• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

They’re all great, and at least worth a read. If you enjoy “It’s a Good Life” try

George Sprott

Any of the hardcover Palookavilles. He ceased making floppies years ago

Wimbeldon Green

Unlike F for Fake, I thought Clyde Fans was swell. I find his comics as rich as a full-on novel.

He's from an era where Fantagraphics, through both their comics and their recommendations, kept me interested in comics. I actually made Gary Groth blush at SDCC one year, when I told him that. 

Mainstream comics in the early 90's were just terrible.

24 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I just don't think you could get away with writing Bronze Age type of stories today. Kids are growing up playing Mature Themed Video games by the time they're 6-7 years old.

I know Heavy Metal and the Curtis Mags ruined it all for me - I thought the majority of regular Marvel Comics were ridiculously juvenile by the time I was 13-14 years old. I needed something with a bit more 'sturm und drang'... the mainstream stuff, other than what was going on in ASM at the time and Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel, just bored me in it's simplistic, formulaic style. 

Today's kids have access to the Internet at a VERY early age. Just thinking about that... and really, really thinking about that... is kinda scary.

True. Game of Thrones Era vs Six-Millon-Dollar Man Era. 

21 hours ago, mrc said:

Could someone please tell me where the great artwork in comic books is at  the moment. Anyone?

Sean Murphy is an excellent artist. 

Batman : White Knight

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:
2 hours ago, 500Club said:

No.

It's been suggested that creators are loathe to create in a work-for-hire environment, and forego possible future riches.  Aside from Mark Millar, I'm not seeing much evidence that creators are saving their best concepts for self publishing ventures, as tends to be the correlate of this argument.

Really when you look at who Image's line up of great creators are - it's almost ALL former Marvel creators who're now doing their best work. 

Best work?  Across the board?  That's pushing it.  Some of it IS great though.

However... it's not work and concepts that would fit into Marvel and DC universes.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:
5 hours ago, Logan510 said:

If the EiC comes up with a concept and asks people working for him to flesh it out you can't create new characters?

Editorial pretty much dictates things at Marvel these days.

I think this is part of the problem.  Aside from DCs latest push to try to establish new characters/titles with Silencer, Damage et al, mostly what you get is one big crossover or event after another.  The days of Marvel Premiere, and editorially sanctioned creativity seem to be gone.

3 minutes ago, 500Club said:

I think this is part of the problem.  Aside from DCs latest push to try to establish new characters/titles with Silencer, Damage et al, mostly what you get is one big crossover or event after another.  The days of Marvel Premiere, and editorially sanctioned creativity seem to be gone.

Yep.

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

Art is 1st. Like the examples given in this thread, many today's books are almost just sketches. I'll take mediocre story with fantastic art over great story with flat-sketched unimaginative art. It hurts to look at some of the stuff. 

I'm the opposite. Story is numero uno. I would read a good story if it was drawn with stick figures. Conversely, you can have Kneel Atoms drawing, and writing, and the stories are so boring and dumb I cant read em. Even tho the art is fantastic. Just try to read anything Kneel Atoms wrote and drew himself like Batman Odyssey or his Spectre books or his Continuity stuff and see if you still think art is #1.
I'll do a Reductio ad absurdum to drive my point home-let's say you have the best art ever done, but the story is two characters saying 'goo goo' 'ga ga' to each other. Good?
Conversely let's say you have a great story but no art at all, like...a good novel. Good.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:24 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Wasn't there a Super-Transvestite imaginary story involving Superman getting exposed to Red Kryptonite?

Kav could confirm this.

It was Pink Kryptonite did it to him.

pink5lr.jpg

20 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm the opposite. Story is numero uno. I would read a good story if it was drawn with stick figures. Conversely, you can have Kneel Atoms drawing, and writing, and the stories are so boring and dumb I cant read em. Even tho the art is fantastic. Just try to read anything Kneel Atoms wrote and drew himself like Batman Odyssey or his Spectre books or his Continuity stuff and see if you still think art is #1.
I'll do a Reductio ad absurdum to drive my point home-let's say you have the best art ever done, but the story is two characters saying 'goo goo' 'ga ga' to each other. Good?
Conversely let's say you have a great story but no art at all, like...a good novel. Good.

The writers are more often than not the stars in this era outside of "cover" artists. Walking Dead is all about the stories, for example. Does anyone care who the Deadpool artist is?

23 minutes ago, kav said:

Interesting. I've always been of the mind that a great story illustrated terribly is not that good, but great art can carry a bad story and even make it seem better.

After all, it's a visual medium right?

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Interesting. I've always been of the mind that a great story illustrated terribly is not that good, but great art can carry a bad story and even make it seem better.

After all, it's a visual medium right?

Well think about it-a novel is basically a great story illustrated terribly.  So bad that there's no drawings at all.  I agree great art can help carry a bad story-if it's not too bad.  But Batman Odyssey is so awful it just cant be read.

I have to admit tho that Watchmen illustrated by Frank Robbins or rob Liefeld-I would not have been able to read.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

I have to admit tho that Watchmen illustrated by Frank Robbins or rob Liefeld-I would not have been able to read.

Have you ever seen a little kid go up to a comic rack and exclaim "wow this looks so well written"! 

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

Have you ever seen a little kid go up to a comic rack and exclaim "wow this looks so well written"! 

Nope.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Do you think then that Batman Odyssey is 'good'-since the art is good?

On 2/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 2/2/2019 at 1:54 PM, kav said:

And I thought that's never happened before where a comics era was despised.

burn.jpg.a31a78021e52d50463457f2b8182c7f2.jpg

You realize those comics weren't being destroyed cause comic readers were sick of the stories as I am indicating about modern books, right?  That it's apples and oranges.  Or maybe bananas.

11 minutes ago, kav said:

Do you think then that Batman Odyssey is 'good'-since the art is good?

I haven't read it so I don't know.

I did read the new Deadman story and while I liked the concept it reminded me of some of the Kirby 4th World stuff dialog wise.

Just now, Logan510 said:

I haven't read it so I don't know.

I did read the new Deadman story and while I liked the concept it reminded me of some of the Kirby 4th World stuff dialog wise.

Thats exactly it.  He writes a bit like Kirby.  I actually like Kirby's writing cause it has a lot of enthusiasm.  Adams not so much.  I read all his Spectres and enjoyed em for what they were.  I havent read Odyssey but I have read a few pages online and it's pretty dang bad.  Like, really bad.  His Spectre stuff is Pulitzer material in comparison.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Thats exactly it.  He writes a bit like Kirby.  I actually like Kirby's writing cause it has a lot of enthusiasm.  Adams not so much.  I read all his Spectres and enjoyed em for what they were.  I havent read Odyssey but I have read a few pages online and it's pretty dang bad.  Like, really bad.  His Spectre stuff is Pulitzer material in comparison.

The man is 78 years old. I'm going to cut him a little slack.

I enjoy his work.