• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AQUAMAN 2 directed by James Wan (12/16/22)
6 6

934 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2024 at 6:41 PM, Axelrod said:

Uh, pretty sure that's exactly what I noted.  Aquaman 2 is "holding" better than the original Aquaman.  Technically.  

It is, of course, easier to "hold" better when you are starting from a significantly lower box office start. 

But it's something!

You mistakenly implied he was misrepresenting content. I provided you the actual Box Office Mojo tracking results because you were not aware of the actual metrics he was referencing.

Uh

Edited by Bosco685

On 1/26/2024 at 6:43 PM, Bosco685 said:

You mistakenly implied he was misrepresenting content.

Uh, no I didn't?

This seems a silly argument.  

On 1/26/2024 at 6:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

Uh-huh. Meanwhile you did. Just own it.

Genuinely not sure what point you are trying to make.  You think that I have unfairly maligned the integrity of the Box Office Mojo guy?  

On 1/26/2024 at 6:56 PM, Axelrod said:

Genuinely not sure what point you are trying to make.  You think that I have unfairly maligned the integrity of the Box Office Mojo guy?  

You noted he misrepresented Aquaman 2 doing better than Aquaman 1. That is not what he was noting. So I actually provided the metrics he is referencing from Box Office Mojo to make you aware what he was pointing to.

You now taking offense with your "uh" and implying you didn't say that is a personal problem. Not mine. I tried to share information.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

You noted he misrepresented Aquaman 2 doing better than Aquaman 1. That is not what he was noting. So I actually provided the metrics he is referencing from Box Office Mojo to make you aware what he was pointing to.

You now taking offense with your "uh" and implying you didn't say that is a personal problem. Not mine. I tried to share information.

I said exactly what he was representing regarding the respective "holds" between Aquaman 1 and 2.  How do you not understand that?  It was right there in the post?  

I then offered a personal opinion that this kind of statistic is somewhat misleading, in as much as it suggests that Aquaman 2 is doing better than Aquaman 1 in any meaningful way.  

You can't really disagree with that. 

I mean, you can disagree that it is misleading in any way since it's just reporting numbers and numbers are what they are.  But, you know, numbers and statistics get used to spin results all the time.   

Seems like you are just being kind of ornery and defensive with regards to Aquaman 2 box office for some reason.  

On 1/26/2024 at 7:06 PM, Axelrod said:

I said exactly what he was representing regarding the respective "holds" between Aquaman 1 and 2.  How do you not understand that?  It was right there in the post?  

I then offered a personal opinion that this kind of statistic is somewhat misleading, in as much as it suggests that Aquaman 2 is doing better than Aquaman 1 in any meaningful way.  

You can't really disagree with that. 

I mean, you can disagree that it is misleading in any way since it's just reporting numbers and numbers are what they are.  But, you know, numbers and statistics get used to spin results all the time.   

Seems like you are just being kind of ornery and defensive with regards to Aquaman 2 box office for some reason.  

I'll take this one step further. And type it slower.

When I post any box office results and the same two people then work to discredit what that source says because they want to just target the negative and not just reporting - that is normal behavior to you??

Uh

Edited by Bosco685

On 1/26/2024 at 7:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'll take this one step further. And type it slower.

When I post any box office results and the same two people then work to discredit what that source says because they want to just target the negative and not just reporting - that is normal behavior to you??

Uh

To be clear, I'm not one of those "same two people" you are referring to, right?

I would agree there are some people who seem overly happy to point out how poorly Aquaman 2 is doing (along with lots of other recent comic book movies).  

I would disagree about that not being "normal" behavior though.  I think it's fairly normal.  People gloat.  They are also happy to be proved "right."  People can be pleased and also feel vindicated when a movie they don't like does badly.  Possible to do it to an extreme, of course.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:44 PM, Axelrod said:

To be clear, I'm not one of those "same two people" you are referring to, right?

I would agree there are some people who seem overly happy to point out how poorly Aquaman 2 is doing (along with lots of other recent comic book movies).  

I would disagree about that not being "normal" behavior though.  I think it's fairly normal.  People gloat.  They are also happy to be proved "right."  People can be pleased and also feel vindicated when a movie they don't like does badly.  Possible to do it to an extreme, of course.

Of course you are not one of the two - you hardly post in this thread. Right? See how you may assume things that are not there?

It's not fairly normal when they go from thread to thread excited to celebrate a film's failure. Films are going to excel, and others are going to fail. Those are the facts we all can agree on. Frequently rejoicing in these things like the directors or actors stole their lunch money at some point is odd.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:06 PM, Axelrod said:

Yes.

It's amazing how a certain voice here will go to great pains to defend superhero films he likes, even (often especially) the abject critical and box office failures, and then take issue with literally anyone who posts negative (yet objectively verifiable) counter-arguments.

The reality is, Aquaman 2 failed - just as The Marvels, The Flash, Black Adam, Justice League Part 1 and BvS all failed as well.

These films have no defense, as one could simply look at the critical and box office results or (in the case of BvS) the number of projects that were significantly reworked and/or straight canceled in its wake.

