• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near SEVEN figure mtg art sales

132 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'm not sure there's any 7 figure completed sales yet (for single pieces).   At least one seven figure sale reported but that was for two pieces.   

But a number of pieces starting to scratch at that 7 figures.   Hence the "near" in the title

That post is confusing.

Buyer of Timewalk is not the buyer of the Mox. So it wasn't one sale. 

17 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I would have to question the sanity of anyone who pays millions for those paintings. Nobody who got rich working for their money could have that much contempt for it.  2c

You make a good case. The 2.5m offer and the eventual sale at whatever number, along with all the rest are likely to folks that are in tech/software and other startup type enterprises that get acquired early and expensively. I agree it's not going to be brick n mortar guys that built their businesses traditionally and conservatively over decades. That's a mindset, a way of life, thus they are top to bottom traditional and conservative people and that's what they will buy too. The upstarts, nutty creatives...they will cashout and then spend big on this stuff. But what does it matter? The market is there and is clearly trending up from an already (to those of us outside the thing) high level.

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

You're seriously way out of your depth here, I'm just out of my depth. But even I know that the auction market for this stuff is barely developed, if that word can even be used yet at all, and there's a ladder that needs to be built ramping public sales up over a while to get from $75k (for that absolutely god awful KFoglio) to anything $millions. Duh.

The way it's done and will be done is $75k to $150k to $400k to $850k to...well, just look at HAs history with comic art actually. That's what played out from their first sale to the very recent Fritz top comic art number (which still isn't seven figures yet). Public sales ladder always lags private sales ladder. That's 101 for developing markets.

So, in other words, there is nothing but word of mouth sales outside of the auction house, and this claim the owner received a $2,5 million offer for it is apocryphal, at best.

I think context is really important here as well and crazy prices are justified.

These are simply the best cards in the game we're talking about.  It's not like comics where some people's favorite is Action 1, TEC 27, GSXM1, DKR, some it's Watchmen, some it's Superman 75 some it's... ect, ect.  The power 9 are all of them combined, with the lotus and mox's standing on top of that pyramid.

There is no debate.  for the last 30 years these have been the most sought after, best cards in the game.  Any M:TG player knows these images like the back of their hands.

I think a good way to put their importance into context is to listen to the indicator episode about M:TG, it really broke down why Magic broke all the molds and made something unique and special in the marketplace.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/12/26/679311116/episode-609-the-curse-of-the-black-lotus

Edited by Pete Marino

1 minute ago, vodou said:

You make a good case. The 2.5m offer and the eventual sale at whatever number, along with all the rest are likely to folks that are in tech/software and other startup type enterprises that get acquired early and expensively. I agree it's not going to be brick n mortar guys that built their businesses traditionally and conservatively over decades. That's a mindset, a way of life, thus they are top to bottom traditional and conservative people and that's what they will buy too. The upstarts, nutty creatives...they will cashout and then spend big on this stuff. But what does it matter? The market is there and is clearly trending up from an already (to those of us outside the thing) high level.

Yes, it's not my money, so there's a libertarian nerve inside me telling me "it's all good." But is it?

In my weaker moments, I can't help but feel there's a better way to utilize those levels of wealth. Still, I don't want a Robin Hood-turned-bureaucrat knocking on my door someday telling me not to spend $15 on a VG+ issue of Four Color, so best to leave things as they are.  :shy:

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

So, in other words, there is nothing but word of mouth sales outside of the auction house, and this claim the owner received a $2,5 million offer for it is apocryphal, at best.

I trust the subject matter experts here to vet that, and they have. It's hearsay but relatively high quality hearsay. That's good enough for me, and I'm not bothered by it turning out to be a bit of puffery too down the road. That Kaja sale at HA is enough to convince that there is real money at work, 2.5m or not, the kind most comics folks will never understand unless they were also crossover players in the 1990s. The seven figures will happen and it will not make sense to just about any of us but perfect sense to that crowd. Ever try explaining to your wife or parent that Fritz went for $750k...I bet they couldn't get past how sexualized the image was, totally inappropriate for children (a comic book, after all). Why, somebody is probably calling their Congressman right now to demand a ban on all underage access to sex-stuff-by-Crumb blah blah blah.

