• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldest book in your collection?

55 posts in this topic

My oldest book - Captain America #39 in good condition. Still my only golden age comic - I remember buying it like 20 years ago, because I thought it would be cool to have a "really old" comic in my collection.

I am probably one of the few here who collects Platinum age comic books. Off the top of my head, I have a Buster Brown, His Dog Tige and Their Troubles from 1904 ( in fine condtion - very hard to find.) I think I might have some hard bound books and Puck magazine from the the late 1800's ( Victorian Age comics) - most were political satires. It is hard to believe that some of the comic books are over 100 years old.

Tom

Jungle Comics #85 from 1947. I had been reading about "bondage covers" in an Overstreet a few years ago and did an E-Bay search for it. I came across this one, which freaked me out, since Camilla is lookin' hot and in PRIME position for some lovin', but Kaanga seems more intent on buggering those gorillas from behind! The creators of this title found new and interesting submissive positions every month for Camilla to be in on the cover.

jungle85.jpg

Great question...

My oldest books are not that old either and, as a matter of fact, I just got them this week. I received reading copies of The Mighty Thor 137 & Batman 184. Both are from the mid 60's.

anyone remember the first comic you OWNED (like the reply about the Batman from the 1960s with the 3-D glasses).

i was given a G.I. Joe 5 in horrible condition when i was like 5 or so. i remember looking at it and wondering what the heck it was (i.e. - not knowing what a comic book was). i ended up reading through it multiple times though. maybe for posterity - i'll have to get myself a HG version of it some day.

the first comic i PURCHASED (and my 2nd comic ever, after the GIJoe 5) was Transformers 5 - the one with the cool Shockwave cover.

anyone remember the first comic you OWNED

That's a toughy, as my parents would always let me get a couple of comics whenever we went on family trips....The comics that stick out as being my earliest reads would be Doctor Solar and Capt. Atom....those were my favorites ...back in the day... wink.gif