• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So are no grade the standard on Raw books on ebay now
1 1

31 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

With this large influx of new sellers it seems assigning a grade is
becoming less and less. Is it now the buyers responsibility to figure
out the grade from pics?

Yeah, pretty much. Most sellers are afraid or unable to grade correctly. Seems no matter what grade you put on it (unless you vastly undergrade) you get an unhappy buyer. Buyers on the bay are looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that they can press and flip for a quick profit. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. Lot of sellers run into books at estate sales, garage sales ect and are not familiar with grading.

I don't put a grade anymore on the very few times I list comics for sale. I take a lot of detailed pictures and offer a very detailed description of the pluses and minus's. I also have a very fair return policy. Only returns I have ever had were buyer's remourse situations where people didn't read the descriptions. A listing like this is usually enough to me as a buyer, to figure what I want to bid. I never buy raw high grade books on the bay. If I want high grade, I buy slabbed copies. I recently got a cool book with the centerfold out from a fairly well known comic book seller that should have known better. Got a lot of attitude when I asked for a refund.

Ebay is a jungle for both buyers and sellers these days and I don't use it much anymore.

5 hours ago, comicjack said:

I love the posting not a professional grading so i'm leaving it up to you.That takes all the burden off the seller so sucker beware when buying my junk lol

Yeah that :censored: me off too. The seller has no problem asking for top dollar though. I could agree with it more if his price was 40% less. Because they aren't a professional grader, but it isn't they think they deserve the same amount. If you cant grade a book then don't ask a NM price. 

Edited by fastballspecial

It's not like you could trust the grade they put on it anyway so...

Just recently purchased a book listed as VGD+. When I got it, the book was in a bag with the seller's own branded price tag that had GD/VGD written as the grade. I went by what I saw in the pictures.

Also, it is impossible to accurately grade from scans alone. You need the book in-hand. So "look at the scans and determine the grade" is a load of hogwash. 

No one wants to assign a grade because buyers have all the power and if they disagree sellers get shafted. I won’t touch eBay for selling. I don’t blame anyone for saying not professional grader or judge by the pictures because if they assign a grade they are setting themselves up for problems 

Even if you were a professional grader and listed completely accurate grades PEOPLE WOULD STILL DISAGREE AND LEAVE BAD FEEDBACK!!

It doesnt pay to assign grades.  Ok MCS does but they way undergrade.  You can do that if you want. 

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, kav said:

Even if you were a professional grader and listed completely accurate grades PEOPLE WOULD STILL DISAGREE AND LEAVE BAD FEEDBACK!!

It doesnt pay to assign grades.  Ok MCS does but they way undergrade.  You can do that if you want. 

Exactly. I just don’t want to deal with people like that. As a matter of fact, when I sell comics, I do it mostly here. Never had a return or problem and I don’t post grades. 

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Exactly. I just don’t want to deal with people like that. As a matter of fact, when I sell comics, I do it mostly here. Never had a return or problem and I don’t post grades. 

when i first started on ebay and didnt know much about comics-here's how dumb I was-I would sell like ASM 23-28.  I would post ONE pic, of the books overlapping, on my scanner.  Listed grades.  Didnt know anything about grading.  Just figgered everything was VF.  Oh what mistakes I made.  Do you know how much money I left on the table by listing valuable books with virtually no pics?  People assumed I was hiding stuff and didnt bid.  Many folks got the steals of a lifetime....

I think not assigning some grade or at least calling out defects will lead to more returns. As said, scans don’t tell the whole story (nor do fuzzy pictures) which has bidders assuming or hoping for grade X and returning or asking for a partial refund when the comic is in hand and doesn’t align with assumptions. 

36 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I think not assigning some grade or at least calling out defects will lead to more returns. As said, scans don’t tell the whole story (nor do fuzzy pictures) which has bidders assuming or hoping for grade X and returning or asking for a partial refund when the comic is in hand and doesn’t align with assumptions. 

Nobody EVER gets a “partial refund” from me. I know that game all to well. Return and full refund or nothing. Most of the time when I offer it, the buyer decides to keep it. 

55 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I'm all for calling out defects meticulously.  I've had no issues doing this.  Calling out defects and assigning grades-headache city.