• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near SEVEN figure mtg art sales

132 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, buyatari said:

To be fair I’m quite certain that the offer of 2.5M came before the ask of 6.5M. The ask is in part based on not only other sales but the ever increasing private offers on the Lotus. 

Ah good clarification, the point remains though that 2.5m was not tempting, except as a data point to move up against :)

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

This isn't someone who's holding 1 piece of art, and has any need of money at the moment.

I agree this sounds like the most likely situation.  He's priced it at a point where he's willing to part with it.  But he doesn't need to sell it and is happy to keep it.  I think we've all got similar amounts in our head for some of our most prized pieces/books in our collection. 

There isn't anything that isn't for sale at the right price.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Even self-respect and dignity? Maybe so for many, but not mine.

I have a number of pieces, at least ten actually, that are truly priceless: even in the face of Gene's definition of a life-changing offer. Their absence, any one or all would far exceed the offset of what the money could buy in its' place. It's just money, which is hardly everything at all. And I just might be the outlier, the lucky one even, that has pretty much everything else taken care of already.

I'm personally not vested in MTG or Black Lotus specifically to give a hoot one way or the other, but it's not hard to imagine what that original could mean to the very serious MTG fan that has it all. And Black Lotus. Giving it up could/would devalue all the rest of it too, as that collection (and possibly the owner's self-esteem itself) would never be able to exceed that high-water mark. $6.5m, in that case, is nothing at all.

10 hours ago, vodou said:

The ask on Lotus is $6. The offer was 1/3rd that. Who ever in the history of the world, that doesn't need to money for dire circumstances, ever leapt at 1/3rd ask? Seriously. Show me that guy, and receipts too please lolThat's the proposition being tossed around, that just 1/3rd ask would be taking advantage of the dummy offering it. Based on...? Nothing. Of course.

The offer was 1/3 of $6.5 million. A price way beyond anything that ever sold in that hobby for any painting. 

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I agree this sounds like the most likely situation.  He's priced it at a point where he's willing to part with it.  But he doesn't need to sell it and is happy to keep it.  I think we've all got similar amounts in our head for some of our most prized pieces/books in our collection. 

Then the piece isn’t really worth $2.5 million. Some rich guy who doesn’t need the money is  just refusing to sell, and throwing up an outrageous number to dissuade offers. 

What I find comical is that the person who offers the $2.5 mil, assuming it’s legit, is probably the only other person (other than the owner) who values it that highly, and has the means to pay for it. Probably explains why it’s not going to auction. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The offer was 1/3 of $6.5 million. A price way beyond anything that ever sold in that hobby for any painting. 

Pulled straight out of the furthest, deepest, darkest regions of your... :)

Then the piece isn’t really worth $2.5 million. Some rich guy who doesn’t need the money is  just refusing to sell, and throwing up an outrageous number to dissuade offers. 

You're right. It's worth less because a bid in the hand is worth twice in the bush. At best this can only be 1.25m now. Everybody knows that. Quick..snap it up on the downswing, an even mil -cash- should do it.

What I find comical is that the person who offers the $2.5 mil, assuming it’s legit, is probably the only other person (other than the owner) who values it that highly, and has the means to pay for it. Probably explains why it’s not going to auction. 

lollollollollol and because you're really special today...a record sixth lol

13 hours ago, vodou said:

Pulled straight out of the furthest, deepest, darkest regions of your... :)

You're right. It's worth less because a bid in the hand is worth twice in the bush. At best this can only be 1.25m now. Everybody knows that. Quick..snap it up on the downswing, an even mil -cash- should do it.

lollollollollol and because you're really special today...a record sixth lol

The trolling is strong with this one.

Just now, vodou said:

Lay out your case. Please :)

Everyone who reads your bullying, self-interested comments can decide for themselves. You obviously have some kind of financial interest in MTG art sales, and are desperately trying to prop this market up for some reason. Or, alternatively, you have dealer friends or customers you are trying to protect. You sound like a Bitcoin huckster, at this point. This has gone beyond a legitimate discussion about the value of this art into some kind of questionable ethical scam, as far as I'm concerned. This thread should be locked, and I am not going to participate in this discussion any longer.

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Everyone who reads your bullying, self-interested comments can decide for themselves. You obviously have some kind of financial interest in MTG art sales, and are desperately trying to prop this market up for some reason. Or, alternatively, you have dealer friends or customers you are trying to protect. You sound like a Bitcoin huckster, at this point. This has gone beyond a legitimate discussion about the value of this art into some kind of questionable ethical scam, as far as I'm concerned. This thread should be locked, and I am not going to participate in this discussion any longer.

OMG come on now.  lol

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

Everyone who reads your bullying, self-interested comments can decide for themselves.

Of course. Nothing like stating the obvious. However posting a conclusion with supporting evidences removes my ability to rebut your argument :) Would you like me to post only my conclusion about you (based on online activity that I've seen only, since I don't have any other context) lol 

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

You obviously have some kind of financial interest in MTG art sales, and are desperately trying to prop this market up for some reason.

Wrong. lol

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Or, alternatively, you have dealer friends or customers you are trying to protect.

Wrong. lollol

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

You sound like a Bitcoin huckster, at this point.

A matter of opinion, entertaining at best but not factual. Unless you have some facts to lay out... lollollol

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This has gone beyond a legitimate discussion about the value of this art into some kind of questionable ethical scam, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not seeing anybody post that cares about your concerns. Why are you concerned? (And who cares anyway? Not me.) lollollollol

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This thread should be locked, and I am not going to participate in this discussion any longer.

The ultimate retreat of those that have nothing informative, pertinent or even interesting to post. Seeya, you will not be missed. lol  lollollollol and a for a parting gift, two more lollol