• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Thor #165

11 posts in this topic

Any Input would be Great!

there is a tiny stain on the back cover in the upper left corner...It does not show on the other side of the cover or any on the pages...

If you dont mind could you give me a grade on what this book would be without that tiny stain and ultimately what it is with the stain?

Just trying to gauge what kind of effect that kinda of stain has on a comic...

thanks

1545644475818-01253801-2428-434f-83a8-a68cb19cdd9c_.jpg

1545644547676-1174efad-def7-42f1-a00b-c3858a556d33_.jpg

1545644357289-b0ff152e-c1bc-44ad-a783-6bbe0a6eba83_.jpg

20181224_044308.jpg

20181224_044319.jpg

20181224_044330.jpg

20181224_044337.jpg

20181224_044350.jpg

20181224_044422.jpg

Edited by billbrown7080

IMO with or without the "minor" corner stain the book grades at a...

FN/VF 7.0

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

The back cover also looks a bit dirty with what appears to be some light foxing...7.5?

I just looked at the back cover again...

there may be the slightest of foxing but overall it looks good, I think it may be the pictures....I'm gonna take a better pic of the back and post itand if you could give me your opinion again that would be great...

look's like slight foxing ......minor foxing would put it at a 8.0  but if u add in a stain and some tics and slight color breaking ................minor staining can put a book at 6.0   The book appears to be in really good shape so that should raise the grade from where ever  it settles. CGC is brutal on staining...............but what do I know....... Kav appears to be the man and he's giving it an 8.5 so i don't think he thinks  it has any stains. I'd go with what he says.

12 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

The back cover also looks a bit dirty with what appears to be some light foxing...7.5?

What exactly is foxing??  I think in its current state it is 7.5 maybe higher if pressed and clean at 8.0

Edited by Earl Yoshihara
additional comments

3 hours ago, Earl Yoshihara said:

What exactly is foxing??  I think in its current state it is 7.5 maybe higher if pressed and clean at 8.0

From what I understand, foxing is a type of fungus which is activated by relative humidity. It usually appears as rust colored spots on paper. It's a result of both organic and iron impurities left behind during the paper making process. It gets it's name from the (F) errous  (OX) ide or iron it's attracted to in the paper. 

A small amount of foxing is allowable up to a grade of 9.4, but generally speaking, the more extensive it is, the more it affects the grade. It looks rather mild in your case. I hope this helps and happy holidays... :foryou:

11 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

but what do I know....... Kav appears to be the man and he's giving it an 8.5 so i don't think he thinks  it has any stains. I'd go with what he says.

its definitely got a tiny stain in the upper left corner on that back, I think it might have been from oil or grease, theres no traces of oil or grease left but thats what the stain reminds of ...Its pretty small though...

Thanks for The reply ...

I personally grade between 8.0 and 8.5 without the Stain...but the stain throws me because I just dont know how to grade comics with stains...

I didnt even notice the stain for a long time and had it grade as "Between 8.0 and 8.5"....but A while back I noticed the stain and just dont know how much I should deduct for the stain,,,

I wish there was a chart with guidelines and pictures on how to grade Stains...I know all stains are different but I think someone could come up with something that could give us a reasonably close Guideline on stains

10 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

its definitely got a tiny stain in the upper left corner on that back, I think it might have been from oil or grease, theres no traces of oil or grease left but thats what the stain reminds of ...Its pretty small though...

Thanks for The reply ...

I personally grade between 8.0 and 8.5 without the Stain...but the stain throws me because I just dont know how to grade comics with stains...

I didnt even notice the stain for a long time and had it grade as "Between 8.0 and 8.5"....but A while back I noticed the stain and just dont know how much I should deduct for the stain,,,

I wish there was a chart with guidelines and pictures on how to grade Stains...I know all stains are different but I think someone could come up with something that could give us a reasonably close Guideline on stains

You're welcome! Happy holidays!