• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

963 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2024 at 9:46 PM, pmpknface said:

I just don’t see the point of this at all. The only reason is perhaps someone needs to complete a copy that has a cover.

On 6/25/2024 at 12:01 AM, *paull* said:

I just don’t see the point of this at all. The only reason is perhaps someone needs to complete a copy that has a cover.

I've never had interest in coverless copies of books generally, but also specifically when the cover is the only draw.

On 6/24/2024 at 6:46 PM, pmpknface said:

Wow! Not only coverless but missing the first wrap. Maybe someone needs a centerfold BAD. That appears to be present.

This seller is a local flipper. He used to put up some pretty decent stuff but has burned a lot of bridges locally.

I’m sure he will make sure I know about this next time he sees me first.

Hey, good for him…(shrug)

On 7/2/2024 at 3:40 PM, *paull* said:

We've seen a lot of upward movement on Mask 1 and 2 and a selection of others over the past few years, but I am surprised that Suspense 8 hasn't taken off. In the years after the Gerber journals were released, this book was really sought after. If I was in the market for a top Cole cover right now, this is the book I would pursue, especially if Mask 1 and 2 are out of reach. There was a time when the Masks were reasonable and now a lot of people regret not buying them then. This is the time for Suspense 8.... it's bound to pick up steam.

Mine is low grade... 

629062-IMGP1981.JPG.b6c6179e6e84caba393430257c6a9643.JPG

Probably because Cole did a better version of this cover for Startling 11.

On 7/2/2024 at 3:49 PM, Ryan. said:

Probably because Cole did a better version of this cover for Startling 11.

I have both, but prefer Suspense 8.  It was first, has a black cover, and no cover text.

On 7/2/2024 at 3:55 PM, *paull* said:

I have both, but prefer Suspense 8.  It was first, has a black cover, and no cover text.

Plus it has Mr. Nobody's luscious full lips as the focal point.

On 7/2/2024 at 4:02 PM, Point Five said:

Many collectors prefer Frisky Animals #54 to Mask #1 & #2 and Suspense #8. Like those it's a tough black cover. Fewer devils and spiders but you get this really big cat.

friskyanimals54vg.thumb.jpg.cbf12cf65901b7d74829084e5d527908.jpg

Yeah but that's way out of reach for most collectors.

On 7/2/2024 at 4:18 PM, pmpknface said:

Thankfully, I have both but I do need to scan my Super Cat issues....

Right, that's the other reason it's so tough... no one bothers to scan it. An absolute ghost of an issue.

On 7/2/2024 at 3:02 PM, Point Five said:

Many collectors prefer Frisky Animals #54 to Mask #1 & #2 and Suspense #8. Like those it's a tough black cover. Fewer devils and spiders but you get this really big cat.

friskyanimals54vg.thumb.jpg.cbf12cf65901b7d74829084e5d527908.jpg

This is an awesome cover.

On 7/2/2024 at 3:58 PM, Ryan. said:

Plus it has Mr. Nobody's luscious full lips as the focal point.

You left out "kissable"! 

Since we're nitpicking...

The bar on the left side of Blue Bolt 105.  Oh yeah, and "Help! Help!"
Dollar sign rapper chain wearing devil on Suspense 11
... and the incomprehensible mess of Ghostly Weird 122

On 7/2/2024 at 4:28 PM, *paull* said:

:cloud9:

On 7/2/2024 at 4:33 PM, Ryan. said:

:cloud9:

I was surprised when the interest in GW 122 picked up.  There are so many underappreciated Cole books that I would rate higher.  For example, Spook 27.  It's a cooler incomprehensible mess!

Not my book... but someone stole this off eBay recently for $493 in CGC 5.0 :

Spook #27 L.B. Cole Cover Art Pre-Code Horror Golden Age Star Comic 1954 CGC 5.0 - Picture 1 of 2

On 7/2/2024 at 4:28 PM, *paull* said:

Since we're nitpicking...

The bar on the left side of Blue Bolt 105.  Oh yeah, and "Help! Help!"
Dollar sign rapper chain wearing devil on Suspense 11

:whatthe:

The guy who started the LB Cole cover thread is gonna kick your azz when he sees all this.  :taptaptap: 

On 7/2/2024 at 4:59 PM, Point Five said:

:whatthe:

The guy who started the LB Cole cover thread is gonna kick your azz when he sees all this.  :taptaptap: 

F that guy, whoever he is! :bigsmile:

My point is that many of Cole's best covers have imperfections.  For instance, I'm a big fan of Power Comics 3. I just mentally block out the unfortunate Chin Chop.

On 7/2/2024 at 4:49 PM, *paull* said:

I was surprised when the interest in GW 122 picked up.  There are so many underappreciated Cole books that I would rate higher.  For example, Spook 27.  It's a cooler incomprehensible mess!

Not my book... but someone stole this off eBay recently for $493 in CGC 5.0 :

Spook #27 L.B. Cole Cover Art Pre-Code Horror Golden Age Star Comic 1954 CGC 5.0 - Picture 1 of 2

Agreed, I dig this super weird cover.  :)  This was one that never quite did it for me until I found one with really bold colors. 

lf.thumb.jpeg.a8c55799f6346683d54d30cd38321abf.jpeg

On 7/2/2024 at 5:05 PM, Point Five said:

Agreed, I dig this super weird cover.  :)  This was one that never quite did it for me until I found one with really bold colors. 

lf.thumb.jpeg.a8c55799f6346683d54d30cd38321abf.jpeg

I agree... the almost fluorescent colors on this cover are what caught my eye initially.  It has become a favorite of mine.  I'm surprised that this hasn't taken off.  How in the world did a 5.0 sell for $493?