• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM FF29

15 posts in this topic

Extremely nice looking book. Corners appear to be square and the only small blemish appears to be an imprint or dent on the back cover just across from "John Busketta" in the third last paragraph. If there are no other hidden flaws or damages....

Spoiler

9.4 IMHO

Wow, this is a beautiful book. Looks like there are some spine stresses. With a press and clean, if those slights dents could be taken out and if it has no other hidden defects, 9.0+.

I just got a batch of mid silver age books back and a lot of them got 8.5-9.2 and look very similar in quality and defects to your FF29 here. I think over the past year or two, it seems the grading has gotten more harsh at CGC. 

2 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Wow, this is a beautiful book. Looks like there are some spine stresses. With a press and clean, if those slights dents could be taken out and if it has no other hidden defects, 9.0+.

I just got a batch of mid silver age books back and a lot of them got 8.5-9.2 and look very similar in quality and defects to your FF29 here. I think over the past year or two, it seems the grading has gotten more harsh at CGC. 

Yes, I think it will do well, too bad it's not a key book...

On 12/24/2018 at 9:37 AM, Karl Liebl said:

I am hoping to beat Bomber Bob with it but I bet he has it in 9.8!  He holds his cards close...

You win on this one.  (worship)   I no longer have a copy of this issue. For some reason, I rarely see this issue in high grade. I think you have a solid 9.2 here, maybe better. Looks like it may have White Page quality also, very fresh loooking. Great book, congrats !

What a gorgeous book. Wouldn't be surprised seeing this book in a 9.2 or 9.4 case and I wouldn't disagree with either grade. There isn't enough spine stress IMO to drop it to 9.2 but there is that impression on the bc although it doesn't appear to break color and is quite small. Tough one. In the spirit of taking a stand and making a decision I think it really deserves a 9.4.

14 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

What a gorgeous book. Wouldn't be surprised seeing this book in a 9.2 or 9.4 case and I wouldn't disagree with either grade. There isn't enough spine stress IMO to drop it to 9.2 but there is that impression on the bc although it doesn't appear to break color and is quite small. Tough one. In the spirit of taking a stand and making a decision I think it really deserves a 9.4.

The dent will come out with a press.  I know some guys here really don't like pressed books but then you have the flip side as well - people lamenting not pressing their books before slabbing.  I guess it comes down to a matter of personal taste and I have been very happy with my pressed books.

I'd press it with no hesitation. This is your collection and it's also your nest egg/portfolio/investment. The difference in $$$ between a 9.0 and 9.2 could be sizable. As long as any pressing is disclosed at the time of any sale it's your book and if you want to press/clean then you should.