• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near SEVEN figure mtg art sales

132 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

It's not bad (Rush). The other two (Frazier) are. Unless you are living the throwback Victorian Life or something.

I like the background on the rush but the flower itself is naively painted, I don't care for it.   

The fraziers I personally like (just don't like that they are collages).   The objects illustrated are supposed to artifacts.. supposed to be old... looking victorian fits fine.    But hey you wouldn't know that without the context of being familiar with the game.   There's that word again.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Yes.

You'd have to be a fan to justify the price but it's definitely good art.

Yeah and from the same hand that brought us "beauties" like this.   Even Herb Trimpe had his good days bro

29_gallery-jesper-myfors-2.jpg

I'll clarify, that by good I mean that the execution exceeds the demands of the project...it's successful as art separate from context. I'd argue the victorians (lol) do not  but the straight outta a 19th century ornithological textbook flower does too.

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Yeah and from the same hand that brought us "beauties" like this.   Even Herb Trimpe had his good days bro

29_gallery-jesper-myfors-2.jpg

Problematic but still...I'm telling you, the hand of a great artist is present. Example: the flatness of the background against the work on the figure, pulls the figure out and pushes the background back...a very intentional 3D illusion...not an accident an likely not a requirement to get the job done, get the card decks into stores. Good artists can't help themselves, they just make good art. That's what separates them, and their work, from the vastly outnumbering forces of the workmanlike artist. Those guys...they meet the exact demand and deadline but bring nothing else (generally) otherwise. Cue: Herb Trimpe and Sal Buscema (though I'm finding some of his later "this century" work may be breakout, not sure yet though).

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

I'll clarify, that by good I mean that the execution exceeds the demands of the project...it's successful as art separate from context. I'd argue the victorians (lol) do not  but the straight outta a 19th century ornithological textbook flower does too.

well I for one can't wait to hear your musings on ATOG, above.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Problematic but still...I'm telling you, the hand of a great artist is present. Example: the flatness of the background against the work on the figure, pulls the figure out and pushes the background back...a very intentional 3D illusion...not an accident an likely not a requirement to get the job done, get the card decks into stores. Good artists can't help themselves, they just make good art. That's what separates them, and their work, from the vastly outnumbering forces of the workmanlike artist. Those guys...they meet the exact demand and deadline but bring nothing else (generally) otherwise. Cue: Herb Trimpe and Sal Buscema (though I'm finding some of his later "this century" work may be breakout, not sure yet though).

Please continue.. same artist

4dg9s836fg86uoah06eja2hs9ho2rbku-l2.jpg

Just now, Bronty said:

Please continue.. same artist

4dg9s836fg86uoah06eja2hs9ho2rbku-l2.jpg

Heh. I really don't know what to do with this. When I first ran into the Jesper I really like, I stalked his entire output, ccg and anything and everything else I could find on the internet. That's what I do when I get excited about an artist, a good one, that's new to me. And, as you are proving, I did -then- identify that the first one I saw (Mold Demon) was one of his best. I wouldn't buy "eyes", but somebody that's really into "eyes" could, I mean there's nothing wrong with them...is there?

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Heh. I really don't know what to do with this. When I first ran into the Jesper I really like, I stalked his entire output, ccg and anything and everything else I could find on the internet. That's what I do when I get excited about an artist, a good one, that's new to me. And, as you are proving, I did -then- identify that the first one I saw (Mold Demon) was one of his best. I wouldn't buy "eyes", but somebody that's really into "eyes" could, I mean there's nothing wrong with them...is there?

OK.   What can you do with this one?   Same artist.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=233306&type=card

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

OK.   What can you do with this one?   Same artist.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=233306&type=card

Tough to see in that image, but I agree nothing at all to get excited about. These guys get to drinking too much at times, same as the rest of us right? Leaning toward totally phoned in for this one. FMV? I'm sure you'll tell me $125k :)

Untap phase? I want that to be sexual but it's probably not...

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

And........... I've been sucked into the vodou sidebar once again ;)

Oh no, you got suckered into deeper contemplation....but seriously, only one seven figure confirmed sale (yes?) so not much else to do here that's strictly O(n)T is there? This thread is more of a present placeholder for the eventual future and more numerous big sales to come I think.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Oh no, you got suckered into deeper contemplation....but seriously, only one seven figure confirmed sale (yes?) so not much else to do here that's strictly O(n)T is there? This thread is more of a present placeholder for the eventual future and more numerous big sales to come I think.

I'm not sure there's any 7 figure completed sales yet (for single pieces).   At least one seven figure sale reported but that was for two pieces.   

But a number of pieces starting to scratch at that 7 figures.   Hence the "near" in the title

Edited by Bronty

I would have to question the sanity of anyone who pays millions for those paintings. Nobody who got rich working for their money could have that much contempt for it.  2c

There's no way you could open up a small muffler shop and do a thousand muffler jobs before saving up enough money to open a second shop, and then a third, and later a whole chain. Same, too, for owning a large roofing company, starting out with just one truck. How about a local success story here in Chicagoland? Portillo started with a little hot dog trailer and parleyed it into a billion-dollar restaurant business after many, many years of hard work and shrewd business decisions. 

Even the fantastic art collection of Samuel Kress was earned one dime at a time, and even though I'm guessing he paid near an inflation-adjusted 6.5M for works, he got something very painterly like a Raphael or a Titian.

If you're going to make the argument that the lotus painting stands on its own aesthetic merits, then you'll have to out-Sisyphus Sisyphus.  :foryou:

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I do not believe, for one solitary second, that the owner of the Black Lotus painting turned down $2.5 million for it. 

If that were the case, why isn’t this guy submitting it to an auction house? 

You're seriously way out of your depth here, I'm just out of my depth. But even I know that the auction market for this stuff is barely developed, if that word can even be used yet at all, and there's a ladder that needs to be built ramping public sales up over a while to get from $75k (for that absolutely god awful KFoglio) to anything $millions. Duh.

The way it's done and will be done is $75k to $150k to $400k to $850k to...well, just look at HAs history with comic art actually. That's what played out from their first sale to the very recent Fritz top comic art number (which still isn't seven figures yet). Public sales ladder always lags private sales ladder. That's 101 for developing markets.