Again, their failures are self-evident.

But anyone who merely points this out in response to repeated glowing spin, like daily gushing updates about Aquaman 2's "legs" from Luiz, is subjected to repeated denials and inappropriate personal attacks.

As you pointed out, "legs" basically don't matter when your opening weekend starting point is 60% below that of your first film, or when you lose your # 1 status on day 4 despite weak competition, or (in the case of BvS) word-of-mouth is so bad that your 2nd-weekend drop is >69%.

'objectively verifiable'

:roflmao:

I guess that's what it is when you pretend it is about a film versus mocking someone that English is not their primary language or you alter facts so as to justify ugly posts.

:shiftyeyes:

On 1/27/2024 at 10:10 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Yes.

It's amazing how a certain voice here will go to great pains to defend superhero films he likes, even (often especially) the abject critical and box office failures, and then take issue with literally anyone who posts negative (yet objectively verifiable) counter-arguments.

Spoiler

The reality is, Aquaman 2 failed - just as The Marvels, The Flash, Black Adam, Justice League Part 1 and BvS all failed as well.

These films have no defense, as one could simply look at the critical and box office results or (in the case of BvS) the number of projects that were significantly reworked and/or straight canceled in its wake.

Again, their failures are self-evident.

But anyone who merely points this out in response to repeated glowing spin, like daily gushing updates about Aquaman 2's "legs" from Luiz, is subjected to repeated denials and inappropriate personal attacks.

As you pointed out, "legs" basically don't matter when your opening weekend starting point is 60% below that of your first film, or when you lose your # 1 status on day 4 despite weak competition, or (in the case of BvS) word-of-mouth is so bad that your 2nd-weekend drop is >69%.

Have you seen Aquaman 2 for yourself to pass judgment (definitely not as solid as 2018 for me) since you've posted so much failure rejoicing in this thread? With proof.

Otherwise, isn't that extremely odd behavior in threads to discuss these individual movies?

:shiftyeyes:

On 1/27/2024 at 10:54 AM, ThothAmon said:

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  Have all you Mr. Wizards factored the growth of streaming into all this box office doom and gloom?  

IMG_0036.jpeg

All I know is I went back to check.

Not one review from either "haa haa this film is trash". So if they post it now, in one of their words, that would be disingenuous. Right?

On 1/27/2024 at 10:54 AM, ThothAmon said:

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  Have all you Mr. Wizards factored the growth of streaming into all this box office doom and gloom?  

IMG_0036.jpeg

Short term, I think it doesn’t matter as much.

Why?

2023 had the same number of films (2) gross >$1.2 billion worldwide as did 2022

But none of those 4 films were superhero ones.

You have to go back to 2021 to find a $1 billion-grossing superhero flick - and despite their being two monster $1 billion+ grossers last year, precisely one superhero film managed to clear even $500 million (Guardians 3).

So…despite the growth in streaming, audiences are still hungry to watch blockbusters in the theater - just not so much comic book ones.

On 1/27/2024 at 12:24 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Short term, I think it doesn’t matter as much.

Why?

2023 had the same number of films (2) gross >$1.2 billion worldwide as did 2022

But none of those 4 films were superhero ones.

You have to go back to 2021 to find a $1 billion-grossing superhero flick - and despite their being two monster $1 billion+ grossers last year, precisely one superhero film managed to clear even $500 million (Guardians 3).

So…despite the growth in streaming, audiences are still hungry to watch blockbusters in the theater - just not so much comic book ones.

Once you go to see Aquaman 2 this weekend, that will be another $8 to $11.

Every little bit helps. Right?

Looks like the China box office extension is paying off with continued results. How much of a difference that makes until the 2/16 end will be telling.

image.png.e9989eeda17f9dd1e7a78b85b4f08582.png

Why China Has Lost Interest in Hollywood Movies

Claire FuBrooks BarnesDaisuke Wakabayashi

By Claire FuBrooks Barnes and Daisuke Wakabayashi

Claire Fu and Daisuke Wakabayashi reported from Seoul, and Brooks Barnes from Los Angeles.

Jan. 23, 2024

Before the sequel to “Aquaman” was released in China last month, Warner Bros. did everything it could to sustain the original movie’s success.

The Hollywood studio blanketed Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok, with movie clips, behind-the-scenes footage and a video of an Aquaman ice sculpture at a winter festival in Harbin, a city in China’s northeast. It sent the franchise’s star, Jason Momoa, and director, James Wan, on a publicity tour in China — the type of barnstorming that had disappeared since the Covid pandemic. Mr. Momoa said China’s fondness for the first “Aquaman” was why the sequel was debuting in China two days before the U.S. release.

“I’m very proud that China loved it, so that’s why we brought it to you, and you guys are going to see it before the whole world,” he said in an interview with CCTV 6, China’s state-run film channel.

The big push didn’t work.

“Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom” has collected only about $60 million in China after a few weeks of release. That was nowhere near the 2018 original’s $90 million opening weekend in China on its way to a $293 million haul, accounting for a quarter of that movie’s $1.2 billion box office success.