5 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I don't think anyone here is saying that his statement has been confirmed. Still I can at least confirm the Timewalk sale and if that happened then a 2.5M offer for Lotus is at least possible. 

5 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Yes, it's not my money, so there's a libertarian nerve inside me telling me "it's all good." But is it?

In my weaker moments, I can't help but feel there's a better way to utilize those levels of wealth. Still, I don't want a Robin Hood-turned-bureaucrat knocking on my door someday telling me not to spend $15 on a VG+ issue of Four Color, so best to leave things as they are.  :shy:

Utility...(and libertarianism)...Oh I get that, well and good, but...we are thus conservative, at least fiscally, by our very natures, no? So we're not wired that way. Plain and simple. Non-conservatives...this is their playground.

1 minute ago, buyatari said:

Still I can at least confirm the Timewalk sale and if that happened then a 2.5M offer for Lotus is at least possible.

Excellent. And thank you. PhilipB...please now call buyatari a liar. Please. Do it.

and then you can set up a completely redundant Lowry Best of on your own platform and design...that nobody will migrate too. Please, please, pretty please, do that also.

4 minutes ago, buyatari said:

I don't think anyone here is saying that his statement has been confirmed. Still I can at least confirm the Timewalk sale and if that happened then a 2.5M offer for Lotus is at least possible. 

It's not plausible, because if it were offered, it would have been accepted. How do I know this? Because the auction market for MTG art is, Underdeveloped" at best. It's not like someone turning down $2.5 mil for the Hulk 181 cover. You have a pretty good idea what that would go for based upon auction sales, etc. And, I dare say, that if the owner of the Hulk #181 cover was offered $2.5 million outside of an auction, they might well take it. That's 3 times the value of the Hulk 180 1st appearance panel page, and no item of OA has hit 7 figures in an auction setting, yet. (The rumored private 7 figure sales, notwithstanding).

Edited by PhilipB2k17

36 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I do not believe, for one solitary second, that the owner of the Black Lotus painting turned down $2.5 million for it. 

If that were the case, why isn’t this guy submitting it to an auction house? 

I don't honestly know.   But I've seen some eye popping sales.   If mox jet is 750k, lotus really should be in that range.   Its the much more desirable piece.   

And if that shahrazad on heritage was 80k, mox jet really should be 750k.   

The auction house question - come on ;)   Fees and risk, obviously.    Same as every other private sale in comics or art.    

Edited by Bronty

Just now, vodou said:

Unassailable logic. I need a nap.

I explained why. MTG art is a very immature market, so any serious cash money offer for the Black Lotus painting (We're talking Action #1 CGC 8.0 money), would be accepted in a heartbeat. It's theoretical.

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

It's not plausible, because if it were offered, it would have been accepted. 

Why would you say that?

You could call him a lair and I couldn't argue because I don't know. 

You could call him crazy for turning down an offer of 2.5 and I couldn't argue that either. 

However, you can't say that this person (one that you have never met and don't know) would have to accept said offer if in fact it was made. 

if you read his posts one thing is very clear. The seller at least believes it is worth millions. 

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I don't honestly know.   But I've seen some eye popping sales.   If mox jet is 750k, lotus really should be in that range.   Its the much more desirable piece.   

And if that shahrazad on heritage was 80k, mox jet really should be 750k.   

Maybe so. But MTG cards are valuable because they are still playable, correct? And some of these valuable ones are also rare. You can't play the Lotus painting in a MTG game.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 minute ago, buyatari said:

Why would you say that?

You could call him crazy for turning down an offer of 2.5 and I couldn't argue that either. 

However, you can't say that this person (one that you have never met and don't know) would have to accept said offer if in fact it was made. 

if you read his posts one thing is very clear. The seller at least believes it is worth millions. 

Fair enough. Maybe the person is deluded.

3 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Why would you say that?

Like the person who finds a beat up copy of Action #1 in his grandmother's attic, and thinks it's worth $3.8 million.