• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAKE??
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Seems like an after-market comic book seller who has fallen into something from a lot he got and he can't quite figure out, and doesn't want to take the trouble, or is unable, to verify authenticity.  Experts needed here.  Not me, David

Not sure whats going on with this piece, but I did do some research on the John Romita Sr. Punisher sketch and a couple of the JrJr sketches. The seller claims he purchased the art from John Romita's grandson, Matt, which is why lots of the art is personalized to him. This was later confirmed with John Romita Jr, it's a very long story involving Matt, but I won't get into it because its very personal. JrJr's art rep is confident the sketches I showed him are real, and the story behind them checks out. On the other hand, I never did show him this art, I doubt John actually illustrated that piece, looks way too sloppy. Recently, I did come across this other Punisher sketch from John, the two poses are almost identical which is a bit strange. I showed it to Mike Burkey and JrJr's art rep and haven't heard back from them. I still believe the Punisher by Sr, and the Electro and Doom by JrJr are real. Not sure about the rest. Also, it doesn't make sense to personalize a fake sketch, as it'll only decrease the value.

punisher.thumb.jpg.e1ecf266d0037eddba162b2d404715b0.jpgpunisher2.thumb.jpg.159b2aedd8aaeeafe872c3051927a8f8.jpg

On 12/27/2018 at 11:31 AM, zhamlau said:

is it possible that it was a prelim?

I recently thought of that too. JrJr's art rep is confident the sketches I showed him are real, and JrJr confirmed the story behind them checks out, so its weird that he'd have one piece of art that isn't real. I also received the JrJr Electro sketch from that seller yesterday, although the packaging could have been much better, the art is definitely real and not a print. I think it could be possible that it's just a rough copy of the cover, but I never did ask around about this piece, just the sketches for sale. 

These early auctions were all real..... Wolverine real by Romita Sr........Punisher by Romita Sr...real........and the border piece was a prelim to the finished piece i used to own.......Drawn on Marvel cover stock board from the 1980s..and real drawn art in pencil and marker........i'm not 100% sure who drew this...........My guess is Romita Jr. did this border art prelim since seller was his Romita Jr's son. The finished cover was definitely Romita Sr as i bought it from Mitch in the early 1990s.

The guy is NOW selling prints of the originals he sold...... which are all not real obviously.....

Edited by romitaman

16 hours ago, aokartman said:

The seller is now selling copies for $50?  Strange.  But, I guess it's no different than selling facsimile covers for old comic books.

It's also a violation of copyright law. The only one who can legally do that is the holder of the copyright--the person who drew it, unless ithe copyright was sold or otherwise transferred to someone different.

Same with facsimile covers, but the company which published it may also have copyright ownership rights in it as well.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:33 AM, Rick2you2 said:

It's also a violation of copyright law. The only one who can legally do that is the holder of the copyright--the person who drew it, unless ithe copyright was sold or otherwise transferred to someone different.

Same with facsimile covers, but the company which published it may also have copyright ownership rights in it as well.

Didn't realize that he was now selling copies of the originals. Thought that the pieces were sent back. Still something is so odd with the bordered marvel universe. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.