• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IT'S HOWDEY DOODY TIME....NOT!
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2019 at 5:56 PM, Robot Man said:

I sold the last two Howdy Doody items I had to an older gentleman on Saturday. He wanted a few bucks off. I pretended I was thinking about it but in my mind I was really thinking "Thank you God!". I'm done buying stuff like that now matter how cool or how cheap anymore...

Right up there with Howdy Doody in terms of nil desirability nowadays is MAD magazine -- nobody wants 'em -- pretty sure their heyday was over by the close of the '70s. Of course EC's comics line is hot and well it should be, but they are a time capsule unto themselves from 1948-1956. I think the "meh" factor for magazine format MAD has started to contaminate the comic issues 1-23, as well. MOO of course.

On 1/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, originalisbest said:

Right up there with Howdy Doody in terms of nil desirability nowadays is MAD magazine -- nobody wants 'em -- pretty sure their heyday was over by the close of the '70s. Of course EC's comics line is hot and well it should be, but they are a time capsule unto themselves from 1948-1956. I think the "meh" factor for magazine format MAD has started to contaminate the comic issues 1-23, as well. MOO of course.

Which is sad because Mad is arguably the most influential non-hero comic ever, given its ripples thru decades of culture. How many tv and film folks have cited it as an influence?

7 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Hey! I bought that Doll Man 40 for the giant insect attack! :sumo: 

Horror themes are a popular as well :smile:

Horror plus a buxom babe, now you're really talking. Throw in some Nazis and demand will always outstrip supply. 

9 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Horror themes are a popular as well :smile:

Horror plus a buxom babe, now you're really talking. Throw in some Nazis and demand will always outstrip supply. 

You were supposed to laugh! I was just :baiting:

Seriously though, you nailed what I love about that book -- a superhero cover with great GGA and a horror theme that presages atomic age sci-if with the "giant" insect.

Kinda lame of Crandall not to work some Nazis into that cover lol

Edited by Readcomix
Typo

On 1/25/2019 at 5:17 AM, szavisca said:

Is it just me or does it look like he’s not even going to cook that first?

Let's hope that the "One Minute Later" cover is not Gene going full Ozzy on it...  :whatthe:  lol

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/21/2019 at 8:27 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Aside from Yosemite Sam, you have Porky Pig's stutter; Elmer Fudd's speech impediment; Bugs Bunny's tag line, "What a maroon!"; Daffy Duck's homicidal rantings; and Wylie Coyote's planting of roadside bombs. Warner Brothers probably wants to steer clear of the potential PR minefield. (They've already taken some heat for "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs," after all.)

The situation seems similar to the way Disney has suppressed "Song of the South," which is quite inoffensive, especially compared to some of the Warner Bros.'s material.

ETA: I almost forgot about Pepe LePew, the Harvey Weinstein of the cartoon world.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-3621-cartoon-violence/

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:54 AM, Readcomix said:

Now that's interesting; I thought Warner Bros (along with whoever owns Scooby Doo these days) was doing a better job of keeping their old funny animals alive. I've felt for a long time that the Dianey characters have become more like logos than characters; not much content featuring them. While funny animals as a concept remain popular with little kids, 1) it's easy enough  to create new ones and 2) comic books are not the medium in which they are delivered. (Though I am intrigued that Marvel has a Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal book coming.)

That said, if the owners of those characters keep them alive in other media, I suppose the old comics have some shot at remaining collectible. More so than most westerns or funny humans books, I think. 

With westerns, I think the few that remain collectible are driven by facts other than their primary genre (eg Frazetta Art, GGA, pch-style covers, early Marvel style stories, etc)

Of course, there's not a lot of distinguishable keys among funny animals, other than among the Ducks books. I would bet against the vast majority of funny animals with the caveat that they are most easily recyclable. But I'd still much rather have a Scooby Doo #1 than a Roy Rogers #1 (or his 1st appearance in Four Color) both from a sentiment perspective and if I had to bet on which of the two is more likely to hold its value and liquidity as a collectible.

I actually prefer Roy Rogers #1 to Sooby Doo but I like both.  I have a lot of fond memories about westerns I saw on TV or at the movies.  Bill Boyd, Wild Bill Eliot, Lash Larue, Lone Ranger were some of my favorites.  I liked the TV shows with Roy and Dale but missed most of the movies until they reappeared on western channels.  I like having different genre to look at and sometimes the art is terrific (esp. Frazetta).

15766001346_07da7f5166_b.jpg