvious that it's no better than FN? Unless I'm looking at Leroy's, Peter's, Bob's, Mark's, Roy's, or other of whom I know to be tight graders, I put deciding the validity of the actual grade on the images, not the seller's grade. And if those images are lacking in compass or detail, I ignore the listing altogether, because the guys grading close to snuff are using images where flaws can be seen and they're not trying to obscure them.

So to sum up that paragraph, you are saying the seller doesn't have to list a grade that its the buyer's responsibility to figure it out?

The grade/description matters because the seller has the book in hand. He can see NBCs that scans won't show, they can see light water stains that scans wont show. He can tell if the book has as waviness to it that a scan wont show indicating potential moisture issue. He can tell if a book smells.(Yes there are collectors who are particular on smells on a book especially cigarettes.)

Telling a person to judge by the scan is cop out. I want NM money, but I don't want to say its NM. I think the buyer should decide is both lazy and ridiculous and will eventually hurt the seller in this current market.

I will freely admit occasionally I miss thing as hard as I try not to, but at least I put forth the effort. 

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

So to sum up that paragraph, you are saying the seller doesn't have to list a grade that its the buyer's responsibility to figure it out?

The grade/description matters because the seller has the book in hand. He can see NBCs that scans won't show, they can see light water stains that scans wont show. He can tell if the book has as waviness to it that a scan wont show indicating potential moisture issue. He can tell if a book smells.(Yes there are collectors who are particular on smells on a book especially cigarettes.)

Telling a person to judge by the scan is cop out. I want NM money, but I don't want to say its NM. I think the buyer should decide is both lazy and ridiculous and will eventually hurt the seller in this current market.

I will freely admit occasionally I miss thing as hard as I try not to, but at least I put forth the effort. 

In a perfect world. a perfect website. a perfect seller should and would have to grade a raw comic to be considered credible. But what are we talking about here? Ebay. Think about it. 30% of the sellers use superlatives in lieu of committing to an actual grade for the buyer, like "LOOK", "Beautiful", "Perfect", "WOW!", "Nice!", and so forth. 30% do use a standard comic grade, NM, VF, VG, etc., but anyone who can grade quickly realizes that the seller is unintentionally negligent at best once they view the images that correspond to those grades. 30% don't use a grade or a superlative, just calling attention to the pictures and stating, "Judge the grade for yourself; here's plenty of pictures, I'm not a professional grader". And maybe 10%, guys like Bob, Leroy, and others who make up that 10% who grade well and consistently make up the balance.

Now, of course, that 10% should be the rule in business rather than the exception, but remember, if we're talking about ebay, they are the rarity. I never stated what's right and wrong. I state what is. If you buy raw on ebay, the paragraph above is the rule, right or wrong.

Edited by James J Johnson

On 12/23/2018 at 11:01 PM, kav said:

I'm all for calling out defects meticulously.  I've had no issues doing this.  Calling out defects and assigning grades-headache city.

I usually do store items and when I run auctions they are not 99 centers. I basically start within 10-20% of the lowest best offer I would take. I kind of feel like I need to give a grade for there to be any rhyme or reason for the stated price. In the past I have sometimes generalized with high, mid, and low grade... High being 8.0 or better, mid from 4.5 - 7.5, low up to 4. I do appreciate when a high feedback seller tries to give a grade. It does help guide bidding, although scans are the main factor.

In the last couple years I have sold at least 100 books on ebay.  I am not a dealer, but I have come into a couple people who were looking to sell a few boxes of books.  I have never had one return.  After hearing some of the stories, I feel lucky.  I usually give a front and back scan, and center pic.  I also assign a grade and describe the flaws..  If it is a multiple book lot, I will put something like "solid mid grade books" in the title.  If a buyer is into high graders, I don't want to waste their time. 

I do agree on the pics are better than the estimated grade, though.  I just think that if there are good pics, and an estimated grade, I can get a quick determination of the sellers honesty and/or grading ability. 

I will not buy from a seller on eBay who doesn’t describe and assign a grade to a book. Very hard to tell grades strictly from pictures. I describe grades and list any defects I see on all raw books I sell. Only had a handful of returns or partial refunds requested with over a thousand sales. I use overstreet guidelines and also the experience I’ve gotten from submitting books to cgc. Most buyers are familiar with grading. I’ve made mistakes and have maybe overgraded from time to time. I try to undergrade so buyer is usually happy with conditon. 

2 hours ago, MadGenius said:

Buy from me on eBay. I always assign grades and have never had a return because someone disagreed with the grade.

I always assign grades too. Whenever I miss something (usually on the inside of the book), if it's a lower-priced item, I'll just refund their money and let them keep it.

Had to laugh recently... a guy lit into me after buying a 12-book lot of Captain America's I sold on a BIN. (this is one of the few I didn't put each book up for view)

I may have goofed on the grading... not sure, since I didn't take individual shots. But his message didn't start with a "Hey, I think you made some errors here..." I think the first sentence was "Seriously? Is this a joke?" He tore into me for almost every book, and then complained about the shipping charge, which was right there on the page (Priority Mail, $7.50).

So I said he could keep the books, and refunded him back the full amount, including shipping...

...$19.50. :roflmao:Dude, get a life. ;)

On 12/24/2018 at 3:57 PM, fastballspecial said:

This.